No announcement yet.

JOM Coilover Group Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone compared front strut length to regular strut length yet?

Comment

Looked roughly the same length as the odd Billie sport I had kicking around in the garage. No actually measurement but a side by side. I'll try and find my camera and get some pictures.
      Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

list updated.
        1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
        1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
        1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Comment

Out for delivery. Can't hardly wait
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by mightywhitey View Post
            If you have received your coil overs please let me know as well as I will be marking you as received on the list. Thanks, Mike
            I received mine yesterday.

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            are the shocks even short enough to allow for sectioning? If it is, i may consider these but if they are regular length, you wont get very low
            Unfortunately, they are stock length.
            Also, the springs are pretty damn soft. They'll be fine for the beater I'm putting them in, but I wouldn't put them in any car you plan on driving aggressively.

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
              Unfortunately, they are stock length.
              Also, the springs are pretty damn soft. They'll be fine for the beater I'm putting them in, but I wouldn't put them in any car you plan on driving aggressively.
              So if you're going 2-3" lower on a stock-length shock with soft springs.... Are you riding on the bumpstops a lot?

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                So if you're going 2-3" lower on a stock-length shock with soft springs.... Are you riding on the bumpstops a lot?
                I haven't put them in yet, but compared to other coilover kits I've used, if you want to run it low with stock length struts, you will be on the bump stops.

Here is my 325i (not the car getting these JOM coils). Before I shortened the strut housings, I was on the bump stops just sitting there, so I had no suspension travel.

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
                  I haven't put them in yet, but compared to other coilover kits I've used, if you want to run it low with stock length struts, you will be on the bump stops.

Here is my 325i (not the car getting these JOM coils). Before I shortened the strut housings, I was on the bump stops just sitting there, so I had no suspension travel.

can someone speak in lame mans terms... sorry I'm still learning... school me on bump stops? Does that mean the will basically be at the lowest position sitting on the part which prevents the car from dropping down any lower when it hits a bump?

If so the ride will be very stiff and hard yes? I don't know please explain... thanks.

AutoX w/ a Roof Rack for extra Aerodynamics...

Comment

so anyone put this on yet?? so if they are stock length, we cant cut sections out of the front?
                    Last edited by CHIF8008; 11-24-2010, 02:07 PM.
                    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                    Got Drop?? ;-)
                    Originally posted by JinormusJ
                    But of course
                    E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

List updated
                      1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
                      1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
                      1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Comment

Originally posted by DivineStyler View Post
                        can someone speak in lame mans terms... sorry I'm still learning... school me on bump stops? Does that mean the will basically be at the lowest position sitting on the part which prevents the car from dropping down any lower when it hits a bump?

If so the ride will be very stiff and hard yes? I don't know please explain... thanks.
                        Erik, did you measure the spring rates yourself or ?? how to did figure they were too soft?

Divine, if the kit uses stock length shocks, the springs better be stiff if you want to go LOW (2.5"+) if they aren't you will be bouncing off the bump stops of the shocks, perhaps eventually blowing them out. When you drop it LOW you are reducing the amount of shock travel right from the start. Soft springs = more shock travel. Hard springs = less shock travel. To go LOW and still have shock travel, GC uses a shorter shock insert, so you can cut the struts down an inch or so. You can't do this with stock length front shocks. This along with coilovers in front will allow you to dump the car while still having some suspension travel, at least enough to work properly.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                          Erik, did you measure the spring rates yourself or ?? how to did figure they were too soft?
                          I don't have a spring rate tester, so I can't tell you the exact rates, but just by putting my weight (~175 lbs) on the spring, it compresses close to an inch and a half.

Comment

I'm going to hold off before I say the line.
                            -tim
                            Originally posted by Jordan
                            I like the stance
                            -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

^^ Oo0oo The suspense! Its killing me!

Comment

Which springs did you get, Erik? I contacted via E-mail for the heavier duty "cabrio" springs which according to them, are considerably stiffer.
                                Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Working...
                                X