No announcement yet.

Custom Cup Holders for BMW e30, e32, e34 and e38

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got mine! test fitted it today i love it!

although... I know that the first versions of these did not hold together in the center console with friction like this version and did so by tapping the screws of where the astray used to be. Can this be retrofitted Clyde?

Though I love and can't complain very much, sometimes when I'm making turns, it sounds like the console and the cup holder are flexing up against each other making a squeaking sound.

Edit: for those of you with automatic transmissions, you must adjust your shift liver up a screw in order for your hand to barely clear the lever between the cupholder itself.

overall, still loving it!
    Last edited by bmwstephen; 05-07-2010, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
      got mine! test fitted it today i love it!

although... I know that the first versions of these did not hold together in the center console with friction like this version and did so by tapping the screws of where the astray used to be. Can this be retrofitted Clyde?

Though I love and can't complain very much, sometimes when I'm making turns, it sounds like the console and the cup holder are flexing up against each other making a squeaking sound.

Edit: for those of you with automatic transmissions, you must adjust your shift liver up a screw in order for your hand to barely clear the lever between the cupholder itself.

overall, still loving it!

Yes you would have to remove the console in order to run screws from the bottom up to hold it but it might not make a difference.

Due to the low Quality assurance from 20+ yrs ago the cup holder doesn't fit the same in all the consoles so the amount of friction may vary. I know this since I use 3 different consoles to fit them when I make them just to make sure they fit and each one fits differently.

That was the reason why I made the early versions where you had to screw them down but then people were torquing the screws down like they were going to use it as a tow hook and were breaking the cup holder.

Make sure to press down to verify the cup holder is fully seated into the console.
      2013 C250
      2012 ALPINA B7
      2006 X5 e53
      2001 740i e38
      1998 e320 s210
      2016 Kawi Vaquero

Comment

gotcha!

one more question, do you sell the larger inserts seperately?

I'm able to fit 80% of my drinks but if I ever choose to enlarge it, can I simply replace teh small insert with a larger one?

Comment

I've been getting emails from people about my auctions and are trying to wheel and deal me to sell them for less then I was selling them on R3V.

I was selling them on R3V at a discounted price I sell them on ebay to make up for the one's I sold on R3V.

If you add the starting bid and the shipping price it's $70 that's a couple of bucks off from what they were on here. I only do that as I know they'll sell for much more then that but if they don't I know I at least sold them for what my minimum price is on R3V.

If you don't want to pay the buy now price then don't use buy now.

It's that simple I'm not forcing anyone to use buy now but folks are using buy now then contacting me after telling me their not comfortable with the price and if I'd lower it.

If anyone doesn't like my prices don't buy what I'm selling but don't try to come back on me and leave me negative feedback because you didn't like paying what you paid.

If you look at the majority of one's I've sold on ebay they've sold for over 80+ and another one just sold for +90 so obviously my prices aren't unreasonable since people are still buying them.
          2013 C250
          2012 ALPINA B7
          2006 X5 e53
          2001 740i e38
          1998 e320 s210
          2016 Kawi Vaquero

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
            gotcha!

one more question, do you sell the larger inserts seperately?

I'm able to fit 80% of my drinks but if I ever choose to enlarge it, can I simply replace teh small insert with a larger one?
            If your's is the dual small version you won't be able to fit the large insert with out some major modification and possibly messing up the holder to where it's not usable at all. Also the large inserts are deeper and the small version is not tall enough to accept it.
            2013 C250
            2012 ALPINA B7
            2006 X5 e53
            2001 740i e38
            1998 e320 s210
            2016 Kawi Vaquero

Comment

It might have been the Johnnie Walker clicking, but I just bought one of these on ebay. Or it might be the 16oz can of Monster I cleaned off my floor mats yesterday. Either way, I just dropped $90 on a cup holder and I'm not looking back.

Comment

For those who are wondering which socket to get this is what it looks like when it's sold at the store.

You unscrew the backing plate to remove it from the bracket and the socket will slide into the opening on the cup holder. Reinstall the backing plate to clamp it down and thats it. If you want to be able to fit the stock + plug which is the smaller one. Take some side cutters and trim down the center male connector on the socket and the oem wiring will plug into it directly.
                2013 C250
                2012 ALPINA B7
                2006 X5 e53
                2001 740i e38
                1998 e320 s210
                2016 Kawi Vaquero

Comment

ˆˆˆˆˆ
                  which is coincidentally exactly what I bought at Pep Boys earlier today, under $6...

My only issue was that the thickness of your top board, maybe 5/16" - makes it where the sleeve (with the grounding tab & the female threaded end that holds it all in place) won't engage the threads on the socket. Trimmed it a little with a dremel and she's just-right now.

I like the rubber cap.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy View Post
                    ˆˆˆˆˆ
                    which is coincidentally exactly what I bought at Pep Boys earlier today, under $6...

My only issue was that the thickness of your top board, maybe 5/16" - makes it where the sleeve (with the grounding tab & the female threaded end that holds it all in place) won't engage the threads on the socket. Trimmed it a little with a dremel and she's just-right now.

I like the rubber cap.

Interesting wonder why they're 9 bucks up here in Elk Grove.

The trick to not have to trim is squeeze the opening a little on the backing piece so it's a little oval shaped and it will screw on without having to trim. Or you can just take a plier and bend the sides a bit at a time and it tears off pretty easy. If I get a chance I'll try to take a picture of a socket piece I have laying around to show what I I mean. It's less messy and quicker to do with the plier.
                    2013 C250
                    2012 ALPINA B7
                    2006 X5 e53
                    2001 740i e38
                    1998 e320 s210
                    2016 Kawi Vaquero

Comment

Damit I keep missing out on these cup holders. Are you going to be building some more any time soon SFGadgetguy? If so put me down for 2 with cigarette socket.

Comment

he's said like 10 times that he cant get the power sockets anymore...

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                        i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                        Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Got mine and it looks awesome!! Fit perfectly in the car. Can't wait to try it out once I get the car put back together! Until then, it looks great even sitting still. Holds my monster while we are wrenching.
                          Some people just need a sympathetic pat...
                          on the head...
                          WITH A HAMMER!!!

Comment

limited availability on ebay, search e30 cupholder
                            2013 C250
                            2012 ALPINA B7
                            2006 X5 e53
                            2001 740i e38
                            1998 e320 s210
                            2016 Kawi Vaquero

Comment

I can't use PayPal, and therefore can't use eBay.

Can I get one of these with a money order?
                              Das Fliegen Brick
                              (OO==[][]==OO)
                              1989 BMW 325iX

Comment

Just snagged one off eBay because I'm impatient and didn't want to wait for more to be made!

I'll throw up pictures when I get it, including detailed pictures of the socket install.

1993 BMW 325is: ESS PowerDyne at 8lbs, Snow Stage I

1986 BMW 325e: GC coils, DD, sloooow

Comment

Working...
                                X