E30 v8 cabrio "gentleman edition" *finished and sold*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 v8 cabrio "gentleman edition" *finished and sold*

Greetings from Finland to all of You BMW fans in this forum! We wanted to bring this project also into your attention as we believe that especially E30 and old school minded BMW enthusiasts would find the project interesting. Personally, I am a new face to this forum so please excuse any possible “rookie mistakes” in opening this thread :)

As this is a project thread I will try to aim for efficiency in terms of text amount. In brief, the idea hereunder is to swap a V8 engine into a 325iA E30 cabriolet (yearmodel 1987) which I purchased from Germany in Spring 2011. The whole car will be basically re-built with quality parts and “enough” extras. The project call-name “Gentleman Edition” indicates automatic transmission, air conditioning, cruise control and original Recaro sport seats with electric adjustments, all genuine BMW parts of course. Visually the aim is to have a strong contrast: black exterior (Diamond Schwartz Metallic) combined with white leather interior. The rims are original 16” from E28 M5. All in all we aim to a solid sleeper look, however equipped with a strong V8 heart and having everything executed by a neat prudent OEM+ mindset.
    The project has commenced on Spring 2011 by purchasing the E30 cabrio along with miscellaneous parts. The actual stripping of E30 body began in Autumn 2011. There is a project “picture-book” uploaded at http://v8cabrio.kuvat.fi. We are now phasing the joyful momentum of having the body being shipped to painter for complete respray.
    That positive milestone explains us setting up the project topic now.

The project is not an easy wholeness to put together, a special knowhow from various angles is a must requirement. Therefore I have gathered a special group of experts in Finland, each possessing a unique skill needed for this project. The key role of Project Manager and “Chief Technical Architect” in this V8 CABRIO project is played by the Jonsku, also known in this forum already earlier I believe. In my opinion, Jonsku has strong credits and a unique reference of implementing a factory-style V8 swap to an E30 body so having his talents and knowhow included here was a major kick-off for the whole project. In addition, Mr. Kai Paavola will paint the body of the car whereas a Finnish BMW enthusiast Rockford will cover the other painting related tasks. Leather interior is stitched by famous Khrelix Design www.kxd.fi and hifi+music turf is reserved for Simex www.simex.fi and Autostudio www.autostudio.fi. The car will equipped with a huge number of original parts, so naturally the part suppliers Toni and Mirva from Schmiedmann www.schmiedmann.fi play an important role hereunder. All in all, there are tough guys gathered into a tough team to conclude a tough project.

You all are warmly welcomed to visit the pictures and follow the progress of this V8 CABRIO project!
    Last edited by Tr79; 09-17-2012, 12:29 AM.

Many thanks to Topi for the opening post. When asked by Topi if I’d like to step in to this project, I didn’t have to think for long - this is a rare chance to be able to implement most of my crazy (or silly? :)) ideas from my earlier V8 swap into E30!

Anyway, putting long story short; as a start an BMW M60 combined with automatic transmission is somewhat challenging package to swap into E30 body, mostly because of the physical measures but also due to all the fiddling with auxiliaries. Especially the gearbox is quite a monster:

Also climate control causes some ”extra fun” in the engine bay, together with cruise control and other parts.. Well, everything is possible and after having seen a couple of examples in the world of automatic V8 E30, it seemed that this would be something that is actually doable. :)

Well, what then has been done so far? Actually quite a lot I might say! :) The body has been totally stripped and we do agree that M60 really is bigger than M20:

As stated earlier, basically all parts that are put back on are either brand new or painted / fixed / upgraded. And as can be seen from the pictures, there really are “a few” new parts. The diff will be equipped with Z3M finned cover, as much as for the aesthetics as well as for the cooling effect. LSD with 2.93 ratio will be also put in.

The engine itself fits in the ‘bay quite nicely, just like in my previous project. Though in this case the climate compressor and autobox required bit more space..

- E34 M5 (x 2) -
    - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
    - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
    - E46 318i Touring -
    - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

The engine itself is attached to the frame rails with original M60 engine mounts around 15cm forward compared to front subframe (this won’t be a track-car so weight-distribution isn’t #1). The gearbox mount is combined with the cabrio-only reinforcement-piece. As the coolant reservoir is not E34/E32 - unit, we were able to avoid dropping front subframe while still maintaining pretty horizontal alignment on the engine-gearbox.

