Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: Rebuilt CM5908 w/ Code [PICS]

EDIT 7-Jul-2021: The radio is SOLD!

I was cleaning out my parts bin a little while ago and found a CM5908 in there which I had bought for a project that I never got to. It was an "eBay special" with no code, and it had been sitting for about a decade (as so many things do in our parts bins). Anyway, it needed a good bit of work, but it is now in very nice condition.

I am asking $400 shipped within the lower 48. I will PM you the code after purchase, and the unit will include the print-out with the code that I got from the BMW dealer. Paypal only.

PM me if you are interested.

Things that I repaired:
    - Replaced ALL capacitors on the audio amplifier/output board. The originals were bloated and leaking, causing really bad audio output. The sound coming from it now is nice and clean. New caps are Nichicon automotive-rated audio parts.
    - Replaced the LCD backlight bulbs. One was burned out, so I replaced both with nice new ones.
    - Replaced the cassette transport drive belt.
    - Replaced the amplifier ICs' thermal paste with high performance Arctic Silver
    - Replaced the cassette transport with one that is in better working condition. It still has a couple of quirks, but it will insert/eject and play a tape just fine. I went through 3 transports to find the best working one.

Functional details:
    - All buttons are fully functional and have crisp mechanical response
    - The volume knob adjusts without any crackling or pops
    - The LCD is fully functional and fully backlit
    - The "slider" works flawlessly
    - Comes with little pigtails for all connections you would need to re-/integrate this into an E30 or other vehicle.
    - The cassette player sometimes has an issue going into FF or stopping FF. I've found that pressing REW if it gets stuck in FF will make it play normally. Maybe 20% of the time I will have to tell it to REW twice to get it to do so. Most people are probably going to do a Bluetooth swap in these things anyway (check the thread user bradnic has going, he does the BT conversions).

Cosmetics:
    - The pics are of the actual unit up for sale
    - Has both little screw-cover doors, both fully intact.
    - No dents, dings or scratches
    - Front faceplate is in nearly 10/10 condition
    - The LCD has the usual little scuff marks that most of these have because people over the years have taken dry rags to them when they are dusty, dragging the dust around on them***
    - There are some little chemical-drop marks on the LCD, probably from someone spritzing Armor-All or some incorrect cleaner on there***

***Shown in pics. It is only noticeable under super harsh lighting and at a viewing angle which you are unlikely to ever be at in either seat in the E30. It's not visible through the backlighting, so you would not see it at night either.

I'll be putting this on eBay in a couple of weeks if there is no interest here.

PHOTOS

The overall unit:

Included connectors/pigtails:

Operational details / proof of CODE:

Repair details:

The LCD's imperfections. Visible under harsh light at glancing angles, not visible otherwise.

Last edited by bmwman91; 07-07-2021, 02:43 PM.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Good deal here

Comment

Just a heads up. I just sold that same unit in working condition (yours is way nicer) for $500 on eBay.
      I’m rebuilding an E30 I saved from a crack house. Follow along on my Instagram and give me some motivation and tips!

Instagram: @E30tweak

Comment

Aah, so that was yours on there. These radios sure are worth a heck of a lot more than they used to be. I'd have to list this at nearly $500 on there to get the same return I am getting on here with it at $400, so I figure I will save some other E30 owner all of those fees that they would otherwise basically be giving to eBay. Nevertheless, if nobody here wants it at $400, maybe I will try listing it there for $600 based on what you are saying!

EDIT: Ehhh, I just put it on eBay...my ECU conversion project could use the extra funds lol.
        Last edited by bmwman91; 06-30-2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I was able to get a local BMW dealer to provide the original security code for this radio. Big thanks to Stevens Creek BMW's service department for the help! I had to physically drive in to get the assistance, but it was worth the time.
          Last edited by bmwman91; 07-01-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

well done sir. glad you reset the code to factory. absolutely worth the asking price. GLWS
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Very Interested in this unit. Howe can I purchase?

Comment

Sold!

Comment

Working...
                X