1988 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 325i

GARAGE KEPT!! Antique/Collectible vehicle! 1988 BMW 325i (E30/M20 motor). Exterior color: BMW Royalblau-metallic (blue). Interior Color: Beige/Tan. Super cold A/C; Factory radio; Sunroof. The current mileage is 186,607 as of today. We do drive it daily, so that mileage will change. The vehicle has not been involved in any accidents. I have a copy of the Carfax from then I purchased it in June of 2017 and you can also generate a new car fax report. The vehicle sat in a woman’s garage in Rhode Island for 9 years and was not driven at all. Then someone purchased it from her and sold it to me. I purchased the vehicle for my daughter because she likes the E30, and it is an easy car to learn in, but her father and I have decided that she needs a vehicle with air bags, as she is a new driver. I have done a ton of work to the car and spent thousands of dollars, since I thought she was keeping it. Like 75% of the work done is listed below. There is too much to list, so I just listed the most important things. As it is a 30-year old vehicle I wanted to replace everything on it. The paint and interior are in excellent condition.
    •Timing Belt
    •Water Pump
    •All Hoses (Alternator, Power Steering, Air Conditioner/Accessory)
    •Radiator
    •A/C Condenser
    •A/C Compressor
    •A/C Receiver Dryer
    •A/C Fan
    •Fan Shroud
    •Battery
    •Alternator
    •Spark Plugs
    •Oil Change
    •Distributor Rotor
    •Ignition Distributor Cap
    •Fuel Tank Hose
    •Replaced Overflow line and fuel level sensor (Fuel level gauge was jumpy and inaccurate)
    •Replace Fuel filter and clamps
    •Fixed electrical problem that was causing turn signal to work improperly.
    •Repair and Replace leaky brake line from ABS unit rear tee. Removed brake master cylinder, bleed system, no leaks.
    •Replace left and right rear brake hoses (4) and steel lines.
    •Replace left rear spring (this is the only part that was purchased used due to lack of product)
    •Replaced and repaired right rear control arm to replace bearing, bushings, and backing plate.
    •Replaced and Repaired rear control arm, had bearing, bushings, and backing plate installed.
    •Replaced the hood cable and shock
    The mechanic is Ken at Eurpoean Autowerx, who specializes in BMW’s. I have all mechanical records. There are many more things that were done and I have all records and lists from the mechanic. It’s too much to list on here. If you are a serious buyer and are interested we can make an appointment to see and drive the vehicle and I will show you the records.
    Most of the parts are from FCP Euro and have lifetime warranty. Some parts are from ECS Tuning. All parts used are OEM.

I also have the OBDII sensor adaptor for this vehicle (20 pin to 16 pin)

Asking $8,500 OBO Price is negotiable.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by agent; 10-03-2018, 07:14 AM. Reason: Removed CL link

Originally posted by Wellington23 View Post
    All details and pictures listed on Craigslist ad. Price is negotiable. https://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/...709879561.html
    We need all of that info & pics here otherwise this thread will get deleted...

we do have some rules here, please follow them
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

VIN indicates that it's a 325e (not a 325i, which didn't come in 2-door till 1989).

Someone swapped the newer plastic bumpers onto it too (that's a good thing).

Nice car. A family friend had one and it was a torquer that good good MPG.
      Randy Walters

2021 Mazda 3 Sedan Premium AWD
      1988 325is (w/89 bumpers, recently sold)
      1989 325is (Broadsided long ago RIP)
      1996 328is (Sold to Matt J)
      2003 530i Sport (Spare car now)
      2005 X3 (little woman's car)
      Driving Instructor BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
      Multiple L.A. & S.D. Region SCCA Autocross Championships

Comment

Inaccurate info

Well all my paperwork and documents from the tag agency, plus the carfax report state that it is a 325i and it is a 1988.

Comment

Please review the forum rules for selling items (no links to CL/eBay; pics required; price required). Thanks in advance.
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Well all my paperwork and documents from the tag agency, plus the carfax report state that it is a 325i and it is a 1988.
            Carfax is often incorrect and inaccurate. They mis-reported my old 85 Golf GTI as failing two smog tests in counties that i've never even had the car tested in, and it never ever failed a test. And they have reported incorrect model information on E30s many times which was refuted on these forums (325i reported as being a 325is is a big offender, among others).

