The Turbo 325ix build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Turbo 325ix build!

So, 6 weeks deep and im just now finding the time to write up a build thread. heres some back ground- the cars an 89 325ix. its been pampered by old people since it was imported until the PO threw some GC on there and wanted to track the car. i picked her up for 4500. the idea is to start out very low budget and get a working turbo in place. from there ill upgrade when possible.

The car before the build

stroker build: picked it up for 400 plus shipping. I 885 head mated to an 88 528e bottom end. metric blue head studs all new gaskets.

pulling the old engine (for sale by the way)

oil return. shittiest weld ive ever seen by a good shop. zeiglers in olympia did this. i just hope it holds

crinkle paint FTW

finally dropping it in.

Thats all for now. more and frequent updates to come!

PS if any one has a bucket seat or two hit me up. dont have to be pretty just cheap.
    Last edited by IxTech; 03-26-2011, 05:41 PM.
    sigpic

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201774

good luck. this is my eventual plan too.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

thanks! how do you feel about the miller WAR chip? ive only heard good things about them and since im not gunning for ungodly HP i think it would suite my application well.
      sigpic

Comment

What manifold are you using?

Comment

Bucket seats?

I have a pair of Corbeau Forza Pros (Black w/ red insert). Awesome shape, came out of my show car. Have sidemounts...

I'm in Tacoma, interested?

Comment

Originally posted by dan325iX View Post
            What manifold are you using?
            its cx racing. i do not recommend btw.

Originally posted by Dirtsquirt View Post
            Bucket seats?

I have a pair of Corbeau Forza Pros (Black w/ red insert). Awesome shape, came out of my show car. Have sidemounts...

I'm in Tacoma, interested?
            hellz ya. how much? im strapped for monies right now. pm me
            sigpic

Comment

that weld on oilreturn looks sketchy. looks like the amps were too low and they just
              layered the shit out of the filler rod. I'd take the pan off and see if there's good penetration. maybe they beveled it. regardless, looks like a sweet build. can't wait to see more!

Originally posted by Ryan...
              It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

I would have just tapped the block while the motor was out of the car. Other then that looks like a solid start. If your going to use MS i have a decent base map for you.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Aren't the IX blocks different from normal m20s?

Comment

i might do MS at some point but for now i think the WAR chip will suffice. thanks though.
                    yeah i was thinking about tapping the block but just decided not to for now. i can always weld a patch on the oilpan and redo shit with nice stainless lines.

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                    Aren't the IX blocks different from normal m20s?
                    YES! but it wasnt that bad. i had to bend my dipstick to clear the beefier motor mounts. and i had to buy longer bolts for the motor mounts as well. also the oil pumps are different.
                    sigpic

Comment

Dam.. looks good so far! good luck
                      no more boosted m20, 91 318i...

Comment

Subscribed . . .
                        From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters.

Originally posted by lambo
                        Fuck studying. Party hard.

Comment

Love the stance. Why wouldnt you recommend the cx racing manifold? Wheel info? Turbo info? Power guestimates? Good luck with it man. Mine is comming soon...I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by madman23 View Post
                            Love the stance. Why wouldnt you recommend the cx racing manifold? Wheel info? Turbo info? Power guestimates? Good luck with it man. Mine is comming soon...I hope.
                            thanks, the wheels are motegi mr7 16x? (never payed too close of attention, the PO installed these) ET35. im hoping to find something a little more flush or just buy some spacers.

the manifold is nice because it clears the oil filter and places the WG in a pretty nice spot. i just dont like it because its low-ish quality in my opinion and places the turbo kind of low and far back so i dont have much say in the position of the compresser housing.

the turbo is branded as a gt35 but its not a garrett. close specs though. well to start its going to be tuned at 8psi. with the 2.7l stroker with 30lb injectors and a good tune im guessing high 200's. maybe thats being modest. after i work out all the kinks, upgrade a few details and start increasing boost levels (not going past 15lbs on stock internals to be safe) i dont think id exceed 350-400 whp.

BTW-im using a 3" stainless exhaust with free flow cats. im hacking off the ricey muffler if i dont like it and going to use a magnaflow. or just straight pipe it

eh just kidding thats too loud to put up with sometimes.
                            sigpic

Comment

Update 3/25/11

got my ralco short shifter today so i was able to install that and get on with mating the engine and tranny. my goal for the day was to to get the engine and subframe all mounted too. (ix oil pan requires you to drop the subframe to get the engine in and out).

short shifter all mounted and rebuilt some of the linkage parts.

SUCCESS!!1 got it all together

messing around trying to get the shifter through the hole. the dust boot is a biatch! gonna wait until the tranny is mounted then use a little brake fluid to slip it over the shift mechanism.

got it in and bolted up

tomorrow ill finish bolting that up. if im up to it ill start installing my drive shafts. but i feel like my body could use a break from crawling around on the ground. maybe ill start buttoning shit up in the engine bay. route fmic?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X