Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic bumper production run - interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic bumper production run - interest?

Well guys I've spent about 6 months looking for plastic bumpers. They are hard to find used and prices are way high (supply and demand I guess). Unless you want to drop $2000 on new stuff, which seems absurd. The front carrier alone is like $350.

I was thinking these could be made using thermoplastic molding and it could be worth it to make a bunch if there is interest here? I was wondering about making everything out of one piece (carrier, cover, trim parts) to simplify things. That would just leave the lights and mounts which can already be sourced reasonably.

Any interest/thoughts?
    1989 BMW 325ix, Virginia

I agree. I’ve been looking everywhere for a front rear valance for my 325i. Do you have any experience doing such work?

Comment

If you want enthusiasts to buy it, make it as close to original as possible. If you want ebay restoration people to buy it, make it all one piece.
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

Something like this?

Comment

Vincenze, yes, kind of.​​​​ The issues with that setup are:
          Kit is $500 but does not include the reinforcements/carriers. The reinforcements/carriers are another $599. This is the MTech 2 kit. If you want the normal plastic bumpers, front is $270 with trim, rear is $225 + $160 for rear center trim. Valence...

So what I was thinking was, if it's possible, with the carrier/reinforcement molded in and the normal style bumpers. Again, if possible, for a lot less money or there'd be no point at all really.

MarioAndretti78 I haven't really done this kind of work before. I have done some 3D modeling. I saw that some thermoforming companies will basically create the mold off of an original part. As with other group buys, I'm guessing it'd have to be worth their time in terms of quantity.

E30SPDFRK I know what you mean that separate pieces would be better but I'm thinking that one piece would maximize cost savings.
          1989 BMW 325ix, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
            If you want enthusiasts to buy it, make it as close to original as possible. If you want ebay restoration people to buy it, make it all one piece.
            THIS

I need a new front bumper cover, so depending on quality and cost, I could be interested.

Comment

I would be interested in the rear, but might buy a front as well depending on costs. I say separate pieces.
              85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

I only know enough to be dangerous when it comes to molding but I do know that creating a good mold runs deep into five figures. Maybe things have changed in the industry in the last decade? Def not trying to discourage because no good idea comes without risk. I just caution to do prioritize costing so you don’t waste talent/efforts on something that won’t be fruitful.
                ------------------------------------
                01.5 S4 Avant - Sold
                88 325iS - In pieces
                91 e34 - Totaled by some dumbass
                90 325i - Daily
                06 e91 - Sold

feedback thread

Comment

I'm interested in the regular bumpers

Comment

+1 for rear bumper and also vote separate pieces. The used prices for plastic bumper covers are crazy -especially when you don't need all of the mounting hardware and valances can always be massaged if they aren't too creased. Just my .02
                    1989 325i w/o 4/14
                    1991 318is
                    1991 325i

Comment

Interested if you can replicate the OEM look
                      sub’ed

Comment

bump

Comment

bump

Comment

I would be interested if they looked like the oem bumpers

Comment

Interested in the regular bumpers for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X