No announcement yet.

My dash! My dash! O my God my dash!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason a dash cracks is because the foam under the vinyl expands and contract differently than the vinyl. When the dashes are new, the vinyl is able to stretch and flex more, but as they get older, the vinyl becomes harder and instead of flexing, it cracks. This is why using a dash protectant that actually conditions the vinyl is important.

Info on Armor All:

Like the others said, go to safeway and grab a Visa Gift card. It's basically a prepaid debit card. Originally Posted by Coastalf350 I dont like it bu

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
      The reason a dash cracks is because the foam under the vinyl expands and contract differently than the vinyl. When the dashes are new, the vinyl is able to stretch and flex more, but as they get older, the vinyl becomes harder and instead of flexing, it cracks. This is why using a dash protectant that actually conditions the vinyl is important.

Info on Armor All:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-question.html
      So on the forum the consensus is if you had the old formula armoall from the 70s and 80s it was bad but now its substandard but wont crack your dash... unless I am missing that it doesnt condition the vinyl?

the other point I got was people recommending other products but no mention as to if it conditions the vinyl or not.

insight?

edit: I quick google search scares me, found a hotrod forum where a friend of a user uses tranny fluid to condition the dash... wtf

My don't quote me list:

Originally posted by george graves
      I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

Comment

Basically most guys don't like it because it leaves a slimy, high gloss finish that collects dust. There are better products for the same amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by travis816 View Post
          were would you find those at?
          Do a quick google search. I know they have them on eBay but I would do a little research for the best brand. You almost can't tell you have one on when its on. I'm going to buy one soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

The new dashes from BMW are supposed to be a different material to prevent cracking like the new BMWs.

Here is what I use for the 10+ years:

Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
            BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Driving the other day, it was pretty cold. I hit a bump and heard this really loud crack. I thought a large rock had struck the window, and started looking for a chip. Didn't see anything.

When I got to work though I saw what had happened. The dash split from the defrost vent and through the little storage tray. Amazing.

Comment

Can anyone confirm the new dash? What about the center console and tray? If I were to order all 3 x new, are they all the same material now? Would like to finish my interior restoration!
                1997 Artic Silver M3
                CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Originally posted by LoneWolf View Post
                  Driving the other day, it was pretty cold. I hit a bump and heard this really loud crack. I thought a large rock had struck the window, and started looking for a chip. Didn't see anything.

When I got to work though I saw what had happened. The dash split from the defrost vent and through the little storage tray. Amazing.
                  That sucks man, sorry to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                  1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                  1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                  1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                  1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                  1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                  Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                  1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                  1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
                    Can anyone confirm the new dash? What about the center console and tray? If I were to order all 3 x new, are they all the same material now? Would like to finish my interior restoration!
                    The ebrake console has a different finish than the original, I bought one about 2 years ago for my car. It's close enough but it's still noticable to someone who might care.
                    I believe that all the new dashes have the newer finish as well.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

My e30 came with newer dashboard (I guess PO installed it), it's definitely softer and got much smoother surface texture.
                      sigpic

Comment

I live in hot climate. I found out that using Vaseline then let is melt in the sun and let the dash soak, will reduce cracks and further drying of dashboard. If your dash just developed a crack it is too late, the material simply lost its oils do to evaporation. If you buy a brand new dash that was manufactured within few years and you keep oiling it, it will never crack. Problem is even if you find brand new dash at the dealer, it was probably made 20 years ago and it is too dry to save it anyway and will simply crack, but the cracks won't widen too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven View Post
                          Armoral is badddddddddd..

x1,000
                          it's total shit.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Just got a new dash from the yard, $50.00 bucks took it out in 10 minutes, cause everything else was gone as far as climate control units steering wheel and cluster and shit. wel.. it has a 1/4 inch clack on the passenger side, you cant even see it because it's behind the downward molding. One thing I noticed about this dash thou, it looks very dry, and full of dust, so I cleaned with soap and water, now I want to moistorize it, maybe reconditioner shampoo? LOL IDK! anyone here have reconditioned a dash? best product, advices. Sorry OP, Im kinda in the same situation as you, and dude, get a dash from the yard, its cheap.
                            sigpic

Comment

also, found this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1QqO5ZfAM
                              sigpic

Comment

I found this while poking around for a fix for my dash: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/i...-pictures.html

A buddy of mine gave me a old dash he had lying around and I decided to give it a try. I Will post pictures and results when I am finished with the dash. I am about halfway through with it and so far it is looking promising....

Comment

Working...
                                X