No announcement yet.

Crank Scraper (review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, must be my ISP. I'm at work now and can access it fine. I can also access it via my iPhone on the cell network, but not when I'm connected to my home network.

I sent them an email to place an order. Looks like a nice product!
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegle View Post
      Another issue for me was the oil pump. The area where the oil pump seals against the block wasn't large enough for my oil pump. I had to remove quite a bit of material to get the oil pump to sit properly with the scraper. For those of you who plan on using this scraper, MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE THE OIL PUMP DURING THE FITTING/GRINDING PHASE! I had to go back and clean off the RTV I laid down in order to do more grinding. Total pain in the ass, but could have been avoided if I thought to check the oil pump clearance..
      Just installed mine last night.

I had to do the same exact thing. RTV sealant and all. I actually took it off and rushed to cut the hole bigger and slapped it back on while the RTV wasn't set yet. It will probably leak and I'll get to do the job again in the car.

Comment

I really wasn't impressed with the craftsmanship of the scraper. I had to enlarge/elongate several oil pan bolt holes in the scraper, this should not be a requirement of installation, bolt holes don't change from block to block. Also the fact that it took a month with crappy communication to get it shipped to me. It's too bad there aren't other suppliers out there.
        sigpic
        '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyVT View Post
          I really wasn't impressed with the craftsmanship of the scraper. I had to enlarge/elongate several oil pan bolt holes in the scraper, this should not be a requirement of installation, bolt holes don't change from block to block. Also the fact that it took a month with crappy communication to get it shipped to me. It's too bad there aren't other suppliers out there.
          Wow, sorry to hear you had bad communication. I emailed him, he responded a few days later with a phone call and email, and had it made/shipped out a week later (although I did stress my urgency).

I did find that some of the bolt holes were off and the fitment wasn't perfect, but I'm far from an expert when it comes to this kind of stuff so I'm not sure what kind of manufacturing variances to expect. I'd think since people swap cranks and oil pans and stuff all the time, and the tolerances for those have to be damn near perfect, that the scraper could have better tolerances... But I was OK with doing a little work on it.
          Last edited by JGood; 06-25-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyVT View Post
            It's too bad there aren't other suppliers out there.
            there are alternatives but not at that price point.
            '12 F30 328i Sport Line
            '91 SpecE30 #523
            '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

yea...I've got one as well, and it was a uphill battle to get the item from them.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
              PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Does anyone know if these really improve mpg at all?
                Yes, I care about mpg..there I said it.

Comment

has anyone slapped these on a b27 engine at all???

Comment

Originally posted by Schneider325 View Post
                    Does anyone know if these really improve mpg at all?
                    Yes, I care about mpg..there I said it.
                    mpg?.....u r joking right?...
                    I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by Invisible Saddle View Post
                      has anyone slapped these on a b27 engine at all???
                      What is it you'd like to know? He makes them for 2.7's as well. You just have to specify that when ordering (or any other rod/crank/oil pan/oil pump mod for that matter).

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
                        mpg?.....u r joking right?...
                        Did it sound like a joke?

Ishihara-Johnson crank scrapers and other windage control products are a very simple but effective way to improve the performance of your engine!

What are some of the benefits?

· Less rotating mass for the engine to accelerate because of the removed oil
                        · Less loss of power because of excessive drag caused by the windage cloud
                        · Helps reduce engine damaging oil-foaming
                        · Helps avoid oil starvation by keeping the oil in the pan during hard braking and turning as well as during off-road driving
                        · Helps to cool critical engine parts by quickly returning heated oil to the sump
                        · Helps to prevent the cylinder walls from being overloaded with oil
                        · Can help with fuel efficiency

Comment

He put "CAN help", not "help"
                          because I think it's more of a maybe kinda could happen in theory but only
                          on a microscopic level in a certain scenario sort of thing. :)

Comment

I'm willing to bet the small increase in engine efficiency will be canceled out with the 5lb or so of weight gained by installing it (in reference to MPG).
                            Last edited by JGood; 07-02-2010, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schneider325 View Post
                              Did it sound like a joke?
                              I didnt mean to imply it could not help mpg....but seriously what % of folks that buy this product are concerned about mpg?...

I figgered a dude that rocks K!s is more interested in engine health and performance than mpg....

no offense intended....but mpg.......cmon now.
                              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Hey man, K1s are ballin :D

He used "can", as in maybe, not "could", as in probably..just saying.

I was just thinking a noticeable increase, up to a half mpg would probably increase interest for some. Who wouldn't want to help better circulate their engine oil, AND increasing mph for the same price. Ehh?

Comment

Working...
                                X