No announcement yet.

Let's talk about track day brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good thread, going through this right now with sorting the brakes. So far as the master cylinder goes, you guys just use whatever reman you can get?

Comment

I just have one from a 320i (S52 car). The brakes aren't confidence inspiring, but they're there. With the cheap NAPA rotors and the PFC 08 pads I had no trouble getting the car hauled down from 140 MPH to nail a 45 MPH right-hander. I'd buy those PFCs again. And the NAPA rotors are good 'n cheap.
      sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

My Raybestos st43s actually cracked after last week's track day at Buttonwillow Raceway. Was around 100 degrees outside. I've ran the st43s for a couple of years without problems, but this calls for a change. Just bought PFC08s and swapping Girling calipers for Ate with all the brass stuff. Already running brake ducts and stock rotors. 2600lbs s52 track car. Will be running Autoclub Speedway next weekend on new setup and will update after.

Here's the st43 after last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
          I've been running HP+ for a couple of years now with no issues also. However, I'm using a Massive brake kit and running on 200 tread wear tires. Also, my regular track (Putnam Park) is not a heavy-braking track.

Out of curiosity, how sticky of a tire are you running?
          I finally outgrew my HP+ pads this year. The fronts were not an issue, since I think the Massive brake kit in front kept them reasonably cool. The rears however overheated and acted unpredictably.

I just installed some HT-10 pads and bed them in last night. I'll get to try them on the track this weekend. First impressions from bedding them in were very surprising. When these things get hot, they GRAB! Rather than pressing the pedal harder and they warm up, I'm pressing less. It's going to take a little getting used to.
          -Brandon
          '86 325es S50
          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
          S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Ran at autoclub speedway today on new pfc08s. Felt good, didn't fade, plenty of stopping power. Rebuilt ate calipers and brass bushings were also an improvement over the girling calipers I had.

Comment

Can someone provide me wth a link to pfc 08 compounds for e30. Where are you guys buying them?

Comment

Bimmerworld had them for about the same price earlier this year, though I can't seem to find them on their mobile site.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

so it seems the PFC 08 is the way to go, but if this is a daily driver and occasional track car, what would you guys do in that situation? swap pads? or is there a good medium?... especially since the z-rated that were mentioned above arent available for us.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Cross drilled brake pads, they are lighter ;)

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                        Cross drilled brake pads, they are lighter ;)
                        this is one of the rare threads on r3v that has stayed on topic, lets try to keep it that way :up:

any other input for those "weekend warriors" like me?
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I find that standard ATE pads work great on the street and even the most spirited hills hooning. I'd like to know how they perform on track though considering they're less than half the price of these track pads.
                          Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 08-10-2015, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            so it seems the PFC 08 is the way to go, but if this is a daily driver and occasional track car, what would you guys do in that situation? swap pads? or is there a good medium?
                            My occasional track car is not a DD. If it were though, I'd probably do a dedicated set of pads and rotors for street use (only) and another set of both for the track.
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

swap pads?
                              This. After you've done a season or 2, none of the 'dual purpose' pads will hold up very well.

I know the pad people hate it, but the ATE street pads are pretty forgiving of track rotors, and I've never
                              had a problem with race pads not just re- facing the rotors as soon as you get some heat into them.

There are always exceptions, of course.

Or the 'instructor' approach was just to run street pads, and when they started to
                              fade, either cool them down or come on in.

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I have heard PFC 08's a bunch and the Reybestos ST43, too. I used to run the 43's and loved them, but they cracked and didn't hold up that well for me in Spec E30.

I have since tried the Hawk DTC60's up front and DTC70's in back set up and the Hawk Blue at all 4 corners set up and they are both very, very nice. They feel like the old PFC 01 set up. Why they stopped making that compound for us is unknown...it was awesome. My E30 could stop a small Condo if I asked it to.

I will offer this, brakes are as much about feel to the driver as they are about stopping power. I must feel what the feedback is to them to determine which is best. It depends on the shoes you are using, the calipers you have, your level of sensitivity, etc.

I will also share this...I have found that being fast is not about jumping on the brakes late and carrying crazy speed into the corner only to really just save the car on the exit or just barely make it stick. Yeah, that's fun, but it's not fast. Braking early and smooth is more balanced and a more balanced car is faster through the corner and, consequently, at the exit of the corner...which is where it matters. However, the most over looked thing I see is the way you release the brakes. If you focus on the timing and method of the release of your brakes, you will be amazed at the dividend it pays.

For my set up and feel, I love the Hawk Blue pads for the track. They just work for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X