FS: 1991 325ix Coupe, 5-spd, Sterling Silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: 1991 325ix Coupe, 5-spd, Sterling Silver

I have decided to sell my 1991 325ix, now with 219K miles.
    • Purchased the car with ~140K miles in 2002
    • Primary daily driver since 2002

• Previous owner originally purchased vehicle in New York in 1991. It has been in California since 1993.

Primary details:
    • 1991 325ix
    • Sterling Silver
    • 5-spd manual
    • Premium factory sound system
    • Electric Sunroof
    • Leather heated “Comfort” front seats
    • Ski-pass through rear seat (Not available in 1988)
    • Functioning cruise control

Upgrades/Modifications:
    • A/C has been converted to R-134a (Blows cold.)
    • Lighted rear view mirror
    • Heated sport seats
    • Heated side mirrors
    • Aftermarket CD changer
    • Front lip spoiler (similar to E30 325is)
    • Rear trunk lip spoiler
    • Turner/Conforti chip

Exterior Condition:
    • All original panels with original VIN
    • Car has been repainted once in 2010. But, as a daily driver, sitting in an airport parking lot, the California sun has again taken its toll. It doesn’t bother me, but the paint is worn on top surfaces. (I have detailed photos of before/during/after repaint.)
    • No rust. (Paint chip on roof (see photo), just forward of sunroof, above driver).
    • The previous owner had a misadventure with a bike rack on top of the car. Consequently, there was a dent that was repaired on the top rear of the roof.

Interior Condition:
    • For a vehicle that is nearing 30 years old, I would rate the interior as 6.5/10.
    • No Leaks
    • Dashboard – It has several of the small cracks, common to the E30. That said, I have managed to keep them small by “stop-drilling” each end, so there currently are no cracks that extend the entire depth of the dashboard.
    • Front heated sport seats (working)
      • Lower driver’s seat torn
      • Driver’s outside upper & lower bolsters worn/torn.(I have a used leather replacement for bottom bolster.)
    • Rear seat
      • Upper section – Tear along upper edge (can probably be repaired)
      • Lower section is a bit stiff, but no tears
      • Center arm rest/center pass through & ski bag intact
    • Sunroof fully operates, but switch has become intermittent. (Seal is deteriorating, but does not leak.)

Mechanical Condition:
    • Overall, this has been a reliable, well maintained, daily driver.
    • Engine starts easily, idles smoothly, and pulls evenly to redline.
      • No apparent oil burn
      • Small oil leak – Shop has recommend replacing oil pan gasket. I’ve lived with it for years.
      • ICV can, intermittently, be a bit uneven when engine is cold. Idle smooths out once warmed up.
      • Timing Belt – Due date is approaching. (Each time I have removed it, it has been based on calendar time, and it was found to be in excellent condition. It was last replaced on 30DEC14 @ 207,803 miles. That was 5yrs and ~12K miles ago.)
    • Clutch – Never changed during my ownership. Not sure of history. It catches near the top. Does not slip.
    • Transmission - As long as I’ve owned it, the second gear synchro has been a bit tricky, and appears to be a bit worn. (Replacement transmission included – See below)
    • Shifter - Bushings probably worn. (Replacement included – See below)

Electrical Condition:
    • Interior Dimmer Delay Inop – Relay just below driver’s side speaker needs replacement.
    • Intermittent Brake Warning Light on upper check panel – Exterior brake lights all working. (I believe that this is most likely due to a faulty relay that is located with the third brake light above the trunk. Been that way since the day I bought it.)
    • Battery is older. Will drain if just sitting for a week.
    • Sunroof switch is intermittent.
    • Central locking has become finicky. Always works from PAX side. Driver’s side master lock does not hold.

Records:
    • Original window sticker (NOTE: Price of $8500 was written on sticker by previous owner in 2002.)
    • Maintenance records since 1997 & 89K miles
    • The most recent maintenance is as follows:
      • Inspection II accomplished @ 210K miles on 05/13/16
      • Oil change
      • Muffler replaced on 09JUL19 w/BOSAL-OEM
      • Rear brakes & rotors replaced on 12JUL19
      • Smogged ~10AUG19 w/no issues

Included Spare Parts
    • Timing Belt replacement kit, including water pump.
    • Spare transmission from a 1988 325ix that was totaled with 83K miles. (I have the VIN & CARFAX.)
    • Complete shifter rebuild kit for 325ix.
    • Original heated leather “Comfort” seats. (I removed them shortly after purchasing in 2002. All functions worked at that time.)

Reason for selling:
    • It has served me well as a daily driver. A true classic. That said, Bay Area traffic demands commuting in an automatic.

Asking Price: $7200 OBO.

Current photos located here:

Past photos of 2010 repaint located here:

Operational videos located here:

Small world, look's to be the 325iX in San Mateo I've seen from time to time parked on the street. Best of luck with the sale!

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Looks to be a very honest seller and a beautiful car at a good price point IMO. I'm normally not a fan of silver cars, but sterling silver on the e30 is one of my favorite colors available, actually.

It's really too bad somebody wrote $8500 on the sticker. I guess it just goes to show how these cars weren't all that coveted 15-20 years ago.

GLWS!
      📸 @joyfilledpursuit
      📖 John 3:16-18

Comment

Thanks. The E30 325ix is a solid mechanical machine. A different era.

I still run into people that did not know BMW made an AWD car back then. I always had to be careful when I took it in for the old CA smog check, . . . with the rear wheels placed on the rollers!

Comment

No rust is the major selling point for this coupe!
          It has quite a few needs with bad 2nd gear synchro, clutch is worn, timing belt due, shifter needs rebuilding, idle issues (which in my experience are rarely simple to remedy), needs a new battery, and paint is fading.
          Even with the issues, I would be talking with the seller if it was on the east coast due to lack of rust.
          Just my 2 cents.
          GLWS!
          89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
          1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by e30ixm3 View Post
            Thanks. The E30 325ix is a solid mechanical machine. A different era.

I still run into people that did not know BMW made an AWD car back then. I always had to be careful when I took it in for the old CA smog check, . . . with the rear wheels placed on the rollers!
            All of the iXes I've inspected back in PA only ever had to do an idle test because no one had an AWD emissions dyno!

Clean car, GLWS.
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Yes. Once I pointed out to the technician that the car was AWD, they would inevitably go back and look at the emblem on the trunk, shrug, and drive it off the rollers and only do the idle test.

Comment

Pm’d

Comment

For those that are interested, I have uploaded a COLD START VIDEO. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X