Victor Reinz Gaskets.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victor Reinz Gaskets.....

Bought a set for my m42 build and I am displeased with their performance.

I pulled the VC today to advanvce the intake cam timing. Upon removal of the cyl 1 coil(I have COP), there was a BIT of oil in the sparkplug well. In the cyl2 well, there was a shitload of oil, about 2/3 of the way up, I couldn't see the sparkplug. It had made it's way into/onto the VC as well. All was properly prepared and tightened on the initial installation, and that where I had to remove the VC to redo the timing cover gaskets (1) week later.

Last week, I installed JiXer's phenolic spacer(writeup/review to come). The TB, upper/lower int, and lower/head gaskets were all showing signs of leakage. There was oil between all on them. All proper TQ spec and prep were performed before install.

I am dissapoint. Victor Reinz, never again. I am now worried about my Head Gasket.
    -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

I have never read anything good about these gaskets except for that they are cheap.
    1985 BMW 325e
    1997 BMW M3/4/5
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

Not cheap at 90€ a pop. They used the same gasket on my m42 after pulling the head and currently no problems.
      I also get oil in the spark plug wells but that is from my valve cover not being tightened due to a few stripped valve cover threads.
      My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
      http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

Don't ever reuse the head gasket.

Mike, I've never been impressed by them either. There's some really awesome RTV called "The Right Stuff" that has always worked well for me. Just put a thin coating on either side of your valve cover gasket. Also, that thing is a total PITA to tighten down. You have to go around it like four times and remember to get the two inner ones.

I've never had a problem with their head gaskets, but paper gaskets on the M42 suck in general. I always just use really good RTV.
        Originally posted by Gruelius
        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post

Mike, I've never been impressed by them either. There's some really awesome RTV called "The Right Stuff" that has always worked well for me. Just put a thin coating on either side of your valve cover gasket. Also, that thing is a total PITA to tighten down. You have to go around it like four times and remember to get the two inner ones.

I've never had a problem with their head gaskets, but paper gaskets on the M42 suck in general. I always just use really good RTV.
          +1 on "The Right Stuff". We use it sparingly on both sides of gaskets for extra insurance at the shop.

As far as the VR gaskets, the only issue we have had at the shop is the head gaskets. All the VR gasket jobs we've done here have had seeping head gaskets from VR. Did several jobs with their stuff and noticed upon after-job check-ups that they seep.

Have also seen a slight bit of oil in the chambers with the head gaskets :(
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            +1 on "The Right Stuff". We use it sparingly on both sides of gaskets for extra insurance at the shop.

As far as the VR gaskets, the only issue we have had at the shop is the head gaskets. All the VR gasket jobs we've done here have had seeping head gaskets from VR. Did several jobs with their stuff and noticed upon after-job check-ups that they seep.

Have also seen a slight bit of oil in the chambers with the head gaskets :(

I used what I had handy, which was RTV Black. I've used it for years on all kinds of stuff and it's never let me down. It went on both sides of the plugwell gaskets and on the VC gasket, but only on the head/gasket surface. The other side has a deep ridge into the VC so I didn't bother. Plus, I was pressed for time this morning.

I'll check my HG in the spring. If it needs changing, i'll be buying OE parts only this time.
            -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Victor Reinz= leaks more than before.
              sigpic

Comment

Make sure to go around the valve cover like 3-4 times. Every time you think you have one side to spec, they loosen up when the surrounding ones are bolted down more.
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

everything except their head gasket seems okay

Comment

I fucking hate VR gaskets. I used them on all of the timing covers for my M42, every single one ended up leaking.

Comment

Victor Reinz is getting to be as bad as URO (APA) parts for quality and longevity.

Comment

If you're looking for the the best RTV, my vote would go to Honda Bond. It ain't cheap, but it is really good stuff.

Comment

I wish I would have read this thread before buying the VR kit!
                          My 1991 325i Cabrio Build

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227529

Comment

Vr sucks penis.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                            Ig:ryno_pzk
                            I like the tuna here.
                            Originally posted by lambo
                            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I kicked RTV a year or two ago when I got hooked on Curil K2 made by Elring.

Its non-hardening so it can continue to flow with the gasket over time unlike RTV. Plus it smells like Krispy Kreme donut glaze.

Comment

Working...
                              X