Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Power hits a wall at 4k rpm exactly

Hi guys,

I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. I have a M20 swapped 2002 and it drive around great. But anywhere above 1/4 throttle going up the rpm the range the car just hits a wall at 4k and doesn't accelerate past that. If it is less than 1/4 throttle, it goes all the way to redline cleanly.

CPS? AFM? My AFM is mounted sideways, hopefully that doesn't affect anything.

See if the CPS is loose where it bolts onto its little bracket. Happened to me.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Yup, first check the gap on the sensor to crank wheel. Loosen the 13mm bolts on the bracket and adjust it a little.

Next thing I would check is the AFM. They tend to get dead spots on the wiper track and when you open throttle slowly, it may not be "snapping" open that far.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

CPS, and don't put a cheap ass aftermarket one on there either. BMW or OEM only.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Thanks, nice to see you're all at the same consensus. What is the gap on the CPS? or is it even adjustable?

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Yup, first check the gap on the sensor to crank wheel. Loosen the 13mm bolts on the bracket and adjust it a little.
            Originally posted by nerdydorkus View Post
            Thanks, nice to see you're all at the same consensus. What is the gap on the CPS? or is it even adjustable?
            Yes. The bracket has wiggle room where it's bolted to the block.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Had a similar problem and it ended up being fuel delivery. A new fuel pump solved it.

Comment

Working...
              X