No announcement yet.

JOM Coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a pic of when I had the collars about half way down for the initial trial. Yesterday I spun them all the way down to the bottom before they spin off the assembly.???Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341016543.484592.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	7144131

Comment

Heres a pic of mine after about 20 miles of driving. I didnt like the fact that the rear was still lower that the front so i adjusted them all the way up. The rear was just too soft. So I reinstalled my old springs and it looks perfect. Handles great. Great value for sure
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-24.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	7144132 Click image for larger version

Name:	JOM e30 rear coilover.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	7144133
      Last edited by RGCintha29073; 09-20-2012, 12:30 PM. Reason: Img edit
      sigpic

Comment

This is right before i installed
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

Why is mine so much higher above where the factory springs seat?.... What's wrong whith the comparison here?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341019605.926569.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	7144135

Comment

That sleeve should go down into the stock spring perch much further. It may need to come off again. It looks like the outer sleeve that the spring sits on is not down all the way down on the threaded sleeve goes into the stock strut tube. Its been so long since i installed mine i don't quite remember. IIRC i had something on backward and after i installed the upper strut mount it looked similar to yours and i had to take it all apart and figure out what happened...

Name:	2011-03-17_14-46-28_103.jpg
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	7144159Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-17_17-49-21_428.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	7144160
            Last edited by RGCintha29073; 09-20-2012, 12:31 PM. Reason: Img edit
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tree25 View Post
              This is a pic of when I had the collars about half way down for the initial trial. Yesterday I spun them all the way down to the bottom before they spin off the assembly.???[ATTACH]57452[/ATTACH]
              I think you have the threaded adjuster upside down. You spring shouldn't be nearly that compressed. Take it apart, cut off the factory spring perch, put some rubber o-rings on (trust me, you'll love this when you go to adjust it), and slide the adjuster with the open end down over the strut tube. If you already did all this then idk what's up.
              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

^ +1
                sigpic

Comment

+1 ^^ upside down adjuster. I did the same thing with mine the first time.

Any word on getting a kit together for E34's?

07 Designio E63 AMG / 1984 318i (M20Swapped)

Comment

I definitely did this backwards... I'm pulling it back into my shop and flipping it. I should be an expert at this by now (chuckle). Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                      I think you have the threaded adjuster upside down. You spring shouldn't be nearly that compressed. Take it apart, cut off the factory spring perch, put some rubber o-rings on (trust me, you'll love this when you go to adjust it), and slide the adjuster with the open end down over the strut tube. If you already did all this then idk what's up.
                      Once I cut off the perch, where should I put these O rings? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but if it makes my life easier I'm all for it.

Comment

For anyone doing anything spring/shock/top hat/spring mount related, you should know that you don't need to remove the strut from the car to change springs/inserts/top hats/mounts etc. just unbolt the swaybar endlink to let the suspension droop all the way and unbolt everything at the top. Insert goes out the top of the strut tower, and everything else can come right off the side.

Most of you know this, but for those who don't, it will save you some serious time + wear and tear on your balljoint boots.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341279045.413226.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	7144207
                          Cut off perch Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341279078.522190.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	7144208
                          Make sure to get rid of any surface rust, etch prime and spray bomb

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341279110.227779.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	7144209
                          I think it's a good idea to splurge on some lithium white grease to make adjustments easy in the future

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341279228.686363.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	7144210

Comment

I would advise against the lithium grease, all its going to do is attract dirst, dust, sand and everything else. If you want to make adjustments in the future make sure you spray some brake cleaner on the threads and/or compressed air, maybe some wd40 but dont use grease.
                            -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

^ +1 I have tried both ways and the wd40 is the way to go.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tree25 View Post
                                Once I cut off the perch, where should I put these O rings? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but if it makes my life easier I'm all for it.
                                In case you haven't figured it out, they go under the adjuster sleeve that slips over the strut housing. This stops the whole assembly from spinning when you go to adjust it. My PO didn't do that and now I have to hold the adjuster in place with a channel lock while I adjust it.
                                The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                                Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                                2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X