Time Trial Brake Pad Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Trial Brake Pad Suggestions

I've got a gutted M50 track car that is in need of a pad upgrade in a major way. :) Original owner was running OEM like pads.

I need something that will heat up quickly but also with-stand the 20min sessions if need be.
    The kicker is the car will be driven to/from the track on occasion.
    ~9mi each way.

I've ran Hawk Blues on my Spec Miata and loved their performance but they were terrible if street driven. My question, is there a pad that performs like the Blues but doesn't sound like metal on metal driving down the street chewing up the rotors? I've been told the hot pad for SpecE30 is the HT-10 but I don't have any first hand knowledge of these or other newer model heavy duty pads on the market.
    I had Porterfield Carbon Kevlar R4's on my S2000 and they were tame on the street but would like a tad bit more performance on the track.

Anything that will fit my bill?
    Anyone in w. a similar situation care to share their experience?

Originally posted by j0oftheworld View Post
    I've got a gutted M50 track car that is in need of a pad upgrade in a major way. :) Original owner was running OEM like pads.

I need something that will heat up quickly but also with-stand the 20min sessions if need be.
    The kicker is the car will be driven to/from the track on occasion.
    ~9mi each way.

I've ran Hawk Blues on my Spec Miata and loved their performance but they were terrible if street driven. My question, is there a pad that performs like the Blues but doesn't sound like metal on metal driving down the street chewing up the rotors? I've been told the hot pad for SpecE30 is the HT-10 but I don't have any first hand knowledge of these or other newer model heavy duty pads on the market.
    I had Porterfield Carbon Kevlar R4's on my S2000 and they were tame on the street but would like a tad bit more performance on the track.

Anything that will fit my bill?
    Anyone in w. a similar situation care to share their experience?

There is no magical pad that is truly dual purpose. All pads have optimum temp ranges, and there aren't any that cover street temps and track temps over that wide of a range, and still wear well and have good pedal feel. The good track pads make noise. I currently run HT-10's, but only because I get them at cost. I ran Blue's before, HT-10's are much better in every way and don't destroy wheels. I'd try PFC 01's and 06's. Apparently they have the same characteristics as HT-10's, but the 06's last much longer.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I've driven HT-10s on the street, they aren't that bad - but damn, are they noisy once they're broken in! and the dust will impregnate itself into everything.

if it's not a daily, and you just want to drive it to the track it should be fine.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks! I just noticed a lot of new "names" of pads from each brand and wasn't sure what the story was w. each.
        I'll probably get HT-10s and give them a shot.

Comment

HT10 are great medium friction pads. Dust can somewhat be corrosive though.
          PF01 (Sprint race) and 06 (Endurance) have higher friction and don't have corrosive dust anymore as was the case with the previous generations.

HT10 are spec pads, so you will have no problem finding them for your OEM calipes. PF might be a problem though. Check with Bimmerworld or VAC.
          Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

I fairly regularly drive my Spec E30 on the street between race events to keep the battery charged, the seals wet, etc. I have PFC pads on the car all the time and they aren't noisy, unlike Hawk pads. For sprint races I prefer PFC 01 pads as they have a bit higher friction. For enduros of three hours or more I'll switch to PFC 06 pads for the longer life. I find that the performance of the HT10 and PFC 01 pads are pretty much the same with the exception that I think the PFC pads yield better modulation under threshold braking.

While you could run race pads all theime, they are harder on rotors than a high performance street pad. It would be far better to use an HPS type pad on the street and switch to race pads at the track. That is easy enough to do on a BMW and doesn't take a lot longer than changing tires.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

are PFC 01s about the same price as the HT-10s? I need some new track pads.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

From bimmerworld.com, PFC 01 & 06 are $120 f / $125 r, HT-10's are $110 f / $160 r
                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

How do PFC 01s compare to Hawk HP or HPS? I need new pads for autocross and I currently dd this car so I don't want them to be super loud on the street etc.
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Hi Jean

The PF01s are serious race pads with tons of grip. While easy to use and live with. Get PF06 if you are not for the ultimate grip as these are Endurance pads with longer life.

The HPS are barely street pads with a bit more grip than OEM. Barely.

They are not in the same ballpark at all.
                    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

yeah, HPS are a low temp, low-dust street pad. they work fine for autox, but don't even think about tracking with them.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Are the PF 278 shape pads appropriate for Girling front calipers? Or do I need Ates, or does it not matter?

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Try "Raceshopper.com" for a better price on the HT10
                          FWIW I run HT10s on my track car and they are a really good pad....I also drive it on the street on occassion and the pads are fine with plenty of bite although as mentioned earlier ...NOISY!

2.7L M20 11:1 COMP 195 whp Dyno Dynamics 2380lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee
                            Get PF06 if you are not for the ultimate grip as these are Endurance pads with longer life.
                            I'm gonna look into these.

Originally posted by Dyno4mance View Post
                            Try "Raceshopper.com" for a better price on the HT10
                            FWIW I run HT10s on my track car and they are a really good pad....I also drive it on the street on occassion and the pads are fine with plenty of bite although as mentioned earlier ...NOISY!
                            Thanks for the heads-up on raceshopper.com - I requested a quote. +1 on the noise generator called HT10 :p
                            I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

And the HP+ are the ultimate street/autox pad if you can tolerate the noise, BUT they are NOT to be used on track. They have amazing bite right up to the time when they overheat, at which point it drops off a cliff with no warning.

I run the HP+ on both my M3 and my S50 E30, but I would never take them out on track for more than two laps with these pads.
                              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Working...