Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 years - 1991 325ix, Stroker/5-Speed (N52 swap?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is?

Comment

Hopefully, ews3 delete. I have to hook it up and bench test.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

So this happened..

The guy was worried that i dont have a hoist, but this motor is so light we just picked it up off the back of his truck and sat it on a dolly. :-)
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Wait...are you putting an M50/52 into your IX?!
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

Haha, Chris, I read back a little in the thread - I'm totally with you on a list of things that need to be done. My e30 has just been pushed back and forth for the last 14 months - needed a timing belt and I've just been trying to get other things done first.

Now I don't feel so bad about my roof - finally joining the no clear coat club! haha Although my entire cirrus blue roof is silver - no paint left at all. The top of my doors are going south now too. At least I don't feel bad leaving it parked outside now. ;)

Still a gorgeous car, as always! ;)
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

About time!

Gonna be ready for the picnic this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                Wait...are you putting an M50/52 into your IX?!
                Its not an m50, no. Its an N52B30. Also happens to be the lightest inline 6 ever made by BMW. :-)

I have been working on a 24v swap for 5 years lol. Original plan was S54, but when i got my E90 land barge i realized i didn't want to ruin the nimbleness of the E30. The S54 is about 150lbs heavier than the N52.. Thats a lot of weight for the front of an ix!

Plans are custom intake (no throttle, no maf), modified cams, solid lifters, headers. Looking for at least a 7500rpm redline, possibly 8k (stock is 7k). There is potential for 300bhp, but it will take some time!

This engine will minimally get a rebuilt head, new seals and rod bearings. Need to check the cylinders to see if a deglaze and re ring is neccesary. Internals will remain pretty stock.

The only unknown now is fabricating the oil pan - i have a plan but i need a talented fabricator.

I did a quick check today and the m20 pilot bearing fits right into the crank, so my 24v getrag will bolt right up. Will use an aluminum single mass flywheel & E34 M5 clutch.

All in all i would like double the power of the stock m20 and less weight. First step is getting it on a stand!
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                  About time!

Gonna be ready for the picnic this year?
                  No unfortunately i doubt it. Car is likely to be in peices by then.. Hopefully. :-P

Good thing is my wife will want me to finish it so no excuses!
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    Its not an m50, no. Its an N52B30. Also happens to be the lightest inline 6 ever made by BMW. :-)

I have been working on a 24v swap for 5 years lol. Original plan was S54, but when i got my E90 land barge i realized i didn't want to ruin the nimbleness of the E30. The S54 is about 150lbs heavier than the N52.. Thats a lot of weight for the front of an ix!

Plans are custom intake (no throttle, no maf), modified cams, solid lifters, headers. Looking for at least a 7500rpm redline, possibly 8k (stock is 7k). There is potential for 300bhp, but it will take some time!

This engine will minimally get a rebuilt head, new seals and rod bearings. Need to check the cylinders to see if a deglaze and re ring is neccesary. Internals will remain pretty stock.

The only unknown now is fabricating the oil pan - i have a plan but i need a talented fabricator.

I did a quick check today and the m20 pilot bearing fits right into the crank, so my 24v getrag will bolt right up. Will use an aluminum single mass flywheel & E34 M5 clutch.

All in all i would like double the power of the stock m20 and less weight. First step is getting it on a stand!
                    Sheesh...shows how well I can identify an engine! I should have known that an M52 couldn't be lifted by two people easily. haha

That sounds awesome! Looking forward to seeing more!

What will happen to your stroker? I've been considering doing more work to mine, but go back and forth on putting more moeny into my m20 or putting it into a different engine...
                    - Sean Hayes

Comment

Im going to part it out - pistons, cam, headers, megasquirt 3 will be up for sale.

Yeah, i have an S52 block in the garage, i hate dragging that thing around, its damn heavy!
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

are you sure its 150lb lighter apples to apples?
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Its hard to know exactly what the quoted weights include but either way the difference is significant. The manesum/aluminum block is pretty dang light.

Hopefully i will be able to weigh the n52 and m20 to have a better and more direct comparison.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yeah thats why i asked thought you might have better data as idiots are still allowed post garbage data on the internet.

The complexity of these newer engines would scare me wouldn't want anything to go wrong, thats one reason i stuck to the m20 its simple even though agricultural.
                            Last edited by digger; 01-02-2016, 12:02 AM.
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

that engine choice sound so awesome...Cannot wait to see it running etc etc
                              https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                              https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Hey Nando i will be paying really REALLY close attention to that n52 swap. I cannot wait to see how you adapt the e34ix driveline to it. I'm assuming you are going to use the e34 driveline.
                                Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X