Let's talk about track day brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk about track day brakes

The Brembo/Hawk HPS setup I have now is fine for the street, though I think I've outgrown it for track day use. As I've read from a handful of people, their effectiveness drops off when they get hot requiring increased pedal pressure/travel. I experienced this at my last HPDE and had to start backing up my brake points as it got later in the sessions.

From what I've gathered in my reading this far, that may have also been a function of the use of stock DOT4 fluid (despite being fresh), the old stock lines, a missing duct, or some combination of all of those.

To eliminate some of those potential culprits I will be replacing the stock DOT4 fluid with either ATE 200 or Motul RBF 600 (I bought both), installing Turner stainless lines and replacing the missing brake duct on the passenger side. I'm running an E32 booster with a 25mm MC.

With all that in mind, what are some current recommendations for pads and rotors to be used in an HPDE/track day setting? I'm not opposed to a dedicated setup for the track, although since I will be driving the car to the event, ideally I would like to be able to install whatever I'll be using before making the trip (which is 98% interstate).
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

PFC 08, quality rotors, fresh quality DOT4 fluid, and you are done.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Yeah, it's a no-brainer when 08s are $130 and 11s are $110 an axle. I would bring an extra set of rotors in case they crack.

New lines certainly make sense if you've never replaced them.

HPS and HP+ both are inadequate for serious track work. They are good autocross pads but that's it.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Yep, I run PFC 08's and the cheapest rotors I can find on World-Pac on my Spec E30. I beat on the thing in 40 minute races without the slightest bit of brake fade. If anything, my tires started dropping off and lengthened my brake zones. I also run ATE 200 with cooling ducts that terminate directly on the rotor.
        75' M42 Powered 2002
        AW 318is

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
          x2. I've not ever had a stock type rotor crack in 14 hour enduro using this setup. - AB

Comment

HPS are shit. stop buying them!
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well, they have been great for what I needed when I first built the car, which was a street vehicle that would see an occasional autocross. Now that I'm doing more track days it's time to get something for that purpose.

Thanks for all the replies thus far fellas!
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                Originally posted by FredK View Post
                Yeah, it's a no-brainer when 08s are $130 and 11s are $110 an axle. I would bring an extra set of rotors in case they crack.
                Originally posted by MX339 View Post
                Yep, I run PFC 08's and the cheapest rotors I can find on World-Pac on my Spec E30. I beat on the thing in 40 minute races without the slightest bit of brake fade. If anything, my tires started dropping off and lengthened my brake zones. I also run ATE 200 with cooling ducts that terminate directly on the rotor.
                Originally posted by B1mmer View Post
                x2. I've not ever had a stock type rotor crack in 14 hour enduro using this setup. - AB
                +1 on all of this. We run PFC 08 on our LeMons/Chump car and can out-brake most anything on the track for 12+ hours straight (though we've never cracked a rotor).

Comment

As if the PFC 08's need any more praise, we ran ~10hrs at the Glen and ~23hrs straight at Homestead road course on the same set of pad and finished 3mm from the backing plates. There wasn't a car that out-braked us either, no ducting (value add last year with no room left in points budget). The 23 hrs were broken up with a 1hr red flag for fog but other than that the car was running the whole race. Pretty good pads.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Are you guys running 08s F&R?

Comment

F+R is the key to success. We wear rears down almost as fast as fronts.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Good to know. I was just asking because coming from an S2000 people liked to run a different compound in rear.

Comment

would you suggest replacing the brake master cylinder as well? and rebuilt calipers?

Comment

Make sure you bed them in before heading out to the track, that makes a big difference.
                            sigpic

Comment

Rebuild the calipers if you can (or buy rebuilt). You will be amazed at the brown muck that's behind the caliper piston...

I run 08's in the track car like everyone else and absolutely love them.

I have cracked a rotor - but it took 2 years and over 15 track days with 2 drivers, so more like 30 track days. That was also over 2 sets of pads. Probably a good idea to replace the rotors each time you do the pads. It's cheap insurance.

Comment

Working...
                              X