Chariot Gauge - Wideband O2, Boost/Vac, Oil pressure, Temp and Voltmeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a quick mock up.
    I tried to keep this version as e30 OEM as possible.

Daytime

Nighttime

Comment

And possibly a way to get everything (though not exact) on one screen for phones.

(pic stolen from ebay)
      Last edited by Fusion; 01-01-2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

And I made a 2in1 gauge if it is possible to program them that way.

Last edited by Fusion; 01-01-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Will the ioS version use the same board with just a different app or will the board be modified as well ?

I take it any display changes will also be app specific and thus downloadable ?

TIA..I still like this :-)
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
            And I made a 2in1 gauge if it is possible to program them that way.

These all look incredible! They give me a good target for design once I finish up the process coding. What did you use to design them? I'm considering redoing how the gauges are displayed to incorporate an image for the gauge instead of programmatically drawing it. This way any sort of gauge layout could be designed to match any interior.

The only hiccup is then matching the gauge values with where the needle should point when the data is received from the controller. This could be fixed by letting the user configure two points on the gauge by setting the needle to them and recording what the values are - then the app could interpolate the rest assuming the gauges are always linear. I'll have to think on this a little more but I'm really impressed by the gauges you posted.

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars
            Will the ioS version use the same board with just a different app or will the board be modified as well ?

I take it any display changes will also be app specific and thus downloadable ?
            The iOS controller will be slightly different due to iOS having Bluetooth 4.0 on all devices since the iPhone 4s came out (Android only recently provided 4.0 support in the latest version 4.3). Other than the Bluetooth chip the controllers will be identical.

You're correct about any display changes being app specific. All updates will be beta tested and then pushed out to the production version in the app store/play store.

Originally posted by jaywood
            Is it going to be iPad friendly/compatible?
            Absolutely! I'll make sure it's iPad compatible at launch.

Comment

Thanks! I'd be glad to provide them for the project.
              They're vectors drawn in AI so everything is layered and easy to scale etc.

I'd also love to hear what others think about the gauge skins or any ideas or styles of gauges you may want.

Comment

Originally posted by codrum View Post
                The iOS controller will be slightly different due to iOS having Bluetooth 4.0 on all devices since the iPhone 4s came out (Android only recently provided 4.0 support in the latest version 4.3). Other than the Bluetooth chip the controllers will be identical.
                Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that each version of bluetooth was backward compatible so wouldnt it be easier for you to put the 4.0 chip in all the boards so as to just have one piece of hardware ?
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

Alice the Time Capsule
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                  Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that each version of bluetooth was backward compatible so wouldnt it be easier for you to put the 4.0 chip in all the boards so as to just have one piece of hardware ?
                  The hardware is backwards compatible, the issue is on the software side. Most Android phones haven't adopted 4.3 yet which is the update that provides support for Bluetooth low energy (4.0). So to cover all Android devices I'm still using Bluetooth 2.1 since all versions of Android support it. Once the iOS port is complete I'll revisit the Android app and handle different Bluetooth code bases that will switch depending on which version of Android is installed on the phone/tablet.

This software fragmentation is a big issue with Android devices, something iOS solves by having one line of phones and one line of tablets so when a new version of iOS comes out all of the hardware gets updated quickly. The limitation with iOS devices is Bluetooth 4.0 hardware was used starting with the iPhone 4s. All prior devices have older Bluetooth hardware but not a real software stack for small developers to support.

Comment

I was thinking to grab a board to play with and wait til you get the ioS app done but your mastery of the subject makes it obvious I should wait til you roll it out.

Kudos for the effort on this.

Alice the Time Capsule

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                      I was thinking to grab a board to play with and wait til you get the ioS app done but your mastery of the subject makes it obvious I should wait til you roll it out.

Kudos for the effort on this.
                      Right on man, I really appreciate the support and interest. I'll give you a shout when the iOS version launches.

Comment

I've had a few people request the CAD drawings of the board. I'm not really comfortable releasing the gerber files just yet but hopefully these images will suffice. The board was developed using Eagle's CADSoft. Let me know if there are any particular parts you want to see more in-depth.

This is the board with all layers turned on (except for drill):

The layout/schema of the board:

I've been working on positioning and bounds of the various parts of the gauge interface. There are three dynamic sizes of the gauge: small medium and large used for the single gauge, dual gauge, and quad gauge respectively. Each will resize based on the size of the hardware's screen which makes it compatible with iPhone and iPad screens:

I'm not settled on font type or size yet, but the positioning looks right:

I'm a certified Apple app developer (for the low low price of $99 a year!), so I can start testing the app on a physical device now. Getting there..

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
                          And possibly a way to get everything (though not exact) on one screen for phones.

(pic stolen from ebay)
                          This would be super awesome! Maybe have a digital value displayed at one end of each bar? Perhaps in the settings there could be a skinning option for different gauge sets

I really like this product. It could be inconspicuously installed and then if your phone or tab isn't hooked up, the interior would look like nothing special, stealth mode. No gauges cluttering it up unless you need or want them, genius
                          Last edited by LEANE30; 01-09-2014, 06:32 PM.
                          ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

very neat, but would it be possible to setup a GPS speedo too?
                            I wonder if I could somehow permanently mount a small tablet in the cluster area.

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
                            function>form

Comment

Loving all your work. Cant wait for my iOS version
                              sigpic
                              "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by dmoney(AB) View Post
                                very neat, but would it be possible to setup a GPS speedo too?
                                I wonder if I could somehow permanently mount a small tablet in the cluster area.
                                I've had a lot of requests for a speedometer from the classic car community as well, I think it's a very good idea. What's nice is the functionality to support a speedo is entirely within the phone/tablet which means I can update the apps with it after the boards ship since no modification to the board would be needed. I'll be looking into it closely after the iOS app is complete. I think I'll give the voltmeter a dedicated gauge view too..

Originally posted by deutschman
                                Loving all your work. Cant wait for my iOS version
                                Thanks man!

Comment

Working...
                                X