Oil level Sensor M50 -> e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The solution to wire up the E34 oil level sensor:

Note that I didn't have the correct connector, so I made due with one that fits the pins.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-05-23 12.09.00.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.5 KB ID:	9927635
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jake5 View Post
      Can anyone tell me what pins are what? I.E which is 1, 2 and 3?
      Does anyone know the name of this type of connector?
      Mine is broken but the wires are still intact. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201126-162242__01.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	9962222
      1990 325iS
      1990 318iS (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by shawshankNG View Post

Does anyone know the name of this type of connector?
        Mine is broken but the wires are still intact. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201126-162242__01.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	9962222
        It is an AMP housing style connector which can be purchased from Mouser, DigiKey, etc.

Here is a link to help you get started...click on the data sheet and study the dimensions to see if one of these is a match...otherwise you will need to search a bit.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

It is an AMP housing style connector which can be purchased from Mouser, DigiKey, etc.

Here is a link to help you get started...click on the data sheet and study the dimensions to see if one of these is a match...otherwise you will need to search a bit.

https://www.mouser.com/TE-Connectivi...yvsm2eZ1z0yy6b

MJ
          Thank you. I found its not the same with most crankshaft sensors connectors so I'm going to have to find it and its specs as this one below didn't fit properly.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20201127-WA0021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	9962309

​​​​​https://shop.efiexpress.com/products..._connector_kit
          AMP Junior Power Timer 3 pin male connector kit
          1990 325iS
          1990 318iS (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by shawshankNG View Post

Thank you. I found its not the same with most crankshaft sensors connectors so I'm going to have to find it and its specs as this one below didn't fit properly.
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG-20201127-WA0021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	9962309

​​​​​https://shop.efiexpress.com/products..._connector_kit
            AMP Junior Power Timer 3 pin male connector kit

It may just be easier to convert both the male and female to a matching connector. I found a few examples.

This seller has a good selection and seems to move a lot of parts:

As an alternative there is always something a little more unknown:

Hopefully this helps, if you search for "3 way power timer" you can find some more results.

MJ

Comment

for anyone doing this job, that is NOT running a factory oil level sender (in this case, running the TMS oil temp gauge adapter), and wants to turn the dummy light off on the check panel, i have the solution for you...

the dynamic oil level wire, coming from the c101 (#10, blue wire), needs to be grounded. EXCEPT!!! if you look closely at the Bentley or other wiring diagrams, there is a small inline resistor that needs to be present. if you connect that wire to ground, WITHOUT the resistor, the light will not turn off. the average resistance of an oil level sensor that is in the "full" position, is roughly 998ohms. you need a 1000ohm resistor, in line, before the wire gets grounded to the chassis. with the resistor in place, and the wire securely grounded to the chassis, you should no longer see the oil level dummy light illuminated.

i searched high and low for an answer to this, and it doesn't seem like anyone has ever documented going to the effort to turn the light off. i hope this helps someone.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
              X