Main cap orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main cap orientation

I got my crank in and I have a question about the main caps, basically when I took them out and kept them in order but I don't know which direction they are suppose to be orientated does it matter? I originally put them in the way I thought they went but they didn't seem to fit then I flipped them and they fit alot better, does it matter which way they go? Here is how I currently have them

This is after I flipped them the opposite way I "thought" they went, any help is appreciated.

Personally I would not re-use bearings. Measure the main and rod bearing journals to a tenth and pick the "color" of new bearings that matches up with the journal dimensions. Also check for out of round wear. Since the tools for this are a tad pricey if this is not something that you expect to do several times it would be lots cheaper to have a machine shop take the measurements.

There are two types of bearings used based on date of manufacture. Make sure that you get the correct ones for this engine and get new rod bolts as they are one time use bolts.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks but I'm not talking about the bearings I'm talking about the main caps themselves not the bearing. I am just wondering which way the main caps go. Example do the main caps go bottom of numbers on caps to the front of the block or the bottom of the numbers to the rear of the block?

Comment

It is critical that the caps are put back EXACTLY where they came from. They are line bored. 1-7 goes front to back, imho put the caps in and torque without the crank and measure everything to be sure.
        sigpic
        Reich und Roll!

Comment

I just did this with an "e" model - but I think it is the same.

When you pull the main cap off- look at the slots in the bearings.

I believe the must match up from the cap bearing to the other journal bearing.

My slots on the e engine (with engine upside down and I was standing at the front of the engine (intermediate shaft to my left side facing me -see pic)) - the slots are situated on the right side from this point of view.
          Attached Files

Comment

Also - main caps are numbered and start with number 1 from the front (same position that I explained before)

Comment

Ya I know what order they go in, I just didn't know which way thanks for clearing it up 95BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyPrime View Post
                Ya I know what order they go in, I just didn't know which way thanks for clearing it up 95BMW.
                they only fit one way. you'll see that they get jammed up if they are flipped 180.
                Much wow
                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Well boys looks like a F'd up again, I didn't mark how the rod caps go on. I'm guessing they are specific also, just like the main caps I numbered them but didn't mark which which way they go. Please help.

Comment

Yeah, 95 said it- the indented notches for the bearing caps are both on the same sides.

As to which cap goes on which rod... the only way I found to figure that out after the
                    fact was experimentation and plasti- gauge. It sucked on a 4- banger,
                    I imagine it will suck much worse on a 6.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                      As to which cap goes on which rod... the only way I found to figure that out after the
                      fact was experimentation and plasti- gauge.
                      The rods and caps will have random numbers on the sides near the rod/cap spit, the rods and cap numbers will match.
                      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

First - just double check the arrows on the pistons - to make sure they are all pointing in the proper way (to the front or radiator end). See pic #1 these are e pistons - but the i pistons should also have it.

From the bottom looking at it from the orientation I stated earlier - you will have a couple of slots in the bearings - plural (top and bottom) -(they are offset) and for me were on the right side of the piston cap when installing . See pic #2

the stamping does not necessarily tell you the orientation ( I have one piston rod cap that is backwards from the rest) - be aware that each cap is matched with each piston rod - if these are not matched correctly you could have some serious issues (because they were balanced and matched in assembly).

for my last pic - I marked each cap to know the orientation and the sequence..
                        Attached Files

Comment

For the rod caps you can get some idea by looking at the details on the edge and matching the appearance either side of part line There is usually a subtle difference
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                            The rods and caps will have random numbers on the sides near the rod/cap spit, the rods and cap numbers will match.

True.. Have a pic of that too somewhere..

The numbers are stamped on one side - very faint - same number top and bottom. The other 5 pistons were all different random numbers..
                            Attached Files

Comment

Good to know- Thanks!

That's not true of the earlier M10's...

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X