DIY A/C Lines

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • sharky
    replied
    just ordered mine, hope it works

    Leave a comment:


  • ChuckNE
    replied
    I know there are several e36 lines that run from the compressor to the condensor at different angles. The original M3 fitting is angled in a way that it points straight down to the ground (Obviously this won't work). I found an e36 line at the pick-n-pull that had the correct angle to install the splicer in the hose. I know others have used the hose from a 91 318is and although a little long, can be made to work.

    As far as idle issues. I do have a slight idle issue as the compressor cycles on and off, but no stalling and not really much of an issue. If I blip the throttle it holds steady.

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    Originally posted by hugh jass
    getting the 413 ecu to idle the engine up when you hit the e30 a/c button so the engine doesn't bog and stall when coming to a stop. it isn't absolutely necessary but i like everything to work the way it was meant to.
    ohhh i forgot that the idle bumps up!! i haven't had a/c in sooo long man :(

    o/p also mentions that he didn't have any issues with the idle, im willing to take a chance to see what happens and if it is an issue then i will have no other choice but to address it. for now though, i just want cold air to circulate.

    Leave a comment:


  • hugh jass
    replied
    Originally posted by dude8383
    keep in mind that i have a 318is, my a/c lines don't go out as far as they would on the m20, so i think i will have enough room to get the splicer in there as i need to actually extend the a/c lines.

    might be a stupid quesiton, but...what about the wiring?

    it seems the o/p just hooked everything up and it worked.
    getting the 413 ecu to idle the engine up when you hit the e30 a/c button so the engine doesn't bog and stall when coming to a stop. it isn't absolutely necessary but i like everything to work the way it was meant to.

    Leave a comment:


  • phreshkid
    replied
    man, you just saved me some serious miserability while driving.
    the last two days it was 110, 106, and only god knows what he has in store for us today.

    thank you, from the bottom of my heart and back.

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    Originally posted by hugh jass
    not long, they arrive in a few days.
    in my experience, there wasn't enough room to put the splicer in the hose from the compressor to the condensor and still get it to bend enough. i ended up cutting the fitting off the e36 hose and welding it onto the e30 hose. the steel tubing is thin and it was tough to weld but my brother in law was able to do it.
    i haven't charged the system yet but all the hoses are hooked up. now onto the wiring....
    keep in mind that i have a 318is, my a/c lines don't go out as far as they would on the m20, so i think i will have enough room to get the splicer in there as i need to actually extend the a/c lines.

    might be a stupid quesiton, but...what about the wiring?

    it seems the o/p just hooked everything up and it worked.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30s50dan
    replied
    thanks for the DIY,I am going to work on that right now,before the M50 swap

    Leave a comment:


  • hugh jass
    replied
    not long, they arrive in a few days.
    in my experience, there wasn't enough room to put the splicer in the hose from the compressor to the condensor and still get it to bend enough. i ended up cutting the fitting off the e36 hose and welding it onto the e30 hose. the steel tubing is thin and it was tough to weld but my brother in law was able to do it.
    i haven't charged the system yet but all the hoses are hooked up. now onto the wiring....

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    Just wanted to bump this up as I will be tackling this once i get me some E36 A/C lines. Chuck, how long did it take these guys to get the parts to your door?

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    Originally posted by jahnaboi
    Will be doing this on on Thursday before the Laker game to see how much I could get done. I'll snap a picture of all lines before and after.

    -Jasper
    much appreciated man.

    did any of you guys just try reversing the a/c line? i think it fits...i'm going to try this weekend to confirm it. i gotta get a/c in before traffic kills me.

    Leave a comment:


  • jahnaboi
    replied
    Originally posted by dude8383
    Yeh I wanted to see what the E36 fittings look like.
    Will be doing this on on Thursday before the Laker game to see how much I could get done. I'll snap a picture of all lines before and after.

    -Jasper

    Leave a comment:


  • mrhinton
    replied
    this will be one of the first things i do to my 24v swap.

    Leave a comment:


  • ChuckNE
    replied
    Follow-up on my first post. This past weekend I replaced the dryer, expansion valve and all of the o rings in the system. I took the car into an A/C shop today to have the system vacuumed and filled with r134. No leaks and I have cold air. I think this will be one of my favorite mods beyond the S50.

    Also, I have read several posts about needing to run a signal wire to the DME to maintain idle with the A/C on...I didn't do this and have no issues with my idle (knock on wood). Good luck to everyone on adding A/C and I hope you find my DIY useful.

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    Originally posted by jahnaboi
    Yes. I had the lines since the beginning of my project. Luckily the motor I purchased came with them.

    Bmw a/c fittings? In comparison of the e36 fittings?
    Yeh I wanted to see what the E36 fittings look like.

    Leave a comment:


  • WADE30
    replied
    I live in Phoenix, AZ. 115 degree beautiful sun shining fucking miserable days. Thanks for this Chuck.

    Leave a comment:

Working...