No announcement yet.

CNC Machining Services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the good feedback y'all, I will have to rip mine off to check the length of the shaft inside the thing. I't'll be about 4" long overall, more or less. Solidworks tells me it'll weigh:

6061: .46 pounds = 7oz
    303 stainless: 1.32 pounds = 21oz

the set screw will be in the back, away from the driver. I'll draw it in so you can see it in my next pic.

Comment

Comment

If the shift lever went all way up in there, that would rock. short knobs are nicey nice
        BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
          If the shift lever went all way up in there, that would rock. short knobs are nicey nice
          :stupid:

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

that last design in black steel, with patter engraved with the shaft going all the way up would be friggen MONEY$$$$$!!!!!!! shoot a price for my above stated set up, as im sure this will be the ideal set up for most people. thanks again man, good work!
            Dan

Comment

the shaft currently comes to within .5" of the top of the shifter. I can make shorter-holed ones for folks who have super short shifters already, but they probably already have nice knobs with their ssk. I am going to go outside and pull mine off in a minute. to check the hole.

Price for steel, painted black, will be about $50 since powdercoat/painting is pretty pricy, and I can't do just a few. The steel and stainless ones will weigh the same. Aluminum can also be painted, for those who want a lighter knob, but anodizing looks so much better.

I will make one aluminum one, and try out the shift pattern engraving, and take some real pics.
              BTW: I am on vacation from the 22nd until the 28th, so I can't do anything until October, my apologies.

Comment

we want the shaft to go as deep as possible (or at least I do) so the shifter is even shorter, and most of us want heavy knobs, not light ones to help with the added notchyness of a SSK. $50 for the steel powder coated black with engraved pattern sounds good to me, once plans get going and we see something, i'd be more than happy to give you a deposit for one... keep us informed please, thanks again man,

Dan
                Dan

Comment

So an aluminum one would technically be $30, and $5 more for anodizing?

I wouldn't want a weighted knob, that weight constantly pushes on your synchros giving them a lot of unnecessary wear.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt
                    Oooohhh... maybe anodized black? That'd be hawwwwwt, w/the shift pattern machined in the top afterwards so it's natural aluminum?

EDIT: Kinda like this.

Only w/the shift pattern actually machined into the top, not on an insert.[/img]
                    is it just me or would that knob plus aluminum pedals (in that color) and one of those momo stearing wheels in that color ( the ones with the medal spoke thingies) look REALLLY hot? :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                      So an aluminum one would technically be $30, and $5 more for anodizing?

I wouldn't want a weighted knob, that weight constantly pushes on your synchros giving them a lot of unnecessary wear.
                      Which is exactly why I don't want to do it. I can't live with being the murderer of a hundred Getrag 260s. (unless I am well paid for it)

Comment

I took some time and made something I think that a lot of the members would like. It looks somewhat like the UUC RK3 but instead of going straight at the bottom, it just continues. Maybe people would like this more than some others. Its just another alternative.

You can do whatever you want with the set screw. This is a ROUGH drawing because I don't have access to CAD software and I did it in MS Paint. No dimensions because they are up to you, but I think this shape is attractive and slender, not soo bulky.

If you like this design and decide to use it, I would be more than happy to purchase it from you in Aluminum with the 5 speed engravings on top.

Thanks, compliments and flames welcome.

-Gary
                        Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

looks good gary, we need to measure the length on the shift lever from the top to the point below where it gets 'fat'
                          BEERTECH

Comment

Clearly you're a newbie to manual trannys.

Thats an old wives tale. No worries about shift knob weight.
                            Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                              Clearly you're a newbie to manual trannys.

Thats an old wives tale. No worries about shift knob weight.
                              Yeah, wouldn't the knob only push the synchros further apart by causing the lever to rest on the gate?

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

and I know I would REALLY prefer a heavy knob!!!!! please make them!
                                Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X