M54. Let the foolishness begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M54. Let the foolishness begin.

I have the motor. It's nice and shiny all over! It needs some attention before I can even begin to think about getting it running or installing it.

I'm stubborn so I'm sure I'll make something interesting out of it.
    Attached Files

Awesome! I want it, gimme? lol
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

-Wow, nice. b25 or b30? Are you keeping it OBD 2 or converting? Tell us!!!!
      1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
        -Wow, nice. b25 or b30? Are you keeping it OBD 2 or converting? Tell us!!!!
        Oh... details, details... It's a b30 out of a 330 w/automatic. I don't see anyway I can keep it OBDII at this point. I don't quite have the "skilz" to defeat EWS.

My first task is to pull the head and get it physically up to task, that may not even happen and I'll be left with a junk head and some nice internals, although I think it will be Ok.

My inclination on this motor is to go standalone injection and then develop a dual-VANOS controller. I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm still looking at the shiny block...

Comment

-I am soooo jealous like a lotta bit!
          -But I may have an m54b30 in the lines too. Warped head and pulled block threads; but the crank = stroker time
          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Dual VANOS
            Alum block

FTW

Good luck, I am very interested in this build!

Comment

same if this works out then im getting rid of my s52 and going s54 ;)

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

It's interesting what you find when you start looking...

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                  I'm stubborn so I'm sure I'll make something interesting out of it.
                  Mid-engined e30?
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

wow. thats a good price too for the bracket

www.gutenparts.com
                    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

oh no a local swap I am subscribed!
                      looking for a e30m50 swap harness adapter pm me $150 shipped
                      email nitroman12@gmail.com

Comment

Oh hell yes!!!!! This will be awesome :D

Comment

The motor came apart like butter and I've had a good look at the head. I was hoping for the "Eureka!" moment when I could see what was causing it to blow white smoke but couldn't find that. No visible cracks in the exhaust valve seat area like I feared.

So, it's off to the machine shop for pressure testing. At this point it was either just a squooshed head gasket or a there's a crack somewhere else in the water jacket.

It also looks straight with the best straight edge I have.

Could I be lucky enough that it's just the head gasket??

Comment

Check for a crack in the area between #5 and #6 spark plug bores in the top of the head. I've seen about a dozen of them. Usually the tell tail sign is the milkshake lookin coolant. And I'd recommend replacing the camshaft ledges (trays) and all lifters...depending on mileage and visible scoring on either surfaces.

Comment

Badass! The only M54b30 swap I've seen hauled ass. Good luck mate!

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                              RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Working...
                              X