Knowing that there was no 2-door 325i model offered in 1988, and seeing the later model plastic bumpers, i entered your VIN into the ETK and it comes back as an 88 325e which came with the low-RPM 2.7 Super ETA engine. You should be able to visually identify which engine is in that car (although i don't remember what to look for).

Also post a clear picture of the tachometer for us - the ETA models have a much lower redline than the 325i.

Pictures of the car and interior would also be helpful, and you need to tell us the asking price of the car.

Here's your car on ETK:

Last edited by randywalters; 10-01-2018, 07:42 AM.
            Randy Walters

Comment

Maybe it's just a 325? I've seen that in the wild.
              1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
              2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
              2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

In one of the pictures you can see the tach redline at 5 and end at 6. 325i's have a tach that goes to 7.

That's a Super-ETA. Beautiful car though.
                Build Thread

Comment

+1 super eta tachs go to 6k

the seta is the best candidate for a 2.7 swap tho, if the new owner could source 325i head/intake/exhaust etc and inevitably a 5 speed swap and sport seats...

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Look at the manifold. It's a super ETA. 6k tach also confirms that. Cool to see a late model car, finished in Royalblau. GLWS
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                      +1 super eta tachs go to 6k

the seta is the best candidate for a 2.7 swap tho, if the new owner could source 325i head/intake/exhaust etc and inevitably a 5 speed swap and sport seats...
                      The SETA's came witht the full "i" exhaust system from the factory. The 885 casted cylinder head they came with have single valve springs and a different (less aggressive) camshaft. The SETA uses 7 main cam bearings instead of 4 of of the older series Etas. The OP 100% has a 325 SETA.

I love the color combo, it looks very sharp. GLWS!
                      1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                      SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                      Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Thanks!

Hi all! Thanks for the interesting facts! Other than what you are all saying how would I ever know. I mean by seeing the carfax (which I see can be inaccurate) and by seeing the 325i emblem in the back I wouldn't think twice. I mean I do know anyone can put any badge they want on a car since it's just a sticker, but since Carfax said it was a 1988 325i I just didn't think twice. I am going to run a check on AutoCheck. A friend that owns a car dealer told me today that it is more accurate and said the same thing about Carfax.

Comment

So I did an auto check and it says 325. No e and no i behind it. I have to check the Carfax tomorrow to compare. @2mAn is there any way to post attachments that are in PDF format, so that I can post the AutoCheck document?

Comment

'88 325, no e, no i, is a super ETA. Post the last seven of the VIN, if you are still confused. This car is absolutely, positively a super ETA.
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Hi all! Thanks for the interesting facts! Other than what you are all saying how would I ever know. I mean by seeing the carfax (which I see can be inaccurate) and by seeing the 325i emblem in the back I wouldn't think twice. I mean I do know anyone can put any badge they want on a car since it's just a sticker, but since Carfax said it was a 1988 325i I just didn't think twice. I am going to run a check on AutoCheck. A friend that owns a car dealer told me today that it is more accurate and said the same thing about Carfax.
                              Someone in the car's past has done some light modding for whatever reason - the bumpers are from an 89-91 (like i did on my own 88 325is), and changed the trunk badge to i, providing the trunk lid is the original one with matching VIN sticker. I presume the car's paint is original no?

I'm sure Austin is correct. Some years ago a family friend had an immaculate 2-door '88 automatic and i remember the trunklid emblem was just 325 (like he said with no e or i after the numbers). I thought that odd that there was no e like previous years but the car was all original, then i later learned they dropped the e that year and improved the ETA engine. I think '88 is the last year for the ETA engine too.

She was about to trade the car in at the BMW dealership but i implored her to sell it private party and she ended up getting like 4 times more than the scuzzy dealership had offered. It was a great city car, lots of low-end torque and more relaxed driving experience. The 325i/is is a lot more high-strung around town.

ETK seems to lump all ETA engine'd variants as 325e. ETK also identifies the 325is as 325i so this isn't a big deal.

Austin - OP's VIN is 1689840 (it's in my ETK link above).
                              Randy Walters

Comment

Working...
                              X