Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extremely clean 89 E30 Turbo! 470hp! Maryland! Featured in Performance BMW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the turbo oil cooled or coolant? That's another possible source to look at for your problems.
    work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by 10yre30r View Post
      Looking to wrap up the purchase of these beauty today . Once in my possession it will be garaged and cared for responsibly. Thanks Josh.
      LOL. So what you paid $14k for this plus shipping? WOW. I would never buy a car over the internet. I like to buy locally were I can check out the car myself before buying it.

Comment

Guys, i was dooped end of story. I don't have the so called receipts that he purchased the Arp head bolts. Anyway how can i tell if they are arp's and next question is can i reuse them ? I was reading the sellers previous posts and the last i heard he torqued the head down to 82lbs. ...thats damn tight. I figured out how to dial down the boost.
        First off I'm sorry to hear on what happened. Hope it's not too serious of a problem and you fix it soon. The studs should be arp cuz i bought them when I still owned the car. I sold the car to him as an unfinished project after that I don't know what he did to it but I always thought that he built it properly.

Its a bummer to year that josh isn't willing to hear you out /help out with this issue.

Best of luck

Denis

Green 89 325 s52 build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280902

Comment

Amazing.. that if he wouldve at least sent me the folder with the receipts I couldve maybe sold the car to someone else and had proof to the work that was done to it. If I wouldve had the magazine wouldve been helpful also ...instead I got a salvaged title and no proof of all the work that was done to it. I swear I havent heard from him...he just blew me off. Today me and my buddy were under the hood. Its just been raining non stop for the last 4 days and cold. We are gonna wait till the weather clears up. This guy really left high and dry. The car just overheats. Is it possible even for a o-ringed block to have compromised HG? I know he was pushing 26lbs of boost with aspirations to take it to 32lbs. He had also blown a head gasket recently through reading his previous posts here on the forum.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DELPHINtimecapsule View Post
            Of course it's "actionable". Filing suit in small claims for this type of thing is very common. Here's a link to inspire you if you choose this route.
            http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...apter17-4.html
            Anyone can bring a suit over basically ANYTHING. That's kind of the gift and the curse of the system. In most states a used car sale is an "as is where is buyer beware" sort of thing. as mike said, this may vary from state to state. How do I know this? First of all it's pretty common knowledge that when you buy a used car the weight of having it inspected falls on the buyer. ALWAYS do a ppi when buying a car. Especially a 25 year old car that has been boosted with 25 psi of boost. I don't mean to rub salt in a wound but come on now. Sounds like you were duped by the seller-- and he's a scumbag and should be banned from this site altogether. Secondly, my wife is an attorney and unfortunately for me i get to hear all day everyday about her cases, calls she gets from folks wanting to litigate about anything and everything. Litigation in this situation would be a total waste of time. Either rebuild the engine, or do an s52 swap, or resell the car and chalk it up to a learning experience (albeit an expensive one)

I feel for you man , I really really do. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Amazing.. that if he wouldve at least sent me the folder with the receipts I couldve maybe sold the car to someone else and had proof to the work that was done to it. If I wouldve had the magazine wouldve been helpful also ...instead I got a salvaged title and no proof of all the work that was done to it. I swear I havent heard from him...he just blew me off. Today me and my buddy were under the hood. Its just been raining non stop for the last 4 days and cold. We are gonna wait till the weather clears up. This guy really left high and dry. The car just overheats. Is it possible even for a o-ringed block to have compromised HG? I know he was pushing 26lbs of boost with aspirations to take it to 32lbs. He had also blown a head gasket recently through reading his previous posts here on the forum.
              Used car, as is. What would you want him to do? give you money back?

Good news is, only the engine has problems. Remove the head, if the head is warped, buy another head, slap on new head gasket with rebuilt head, lower the boost and you got a nice car, what's the big deal?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                Used car, as is. What would you want him to do? give you money back?

Good news is, only the engine has problems. Remove the head, if the head is warped, buy another head, slap on new head gasket with rebuilt head, lower the boost and you got a nice car, what's the big deal?
                I hope this is sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
                  I think you can reuse them- and they need to be re-torqued again at like 500 miles and then maybe every 30k, but you need to check with manufacturer. I would also check on the psi rating, at some point the arp's could stretch, and if they do they should be tossed. I've read differing opinions on arp head studs, so don't know what to believe. I've never had a car boosted that high either.
                  Originally posted by MikeW View Post
                  So did you get the head off?

Coolant in all cylinders?

Head gasket condition?

Might want to measure diameter and length of all your studs to determine if they can be reused. If it were me, and not knowing how many times they were used and how hard they have been torqued in the past I would buy new ARPs. When you get them record all the lengths so you can determine if they stretch should you blow another gasket. If they stretch you should be able to get them replaced as defective assuming you use a calibrated torque wrench and don't over tighten.

If you have some knock going on that could have lifted the head and blown your gasket.

You may also want to have the head checked by a shop while you have it off to make sure its not warped.

Let us know what you find out.

