Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treehouse Racing style CABs or different headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treehouse Racing style CABs or different headers?

So I swapped an S52 into my E30 about 2 years ago, along swapping out every single bushing and piece of the suspension. All the bushing I used were Lemforder, except the front control arms and tie rods, which I had gotten a free ebay set from a guy. Well I recently decided I wanted to replace them and bought a new Lemforder setup to do so.

While I was under the car pulling it all off, I realized my Raceland headers were fully in contact with the CAB. When I did the swap originally they were definitely close, but I don't think they were touching. I pulled them off without too much issue, but now I want to make sure there's clearance there, which requires some thinking. As I see it I've got three options:
    • Treehouse Racing style CABs- obviously much smaller than stock lollipops and should clear no problem. Also the easiest and potentially cheapest solution. Major con being a harsher ride? I've read mixed reviews on this, but I purposely made the choice of rubber on almost every other bushing on the car, so I'm pretty NVH averse
    • New headers- I've read that ebay style headers clear stock size CABs, but I just searched ebay and it seems they're no longer being sold. I also have a 2.25" dual exhaust, which I purposely matched to the Raceland headers because they also have 2.25" exits. Not stoked on the idea of going to 2" exists. Surely don't want to pay $800+ for any authentic Sprint header or any nonsense like that.
    • Modify current headers- I guess I COULD go this route, but obviously much more work and annoyance. REALLY don't want to do this if I can get around it.
    Looking for input from you folks, will I hate the harsh delrin bushed CABs? Do ebay headers actually clear stock lollipops? Are there other economical headers that would fit and have 2.25" outlet? What would you do in my place?
    2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
    1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
    1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

I opted for the condor speed shop cabs as the offset gives the most clearance . I didn’t notice a harsher ride . I would be interested in a nice set of aftermarket headers so I will pay attention to any recommendations added to this thread

Comment

I think my plan to is to go with new CABs. If I hate them I can just lift the engine a bit to squeeze stockers back in there and run stock again until I come up with a better solution. Still definitely interested in hearing other ideas though!
      1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
      1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

I have run Treehouse CABs before. They transmitted shocking bangs and jolts when going over bumps and potholes. I'm pretty sure they broke loose at least 1 or 2 body welds.

I now run rubber OEM E36 non-offset E36 M3 CABs. They are almost just as responsive as the Treehouse's, but being rubber everything is much smoother. I'll never run Treehouse-style CABs again.

Comment

Bimmerworlds track cab is like tree house.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
            I have run Treehouse CABs before. They transmitted shocking bangs and jolts when going over bumps and potholes. I'm pretty sure they broke loose at least 1 or 2 body welds.

I now run rubber OEM E36 non-offset E36 M3 CABs. They are almost just as responsive as the Treehouse's, but being rubber everything is much smoother. I'll never run Treehouse-style CABs again.
            I foresee this in my near future. Will likely have to modify the headers to clear the stock lollipops

Comment

Working...
            X