HOWTO: Waste a Saturday..ver. driving simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO: Waste a Saturday..ver. driving simulator

2 days ago a friend of mine came to me and mentioned this new game called GTR-2..I had heard of it but never played it...

20 dollars later at bestbuy I was hooked on it. I was then sitting in my dining room (where I have 4 e30 seats for guests to randomly use) and had a rather interesting idea...right before I stated anything my friend screamed, "LETS GO TO HOME DEPOT AND BUILD A DRIVING SIM." Uhh Alright then.

One trip to Home Depot later we had 10 2x4's, 1 2x10, screws, stolen powertools from my dads garage (i'm sure he won't notice) some steering wheels, my LCD's from my computer, and my friends computer, and a few other things.

Geek T-Shirts are a much needed item when building random crap for around the house

Getting the Pedals setup... The seats are also completely adjustable for maximum comfort.

We only use the most expensive and professional tools available to consumers

Pre-Drilling the feet for the entire thing

Pedals Mounted

Mounting the steering wheel and verifying the height. Also building the shifter mount.

First Sim built, including the Act Labs RS steering wheel that broke after about 10 min.. It was later replaced with a Logitech momo that you will see in later pictures, yet we retained full function of the clutch and shifter.

Building the second one

Configuring all the controls

Both Sims Built

One of the Sims

The Other Sim

Features on the Right Simulator (Mine) Include a full 5-SPD Manual Transmission setup, With Fully functional Clutch and shifter, as well as Full Simulation Specs, You can stall the car, overrev it, money shift, and easily destroy the motor/transmission if you fuck up.

The Left Simulator has a 900 degree wheel, and full SMG Pedals, so each driver can choose what type of vehicle he wants. It also has an automatic mode somewhere, don't think we have ever used it.

Computers are basic Pentium 4's, Mine has a 9700 Pro, the other has an X700 Pro, both LCD's are from my G5 which is sitting idle doing nothing at the moment. The right Sim has a 2405 and the left one has an 18.1inch NEC/Mitsu.

Thats all folks!

And James continues to hold R3V's biggest dork award. hahaha Looks good man.
    HDE30 <3

Comment

Sadly, I can share in the love for the dorkiness that is GTR2/GTL with the 900 degree FF wheel. I actually like GTL more than GTR2, it's a lot less twitchy, and I've got badass versions of Mid Ohio and VIR for it.

My setup isn't as cool looking though.

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

now dont get me wrong, I'm not knocking the hobby. I just think thats goin to a different level.
        HDE30 <3

Comment

james thats awesome, wow and i thought i wasted my saturday cutting out foam for my tool box.

Comment

Needs clears, LTW's and a drop.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
            RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Glee club ftw.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Great word. Thnx to Oreo's for supplying the snacks. :D

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

I have thought of this so many times but never done it. Nice work. I'm sure my gf would kill me if I tried. Haha
                  sigpic

Comment

whoa.

that looks so fun !

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

100% creativityyyyyy!!
                      IT IS BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES - emiliano zapata!

Comment

Originally posted by MIZTERIO View Post
                        100% creativityyyyyy!!
                        Definetely...lol
                        sigpic

Comment

what game is that?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

The guy in the gray hoodie should've saved his money and purchased some Pro-activ. But I guess you don't need nice skin when you sit in the house all day playing video games with a bunch of dudes. I can't lie though, it does look like fun.

Comment

wow awesome idea, now all you need is some 20" + lcds

Comment

Working...
                              X