ARP are reusable, for sure, up until they have stretched too much. Not sure where you hear your information, best to just go with what ARP says:

john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

By no means I expext to get my money back. I just wish he wouldve at least fullfilled his promise to send me the folder with receipts and the mqgazine. It wouldve been helpful to my situation in case need to sell the car at some point . Looking back it was completely shady what this guy did. Im just gonna move on remove the head and lower the boost . Im just hoping that its not something else bigger. He has a o-ringed block can I use a normal oem bmw gasket and does the o-ringed block affect torque readings in any way? Sorry for the questions its just ive never worked with o-ringed engines.
                    sigpic

Comment

What else is new

seems like every year someone posts a thread on a bad car that died within a few hours. I remember Vlad's M3 rep where the suspension broke off that same night as delivered. Bottomline is don't trust anyone. Not the mods, not the shops that frequent this site, not even a well known board member when buying a car. Always take the time to inspect and drive the car otherwise you are taking a huge chance on what you believe you are buying. Expectations might be different from people to people.

That being said, cars shouldn't blow up within a few hours (at least not with SIGNIFICANT components going out) but I refrain until I hear from the seller. Hope you guys work it out.
                      Last edited by Javier h; 11-26-2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

By no means I expext to get my money back. I just wish he wouldve at least fullfilled his promise to send me the folder with receipts and the mqgazine. It wouldve been helpful to my situation in case need to sell the car at some point . Looking back it was completely shady what this guy did. Im just gonna move on remove the head and lower the boost . Im just hoping that its not something else bigger. He has a o-ringed block can I use a normal oem bmw gasket and does the o-ringed block affect torque readings in any way? Sorry for the questions its just ive never worked with o-ringed engines.
                        Yes, stock gasket, but as I mentioned earlier, use a OEM BMW gasket, don't get any aftermarket. Torque values stay the same...
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by mtechadam View Post
                          Anyone can bring a suit over basically ANYTHING. That's kind of the gift and the curse of the system. In most states a used car sale is an "as is where is buyer beware" sort of thing. as mike said, this may vary from state to state. How do I know this? First of all it's pretty common knowledge that when you buy a used car the weight of having it inspected falls on the buyer. ALWAYS do a ppi when buying a car. Especially a 25 year old car that has been boosted with 25 psi of boost. I don't mean to rub salt in a wound but come on now. Sounds like you were duped by the seller-- and he's a scumbag and should be banned from this site altogether. Secondly, my wife is an attorney and unfortunately for me i get to hear all day everyday about her cases, calls she gets from folks wanting to litigate about anything and everything. Litigation in this situation would be a total waste of time. Either rebuild the engine, or do an s52 swap, or resell the car and chalk it up to a learning experience (albeit an expensive one)

I feel for you man , I really really do. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Agree with most of that. The point I was making was that you can't knowingly lie in an advertisement about tangible facts, such as what engine is installed or even what bolts hold the head together. If in this case he had knowingly advertised the engine as having bolts it didn't there could be a cause of action if the buyer suffered damages due to the misinformation, like blowing the engine. Yes, the burden of proof is on the buyer, but it is definately actionable. It's different from saying "this car is a peach" and then having it break down ten miles from the lot. In that case, buyer beware will always kick in.

Lying about condition is basically subjective and sellers are protected, but lying about what hardware you personally bolted on the car is not subjective, and if it can be proved that a seller knowingly lied (e.g., printed ad, seller expertise, etc.) than the buyer has an actionable case with a reasonable chance of success, in all 50 states - even LA.

Anyway, thats just my humble opinion.
                          work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            ARP are reusable, for sure, up until they have stretched too much. Not sure where you hear your information, best to just go with what ARP says:

http://arp-bolts.com/p/technical.php
                            I'm certain you know better than me. My understanding is that it can be very difficult to determine if a stud has stretched, using a caliper to measure diameter along the shaft to detect stretch points is one method. Comparing the length to the original length (need to know original length since they vary by batch) is another.

In this case the new buyer knows nothing about the history or the studs, and aside from relying on diameter measurements it might be best to just replace them all and start fresh. If they have stretched they are prone to breaking, but I guess that would be the only real risk if he torques them down correctly.

Given the fact he is a having an issue with coolant and oil mixing, I would spend the money and start from scratch. But I'm also a novice that doesn't mind dropping a couple hundred buck for peace of mind (and saving me later hassles, so smarter folks would probably do it differently. You tell me, am I crazy? I'm about to rebuild an M42 with turbo so appreciate the feedback and don't mean to sound like I know what I'm talking about, believe me.
                            work in progress

Comment

Buyer, listen man, whatever the situation with the seller you need to know that once you post material as provided in this thread most rational people would clam up, regardless of guilt. It is still possible he was on the up and up, crazy timing issues happen all the time under boost, you may have just outwitted the ECU and blew the head. I have no idea what happened, but I know that after this thread you will never hear from the guy again. I also understand he blew you off before you posted, but he also may have needed time to understand the situation and how you were going to react. Had you maybe not shot off at him in this thread maybe he would have come around and helped more. Just some thoughts for consideration is all.
                              work in progress

Comment

Going to order my stock gasket today. Thanks firebird.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X