Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tweeter install in a non premium sound car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tweeter install in a non premium sound car.

Can someone give me some advice on how this is done?
    I've done a lot of research and all the articles i've found thus far are not very helpful.
    I'm attempting to wire the tweeters in a 91' 318IS I have OE front component speakers and OE tweeters to match.
    If someone would do a writeup on this it would be very beneficial to a lot of people!

There's not much one can write up about.

Here's what I did with 2 part epoxy and Infinity tweets:

Not too pretty - but you won't see it - and they aren't going anywhere..
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

All I had done is gut the OE tweet and glue in the new one. Its low tech but works.
      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Even better.
        Small dab of super glue or something for OE tweets
        (how old are those anyway? lol)

Needed to use epoxy for the aftermarket units..

Comment

there is a wire already waiting on the door for the tweeters to be installed.
          i just did this last week. i installed a OEM premium sound system in a non ps car.
          pry the tweeter delete off carefully and then you will see the wire/ terminals waiting for the tweeters.

Then you in the kick panel, remove the speakers and look for the wire that corresponds to the same color as the tweeter wire. it is not connected to anything and there is a terminal attached to it.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
          ---------------------------------
          89 E30 S52
          Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Premium speaker + tweeter retrofit

Tweeter wiring should look like this with the premium speakers.

Sorry for the ugliness, that is from my donor car which I followed so I can get the tweeter working.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
            89 E30 S52
            Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
              Even better.
              Small dab of super glue or something for OE tweets
              (how old are those anyway? lol)

Needed to use epoxy for the aftermarket units..
              Dont use super glue. You may want to upgrade one day. He ussed hot glue. It fills in the gaps quite well. And then if u want to change them it cuts right out.
              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

A good quality super glue is best/easiest. Hot glue inevitably melts, epoxy is a bitch to get off, but you can flex the glue points just a bit and super glue pops right out.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Aw jeez. Quite right. Was thinking the installation of tweets to tweet pods there at first..

As mentioned - factory provides 'door wiring' so it's an easy matter to plug in at just under the sail panel - and at the kick panel.

Jesus Christ bernz - lol

New tweeter pods w/ tweets are like $70+ each so the pods/panels alone are desirable. Many, (like myself) source old/used ones and swap in tweets from a fresh/new component set.

Comment

Thanks to Luke for all the support in helping me with the wiring.

I bow down to your superior knowledge. :-D
                    89 E30 S52
                    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

thanks guys, after looking at the wiring diagram for awhile i figured it out very easily. the OE speakers and tweeters sound great! my system sounds amazing for a 20 year old car.

Comment

Did you plug the tweeter wires into the stock connectors? If so, I think you are running the risk of blowing them out. The cars with factory installed "premium sound" had crossovers in there to protect the tweeters. You should see about crossing the tweeters over, unless you have some sort of component system crossover in there already (in which case, you are fine).

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                          Did you plug the tweeter wires into the stock connectors? If so, I think you are running the risk of blowing them out. The cars with factory installed "premium sound" had crossovers in there to protect the tweeters. You should see about crossing the tweeters over, unless you have some sort of component system crossover in there already (in which case, you are fine).
                          would this be a concern if you had an aftermarket HU?

Comment

the BMW premium speakers already have the crossovers soldered on the back of the speakers. so it's fine to connect them to the original wiring harness. it's not affected by the HU. well, it does in terms of the awesomeness of the sound output.
                            89 E30 S52
                            Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by bernzpeed View Post
                              the BMW premium speakers already have the crossovers soldered on the back of the speakers. so it's fine to connect them to the original wiring harness. it's not affected by the HU. well, it does in terms of the awesomeness of the sound output.
                              ahh thanks for chiming in christian. so with regard to the kick panel speakers. are they the same between regular and premium equipped systems?

Comment

Working...
                              X