Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M3 Big Brake Kit Front and Rear Wilwood Superlite Calipers

Hey R3V-

I ended up with this E30 M3 big brake kit, and I think it's too much for my setup. It's an extremely nice kit, very lightweight, etc, but I think I am going to stick with stock calipers/rotors for my setup.

So here's the deal with the kit. It came in Race Technologies boxes labeled with the part number E30-964, which leads nowhere on Google, however, everything in the boxes and whatnot is labeled E30M3 and I verified bolt spacing measurements (as you probably saw in the thread) with my M3 back east.

I called Race Tech and spoke with a Sr. Rep about all of this for a while and we could not trace down the order, but he said it was likely a custom kit they did. The adapters are actually quite nice quality. We found an old link following a p/n that I can no longer find, I contacted the person who carried it (it was labeled E30 M3 Big Brake Kit) and they said they hadn't sold that kit in years.

Calipers:
    Front p/n: 120 3191
    Rear p/n: 120 3193
    Front caliper weight w/bracket: 6lb 15oz
    Rear caliper weight w/bracket: 6lb 11oz

They're f/r Wilwood Superlite Calipers. Thankfully, all of the parts to rebuild these are cheap and readily available. The fronts are clearanced (quality job) by who I assume was Race Tech, and I'm sure it will help immensely with wheel clearance.

They are missing the cotter pins, but those are readily available and cheap (and should be replaced anyway.

Hardware: One "Front" set of hardware is included and one "Rear". It's just four bolts and two nuts though per caliper so it'd run you a trip to the hardware store to get what you need.

Brake Lines: It comes with ONE brake line that is female to female. I don't know the stock E30M3 brake line thread, however each caliper has a MALE fitting coming out of it (like most BBKs) so you'd have to source lines. I'd imagine they're a common size and could be purchased from Ireland Engineering or UUC (or someone else who sells a BBK with a female fitting coming out of the caliper for an E30. I'd assume those would be around $100.

Pads: There are a few sets of pads that come with the kit, 2-3 complete sets total?
    I'll include a photo of the pad boxes. There are Wilwood Pads in the rear calipers, p/n 15B 3992. Fronts are the Porterfield pads and don't have a p/n on them.

Rotors: They're E36M3 rotors, f/r. The rears I see no reason why they wouldn't work with the stock ebrake, it appears that the rear adapter bracket (which has nice indentations for how it goes) will set the caliper up properly on the rear hub so that the ebrake function would be maintained. The rotors are actually in decent shape, some vinegar and they'd look brand new.

For the right person I think these will be a very good deal, as it's a good kit. Just some piecing together to do. But honestly, the only real obstacle I see (since you already have M3 suspension to bolt this onto) are the brake lines, which are easy to obtain since you can get stainless lines made for whatever fitting/length/etc for just a touch more than the stainless lines folks sell for OE fitment applications.

Price: $1300 shipped (shipped in two 59lb boxes)

Please let me know if you have any questions. I have attached Jake's photos of the kit, as well as a few of my own. If you want any specifics or close ups, let me know and I can send over what you need.

Took a few photos today for anyone trying to figure out fitment.

So eye to eye on the caliper is roughly 3 5/8". The bracket eye to eye where it would bolt to the strut housing is~ 5". The E30M3 caliper bracket spacing is ~5" as shown in the photo below so I see no reason why this shouldn't bolt up as it should.

My fingers are pointing to the ~5" spacing and the holes on the caliper to the bracket are lined up.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Measurement on the M3:

Spacing

Rears are straight forward, their bolt spacing lines up with stock E30 rear bracket spacing which is the same as E30M3.

Hope this helps. I really need to move these so I'm trying to figure out as much info as possible for the next owner. There are some nuts/bolts missing that will have to be pieced together as well as a few brake hoses, but they may bolt up to stock E30M3 hoses.

Box:

Front:

Rear:

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr\
    Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr\
    m3 brake kit 1 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    m3 brake kit 2 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    m3 brake kit 3 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    m3 brake kit 4 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    Last edited by AWDBOB; 07-19-2018, 06:36 PM.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

bump

Comment

Bump

Comment

$1500 shipped

Comment

Bump, need these gone

Comment

PM for a special deal this week...

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              PM for a special deal this week...
              interesting.. PM ME for new price shipped to CA 91741

Comment

Originally posted by M_GODZILLA View Post
                interesting.. PM ME for new price shipped to CA 91741
                Pm sent

Comment

I'm going to use these brakes to catch my tears if they don't sell soon.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Buy me

Comment

do you have any idea if the front caliper brackets bolt up to non-m3 e30 struts?
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                          do you have any idea if the front caliper brackets bolt up to non-m3 e30 struts?
                          I don't know- I'll throw these on a spare housing.

Comment

I appreciate it.
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              I appreciate it.
                              No prob! It looks like the bolt spacing for the caliper brackets is the same, but offsets and whanot don't fit quite the same. I'd imagine the brackets you'd have a fight with offsets as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X