JOM Coilover Group Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
    Which springs did you get, Erik? I contacted via E-mail for the heavier duty "cabrio" springs which according to them, are considerably stiffer.
    I guess I got the regular "coupe" springs. I didn't think there would be a large difference in spring rates between the two.

Comment

yo mah bad. i had gotten mine on tuesday, just havnt been online. the whole kit itself is clean, but springs dont seem to be as stiff as i planned. My o2 sense, dont slam the car. Shocks will eventually blow. Most likely will have to cut the perches and shorten the tube a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by 6gen91 View Post
        Most likely will have to cut the perches and shorten the tube a bit.
        With the supplied stock-length inserts? LOL, make sure you post pictures whilst attempting this.
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Anyone low without modified strut housings is riding on their stops. End of story.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
            Anyone low without modified strut housings is riding on their stops. End of story.

The shorter strut inserts are what necessitate shortening the housings. You can't just chop 2" out of your strut tube and drop a normal e30 Bilstein strut in there.

But yes, if you're going more than 2" down, you're asking for trouble.

We have Bilsteins and coilovers on our LeMons car, and it probably won't sit more than an inch or two below stock. All the way down on those and it's straight up bottomed out on the bump stop.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
              unless they have camber plates that add travel or shorter bumpstops..

Comment

Good news is, I don't plan on slamming by any means. A bit of adjustability and mild low for DD. The spring rates, while not as stiff as they could be, are not bad for daily driving status and for me personally, this was cheaper than buying just a standard H&R Race setup for the S50 project. I need a bit stiffer than H&R could give me.
                Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

this was cheaper than buying just a standard H&R Race setup for the S50 project. I need a bit stiffer than H&R could give me.
                  But the springs rates are no where close to the Races. It's not like the JOM kit came with quality dampers either.
                  -tim
                  Originally posted by Jordan
                  I like the stance
                  -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

We'll see when I can get 'em on. At $380, it's not a huge hit if they blow. From the reviews I've read, they are a cheap alternative to get a bit low and have some adjustability. They are most definately not a track suspension, but I'm not going to the track.
                    Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                      Divine, if the kit uses stock length shocks, the springs better be stiff if you want to go LOW (2.5"+) if they aren't you will be bouncing off the bump stops of the shocks, perhaps eventually blowing them out. When you drop it LOW you are reducing the amount of shock travel right from the start. Soft springs = more shock travel. Hard springs = less shock travel. To go LOW and still have shock travel, GC uses a shorter shock insert, so you can cut the struts down an inch or so. You can't do this with stock length front shocks. This along with coilovers in front will allow you to dump the car while still having some suspension travel, at least enough to work properly.
                      Thanks for breaking it down for me... much appreciated...

We'll see when I can get 'em on. At $380, it's not a huge hit if they blow. From the reviews I've read, they are a cheap alternative to get a bit low and have some adjustability. They are most definately not a track suspension, but I'm not going to the track.
                      Yea it would be nice to still have the option to track, but it's a cheap alternative and will help lower my front end a little bit more than it is now. I'm not trying to dump it too much, just enough to reduce the rake and still have some adjustability options... for that price I'll make it work... We get what we pay for but this should work fine for me... hope to get mine soon...

AutoX w/ a Roof Rack for extra Aerodynamics...

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
                        But the springs rates are no where close to the Races. It's not like the JOM kit came with quality dampers either.
                        So I take it you wont be buying a set?
                        1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
                        1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
                        1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Comment

Originally posted by mightywhitey View Post
                          So I take it you wont be buying a set?
                          No. I just wanted to clarify on what he was saying. It sounded like he said the JOM springs were stiffer than H&R springs. I wanted to assert that they are not. I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I just think that this group buy is one of the most foolish impulse buys around. Lots of people buying before any install pictures or reviews on an E30. From the reviews so far, it sounds like the springs are soft, dampers are standard length, and people are making excuses for it not being what they expected.
                          -tim
                          I like the stance

Comment

No. I just wanted to clarify on what he was saying. It sounded like he said the JOM springs were stiffer than H&R springs. I wanted to assert that they are not. I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I just think that this group buy is one of the most foolish impulse buys around. Lots of people buying before any install pictures or reviews on an E30. From the reviews so far, it sounds like the springs are soft, dampers are standard length, and people are making excuses for it not being what they expected.

Wow, a lot of bullshit assumptions in there. It's EXACTLY what I expected and as I stated from the beginning, I'll buy it for a review stand point. And long term review as I'll be dailying the car.

The springs rates I got are extremely stiff. I stacked two 100lb plates on top of the spring and didn't get a 1/4" of movement. I sold my H&R race setup as it was a bit soft for my liking with how low it was. I will not be that low for daily driving again.

So, your whole purpose for posting in this Group buy thread is what exactly? To make your opinion known? Well, no one really gives a fuck. Sorry. Don't want them? Don't buy them. I also wouldn't shit in the group buy thread.

As an update, I'll have review and install pictures around mid december. Car is going over for the heart transplant.
                            Need a part? PM me.

Comment

I was talking about Eriks review, as he purchased the set for the correct application.
                              -tim
                              I like the stance

Comment

I was talking about Eriks review, as he purchased the set for the correct application.
                                Yea I think Erik mentioned he got the regular coupe set which is what I got as well... Anyway, it's gonna serve my purpose... I'm a daily driver as well...

As soon as anyone installs please post pics...

AutoX w/ a Roof Rack for extra Aerodynamics...

Comment

Working...
                                X