WTB M42 Timing Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB M42 Timing Case

I have coolant leaking into my timing case. I took it into a reputable E30 shop to have the whole thing resealed, and what do you know, it's still leaking :) They left me with some pictures of my existing timing case, and the back of it looks... well... like you'd expect a leaky timing case to look. The block surface that mates to the timing case looks fine. They'd rather attempt an M20 swap than actually fix the case/leak, and I'm not really interested in that, so I'm bringing the work "in-house". I figured a new (to me) case would be a wise start.

Early model, late model, whatever. I've read the M44 case can work as well but that I'd need to fabricate a new CPS bracket - I'm not the most experienced mechanic so would prefer to avoid custom fabrications if possible.

The case I'm hoping to replace, for anyone curious:

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Back side of Intermediate timing cover - Engine side.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	10120355

Thanks! Good to finally be here ✌️

You can buy a CPS bracket if you use a M44 case.

Or...

You can buy a new updated m42 lower timing case. You'll need a few updated parts to go with it. Like a longer screw and chain guides. There's also an update for the oil pressure relief valve.

quick web seach shows a couple of dealers have them in stock.
    Lower case part number
    Last edited by uturn; 05-14-2024, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I've seen several guys successfully repair this part of the timing case by vapor/ sand blasting and then using jb weld to fill in and rebuild the pitted areas. Time consuming and tedious but if you cannot find a replacement option you could choose to restore the one you have.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Time consuming and tedious but if you cannot find a replacement option you could choose to restore the one you have.
        Very nice to know this is an option if finding one doesn't work out! And definitely the more sustainable option. I think it might be a little beyond my ability at this point, but presumably nobody's going to want my case in its current condition anyways, so I'd have my whole life to figure out how to refurbish it 😄

@uturn​ Both excellent suggestions! Could have sworn I called around about this exact part a month or two ago to no avail. If it's really just out there to buy new, that does make my life much easier. I've read "Late model M42 Timing Case Swap info", so I'm basically an expert on the swap from there 😅 (I'm kidding please send help)

Comment

Working...
        X