The brake linkage / booster are done by modifying E34 V8 parts, which is actually pretty easy job and since this car is an automatic, the “brake linkage offset” can be included in the brake pedal inside the cabin (as there is no clutch-pedal on the way).

One of the most common problems in these E30 V8 swaps are the exhaust manifolds. This time I solved the problem by using X5 manifolds; quite an easy task altogether as it took only two-three hours to modify them and one can actually put them into place when the engine is in its place. Now afterwards thinking, I could have made similar solution also with my previous cabrio project instead of doing completely one-off manifolds… well, you live and you learn.

As for suspension setup we chose H&R Cup Kit with 35-35 drop. The front will be a bit lower due to engine weight so the stance will be suitable for this type of “Gentleman Edition”. As Topi stated, he wished to have the classic Style5 16” rims (originally for E28 M5), and therefore we had to think a new setup for the bolt-pattern:
      -Front; E36 hub, 300mm M-B brake disc, Porsche Boxter S 4-piston calipers
      -Rear; E30 M3 hub, 294mm E46 brake-disc, Porsche Boxter 4-piston calipers

Brake parts are the courtesy of 9Products. He’ll be able to do the adapters quite quickly after this first “proto-set”, in case you’re interested ;)

Finally, a few words about the engine. It is a basic M60B30 with updated intake manifold & MAF from the bigger brother along with the stronger ZF5HP30 gearbox. It will be interesting to see what type of numbers will be taken out with these modifications from this version in dyno after adjustments.

Well, what’s next? Upon completion of the painting by Christmas it is time to put the silky-gloves on and begin the enjoyable phase of putting it all together with new parts. First smokes are aimed to be taken during January and this V8 CABRIO will be presented in local “Tuning / American Car Show” around Easter-time in Helsinki in the beginning of April 2012.

More pictures can be found at http://v8cabrio.kuvat.fi/kuvat/
      - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
      - E46 318i Touring -
      - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

At 9Products facilities
        It takes three Porsche men to test fit some Porsche brakes to BMW wheel :)

Boxster calipers on BMW E46 rotors

Test fitting M3 hubs, needs adapter here

Comment

Awesome!!

Eagerly awaiting updates :D
          Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
          Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
          Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
          Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

Thumbs up for yet another E30 V8 project :)
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
              Thumbs up for yet another E30 V8 project :)
              Seriously! These write-up's are making this less daunting!
              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Nice project indeed! And who wouldn't want that "dream team" of enthusiasts working on their Gentleman's Edition? Good choice in project managers... I'm sure this will be another stunning OEM+ build from Jonsku!;) Eagerly awaiting more updates!

Garey

Comment

Awesome build! I love the attention to detail. The frame rail clearance modification looks great.

If you get a chance, would you mind taking a few more pictures of the brake booster mounting brackets and linkages? I am trying to work out how to set that stuff up now, and it looks like your brackets alleviate the need for some of the factory brackets, which would be nice. Any details or pics you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
                  85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                  e30 restoration and V8 swap
                  24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

You guys in Finland do the best builds.

Is it because you are snowed in the shop for 3 months at a time and have to keep warm?

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Estimated cost of this project???
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                      IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                        If you get a chance, would you mind taking a few more pictures of the brake booster mounting brackets and linkages? I am trying to work out how to set that stuff up now, and it looks like your brackets alleviate the need for some of the factory brackets, which would be nice. Any details or pics you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
                        There will be more pictures once I get the chance to put it all back together. Been too busy with all the things that haven't really had time to run around with the camera :)

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post
                        You guys in Finland do the best builds.

Is it because you are snowed in the shop for 3 months at a time and have to keep warm?

Haha, that has to be the reason! :)

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                        Estimated cost of this project???
                        Does it really matter? :)
                        - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                        - E46 318i Touring -
                        - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Ok, now the car is in the painter's and going to be ready by xmas.

Got also couple of powder-coated parts back..

- E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                          - E46 318i Touring -
                          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Finally managed to complete all the small things and bolted the 'box to the engine.

Next begins the best part - bolting all fresh parts to here;

Additional pictures can be found at: http://v8cabrio.kuvat.fi
                            - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                            - E46 318i Touring -
                            - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

so bauss

Check Us out on Facebook
                              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                              Full Product Line Tuning
                              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X