X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLD: 1984 318 with rebuilt Aluminum M52-41k miles

SOLD

$12,000 or best offer

My vision was a "LTW" style E30 with a 24v motor. I started with a 1984 318 M10 which was the lightest E30 brought to the US. This car has manual windows, manual sunroof, manual lock, manual gearbox, no power options! I added an Aluminum M52 motor from the 97/98 Z3 and fully rebuilt it. Trans is still the Getrag G260 with a S3.73 Limited Slip Differential in the back. Car will get between 24-28mpg depending on how crazy you drive. The car is totally comfortable with cruising and driving normal, but the car will happily kick the back end out and pull itself to redline, if you desire.

Exterior

-Factory original color of Alpine White, though its had a respray sometime in the last 30 years since it came here. Condition is 7-8ish. Its presentable and polishes very well, but is a 33 year old car and has minor dings and chips.

- Its been updated to the late model bumpers & valences (front AND rear)

-The rear bumper has been properly modified to fit the higher arches that are desirable on the early model E30.

-I added the euro plate filler piece in the back. I also added the Euro Trim to the front as the rear markers were deleted when the previous owner did the bumper conversion.

-Both bumpers and both valences have been recently resprayed so the car looks great right now.

-Also has the iS lip that I sprayed with some SEM trim black paint, however its fairly peppered.

-Car looks wonderful and Im always getting compliments on it

- It has a mono wiper conversion that sweeps the full 180*.

-Also have Euro headlight grilles and custom smoked and crosshair'd Ellipsoid lights. They also have HIDs added to light up the night.

-Taillights are about as mint as the early models get, and Ive already replaced the dried out taillight gaskets when I swapped these on, so one less thing you need to worry about.

Interior

-Still has the original dash which has developed a few cracks. I have another cracked dash that I was going to repair and replace, but havent gotten to it yet.

-Black Vinyl door panels and no rear seat, analog clock, and even a cupholder for your beverage of choice.

-The car currently has a Cobra Monaco fixed back seat with the proper Momo seat mount and Garagistic floor mount along with a Schroth 6 point harness. Its track ready with a welded in Autopower rollbar and custom plinth boxes

-It has a new Pioneer deck with bluetooth & Ipod hookup. Stereo is minimal, but the wiring is still there to add more, if you choose.

-Rare Italvolanti steering wheel with the hard to find hub. Nice thick leather wheel feels nice in your hands. PMC Race Shifter is solid and is connected to the transmission thru a UUC DSSR.

-Instrument cluster has the aluminum trim rings as well as the SI batteries replaced and every gauge functions as it should thanks to a nice bill from Bavarian Restoration.

-Manual windows means you will never have a motor fail on you

-Windshield is about 2 years old now and has one minor crack that hasnt spread since last year. This was probably my favorite mod! :rofl:

Engine & Transmission

-Aluminum M52B28 from the 97/98 Z3, rebuilt from top to bottom, all new bearings, gaskets, new metal water pump, etc. I had it completely rebuilt with Turner Motorsports first overbore pistons and had the whole assembly balanced. BigSert Timeserts were added to prevent the known issue the aluminum blocks have of pulling head bolts.

-21.5# Pink top injectors were also rebuilt.

-Besians Vanos repair has been completed.

-Also added S52 cams, along with the M50/S50 exhaust manifolds along with the better S52 downpipe with a brand new Magnaflow CA legal cat going into a M20B25 exhaust.

-Sounds good & quiet, and is also BAR compliant. Its all running on a 413 Red Label ECU and the proper tuned TRM chip.

-This car is ready for the California BAR inspection, all the equipment is there, but it still needs to pass the tailpipe test to get the sticker and be totally CA Legal.

I dyno'd the car and it made 225whp which is about 270bhp! It probably makes more now with the better downpipe, correct chip and repaired Vanos. Whats up S50/S52 lovers?

- Getrag G260 Transmission has a Sachs Clutch/ Pressure Plate and single mass flywheel combo that was balanced with the rotating assembly. Flywheel isnt super light (~14lbs I think) so theres no chatter at idle.

