No announcement yet.

CA Tuned HD axles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you able to elaborate on exactly what part of these axles are upgraded over stock? Is every single part a new component built to your spec? Or are you taking new standard shafts, and putting upgraded CV joints on them? If so, is it the inner joint, outer joint, both? I ask because the common failure mode is twisting/breaking at the splines, and exploding outer CV joints. So I'd like to know how your design improved on the factory axles.

Thanks
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

We need more axle options so I'm not totally surprised there is a market here. Especially given all the swaps and power adders. It's basically OEM or take your chances with a cheap one. There are those $1,000 axles (forget who) but that's not very attractive based on price.
      Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_M View Post
        We need more axle options so I'm not totally surprised there is a market here. Especially given all the swaps and power adders. It's basically OEM or take your chances with a cheap one. There are those $1,000 axles (forget who) but that's not very attractive based on price.
        Those use Porsche 108mm CV's with custom diff flanges. I wish they offered a version that was cheaper, with standard size inner CV's that utilized stock flanges, as I've yet to see an inner CV failure (I'm sure the 600+whp guys have, but I've been through 3 axles with 300whp, and they've all been spline & outer CV damage).

I'm hoping that's what these CA Tuned axles are. A new, better then OEM hardened shaft, with stronger than OEM outer CV joints.

Comment

Ill wait till Igor tunes in, but the shafts are 4340 chromolly. I'm unsure about the rest.
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            Are you able to elaborate on exactly what part of these axles are upgraded over stock? Is every single part a new component built to your spec? Or are you taking new standard shafts, and putting upgraded CV joints on them? If so, is it the inner joint, outer joint, both? I ask because the common failure mode is twisting/breaking at the splines, and exploding outer CV joints. So I'd like to know how your design improved on the factory axles.

Thanks
            The inner and outer metal joins are upgraded.
            This came about from frustration. We got tired of blowing up differentials and axles on our S2002 car with just 405hp. So with plans on going over 700hp we had to do something. These are very close to the porsche axles but still retain the same size. The shafts are thicker and are 4340 Ch. Ends are upgraded with better metal internally.
            Work We Do
            CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
            http://www.catuned.com

Comment

Originally posted by catuned View Post
              The inner and outer metal joins are upgraded.
              This came about from frustration. We got tired of blowing up differentials and axles on our S2002 car with just 405hp. So with plans on going over 700hp we had to do something. These are very close to the porsche axles but still retain the same size. The shafts are thicker and are 4340 Ch. Ends are upgraded with better metal internally.

Excellent. You have me sold.

Comment

I would be in for a group buy! I have atleast 1 car that needs a set of new axles for sure (1 is completely broken, other is leaking) possibly 2.
                1990 325i 5spd
                09 135i 6spd m-sport package

Comment

Depending on the group buy price I might be in for a set

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                  1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                  Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                  Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                  Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

would definitely be interested in a group buy.

Comment

working on it guys
                      Work We Do

Comment

Some boring technical data:

Specifications
                        ABS Ring Type: Toothed
                        ABS Tooth Count: 48
                        Axle Nut Hex Size (mm): 32mm
                        Axle Nut Thread Size: M22X1.50
                        Inboard Joint Bolt Allen Size (mm): 8mm Allen
                        Inboard Joint Bolt Length: 60mm
                        Inboard Joint Bolt Thread Size: 10mmX1.0
                        Inboard Joint Diameter (mm): 100mm
                        Inboard Joint Type: Pancake
                        Length (In): 22-11/16 Inch
                        Length (mm): 576mm
                        Measurement Type: Compressed
                        Number Of Inboard Joint Bolt Holes: 6
                        Number of Outboard Splines: 27
                        Outboard Joint Type: Spline Nut

Make Model Years
                        BMW 318i 1992-1991
                        BMW 318is 1991
                        BMW 325e 1987-1984
                        BMW 325i 1993-1987
                        BMW M3 1991-1988
                        Last edited by catuned; 08-28-2014, 07:31 PM.
                        Work We Do

Comment

Those use Porsche 108mm CV's with custom diff flanges. I wish they offered a version that was cheaper, with standard size inner CV's that utilized stock flanges, as I've yet to see an inner CV failure (I'm sure the 600+whp guys have, but I've been through 3 axles with 300whp, and they've all been spline & outer CV damage).

I'm hoping that's what these CA Tuned axles are. A new, better then OEM hardened shaft, with stronger than OEM outer CV joints.
                          Sounds like I need to add another item on my project list! I am using the late model set from 325i currently... Justin, did yours fail on launch? I wonder if they are fine once you are moving if you don't do drag starts?
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                            Sounds like I need to add another item on my project list! I am using the late model set from 325i currently... Justin, did yours fail on launch? I wonder if they are fine once you are moving if you don't do drag starts?

It's definitely the impact shock that kills them (clutch drops, hard shifts, launches with sticky tires, etc...). If you don't beat on it, stock axles will probably be fine for a stock m60. I literally beat the shit out of mine every day, hence the problems I've had. I'm sure once you reach a certain power/grip level, you could break them even rolling into the throttle gently, but that's nothing a stock m60 will do.

Comment

Add my name to the list of parties interested in a group buy.
                              Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

It's definitely the impact shock that kills them (clutch drops, hard shifts, launches with sticky tires, etc...). If you don't beat on it, stock axles will probably be fine for a stock m60. I literally beat the shit out of mine every day, hence the problems I've had. I'm sure once you reach a certain power/grip level, you could break them even rolling into the throttle gently, but that's nothing a stock m60 will do.
                                Yeah I am wondering if this is something I'll need to do for my config. I don't do drag starts, but I do use 30 treadwear tires and modified diff.
                                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                                X