E30 325ix M50 Swap or restore to AWD M20 ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 325ix M50 Swap or restore to AWD M20 ix

Hi, Just purchased this 89 ix that was in the middle of a M50 swap. Just engine is set into chassis with G260. The car bones is clean with very minor rust on door lip and minor in battery tray. The car originally was an ix automatic. The PO planned a M50 swap and got as far as just setting the M50 inside the chassis. I am contemplating if I should continue the build or remove it and restore the car and put in a manual ix set up - Rebuild M20 with G260 and manual transfer case. I have all parts to do so. Just trying to see if restoring the car in this manner will retain higher value I can always do a M50 swap into a 2WD chassis Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Value is generally in originality. Also, I can't imagine why anyone would want to M50 swap an IX. More weight, sounds worse, only slightly more HP, which is now pretty easily obtainable with a modified M20, and unlike a 2WD E30, you have the issue of AWD to contend with. My vote is for M20.

Comment

Agreed. I can't imagine putting all of the time, effort and money into a 24v swap ix, and then using an M50 for maybe another 20hp. nope. do the M20. even an M52 and pretty much an S52 wouldn't be worth it (too expensive for what it is).

M20 car will hold it's value better for sure too.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If you are looking for power, a turbo M20 can do a lot. Or a 2.8 stroker based on he m52b28 crank.

Comment

Thanks guys I will restore the car with the M20 with manual trans and transfer case It will be a bit. But I will update the thread Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What are you doing with the m50?

Comment

Working...
            X