-Transmission mounts are E21 with the aluminum cups, mounted on a GunMetalGrey swap bracket, engine mounts are AKG. Pretty solid, but not at all uncomfortable.

-KD Motorsports did the install of the new engine and all the new parts. I cringe at the thought of adding them up. You can do it while you celebrate the deal you got on my car. No power steering will help you build up that upper body strength.

-It currently has over 41,000 relatively trouble free miles since its been swapped.

Suspension & Brakes

-Hyperco 500# front & 700# rear springs on shortened housings with adjusters.

-Corrado Single Adjustable Koni's up front & new Single Adjustable Koni's in the back.

-Ground Control SCCA spec Camber plates & upgraded Raised Ground Control rear shock mounts.

-Car has been corner balanced and has a track alignment on it. Current weight is 2,300lbs wet

-Up front Ive replaced the control arms with new Febi units, Treehouse racing CABs, new swaybar links.

-Rear subframe has Ireland Engineering subframe bushings, and AKG 85A Rear Trailing Arm Bushings and Diff Mount. Also, has welded in posi-lock camber and toe correctors from Ireland Engineering. Alignment is perfect and all the annoying work is done.

-Upgraded factory sway bars and bushings (Cabrio / iX combo).

-Ireland Engineering upper front strut bar.

-Drilled rotors. Stainless Lines. Recently changed the pads to StopTech Street Performance pads and changed the fluid. No ABS, brake like a man!

I know theres more, but I cant think of it right now. I will edit and update this as my brain remembers more things Ive done with the car. This is a very well sorted car that can be driven to and from the track with no issues. Drive it hard, put it away wet and she will be ready for more the next time you fire it up. I will greatly miss this car, but my heart is in vintage racing and I dont have the time/ budget/ space for two race cars. I will miss this one, but its time for someone else to enjoy it

Above the Ground by 2mAn

Above the Ground by 2mAn

Above the Ground by 2mAn

Above the Ground by 2mAn

Above the Ground by 2mAn

Above the Ground by 2mAn

Above the Ground by Simon Tuman

Above the Ground by 2mAn

Italvolanti Steering Wheel, PMC shifter
    Above the Ground by 2mAn

Almost all business...
    Above the Ground by 2mAn

Above the Ground by 2mAn

and finally, the heart of the aluminum monster.

Above the Ground by 2mAn

Above the Ground by 2mAn

Some recent pics at the track, where she really shines!

Picking on Domestics at Buttonwillow...

BW__0304_Apr0117_CaliPhoto by 2mAn

Picking on Porsches at Big Willow...

Untitled by 2mAn
    Last edited by 2mAn; 08-01-2017, 10:34 PM.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Car and seller are top notch.

Whoever ends up with this will have one of my favorite e30s, on the favorite wheels I've ever had.

GLWS!

ps. Don't actually sell it.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
    Sounds like you need a massage.
    Originally posted by kpeng
    Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Beautiful Build...I vouch for this car!
      95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
      Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
      LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Solid car
        Good luck with the sale

-
        Project
        Parts for Sale
        Feedback
        YouTube Channel

Comment

How did you modify the rear valance

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the love people, she's in good hands now and will still be seen in SoCal so I'm very excited about the monsters next phase
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

that was quick!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I think I am as excited to be the new owner of this car as Simon was to build it originally, the original build thread will continue here very shortly.

The Aluminum Monster continues ....

Comment

Awesome you signed up!
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by CYN RNS View Post
                    I think I am as excited to be the new owner of this car as Simon was to build it originally, the original build thread will continue here very shortly.

Welcome!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

You get an automatic bye from all the r3v initiation rituals because you bought Simon's sweet car and plan to keep it up. Good work!

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                        You get an automatic bye from all the r3v initiation rituals because you bought Simon's sweet car and plan to keep it up. Good work!
                        hahah NO WAY! We need pics of your girlfriend !!
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

...was this the swap deal, or sold out right?
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Did Simon tell you that part of the deal is; you have to show us a pic of your girlfriend?

I hope he did... But if not, you know now!
                            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

dude congrats on the sale, Simon....Im sure you'll miss her :(
                              -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                              91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                              08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                              04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                              Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                              Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Working...
                              X