92 nv m50 into 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 nv m50 into 318is

I will start this thread to get some help with my swap and let it be an information source for those with a setup similar to mine.

The car: 1991 318is

Engine: 1992 non vanos m50 from 325i, auto harness, 402 ECU (has a dark red lable)

porsche 944 brake booster

stock getrag 240 transmission

stock 4.10 rear end (I think...)

stock m42 rear half of driveshaft

e36 325i 5 speed front half of the driveshaft

Photos to come after I grab a coffee
    Transaction Feedback!

Ok here we go:

I pulled the m42 out last week, removed the master cylinder (11mm) lines if I remember correctly. Waiting on the porsche booster to come in before I remove the stock one.

Here is the m42 harness

The connector on the left is the diagnostic port which will not be used any longer, the connector on the right is what you must cut and save to make your harness adaptor (this plugs into the e30 body plug next to the fuse box)

This plug that sits under the ECU bracket is for signaling the dme when the AC is turned on
    [more on this later]

I cut this thick ground that attaches to this junction block, it didn't unbolt but was part of the whole assembly so it had to be cut. The wire went down through the harness and through the plastic housing-

E36 harness:

E36 harness side 1:

E36 harness side 2:

I need some help identifying what plugs need to be cut and spliced together... I think I am missing a body side e36 connector but I'm not sure...
    Last edited by richardb; 08-09-2009, 08:16 AM. Reason: updated info
    Transaction Feedback!

Comment

[quote=richardb;1625429]

I cut this thick ground that attaches to this junction block, it didn't unbolt but was part of the whole assembly so it had to be cut. The wire went down through the harness and through the plastic housing

quote]

At least you are not going to be using that harness but you are supposed to unbolt the other wires from that and leave the terminal attachehed to the engine harness. Thats why it didn't unbolt, everything bolted to it.
      Originally posted by Nicademus
      My car beats off to that car. :bow:

Comment

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/bme30/066.jpg
        that is the plug for that send the a signal to the dme when the ac is turned on.
        looking for a e30m50 swap harness adapter pm me $150 shipped
        email nitroman12@gmail.com

Comment

KingB- so the wires that bolt to the junction and go back to the fuse box are all not needed? Am I to remove the entire thing?
          Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by gregslow318i View Post
            http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/bme30/066.jpg
            that is the plug for that send the a signal to the dme when the ac is turned on.
            I found this on the 24v swap thread:

" Don't forget to connect the wiring for the "a/c on" to the DME, I will look it up, but I think it is the white and black wire, you just connect it to the a/c switch so it gets power when the a/c is on. It keeps the engine from pulling down with the a/c on at idle. "

Ok... e34 oil pan, pick-up tube and dip stick purchased, pretty good deal at $120 shipped
            Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Does anyone know if it's ok to cut off the auto trans ecu plug and just cap it? I cut each wire one by one I would imagine if I tape the ends it won't affect anything?

Also how do I remove the m42 diagnostic port harness from the 318is plastic wire cover (from firewall) so I can re-use it with the m50 wire harness

Thanks!

I will update progress with pictures when I get a chance... I've been very busy at work
              Last edited by richardb; 08-12-2009, 07:18 PM.
              Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Any takers here on my questions...
                Transaction Feedback!

Comment

if you are pulling the harness apart you can just cut out the auto stuff. as far as the diagnostic port plug their is a plastic lock ring that goes around the dace that need to be unscrewed then it should just pull out

Comment

Cool thanks... I cut out the auto stuff, I just wanted to make sure none of those wires had to be grounded or anything that would effect anything.

That diagnostic port gave me a real tough time... from the looks of it it needs a special tool but maybe I'm just tired.

For those who are following this, I'll get some update pictures up in a bit.
                    Transaction Feedback!

Comment

sorry I meant *base* if you take a flat head and tap one of the slots it will loosen up and the just screw off

Comment

For some reason it took me a while to realize how to do this... I'm shot
                        Here's what he's talking about:

And voila, it's loosened up and out... now the e36 side can go in the factory location.

Goodbye auto ECU plug. There were two wires a brown and an orange that went into the engine ECU side... I hope these don't need to go anywhere.

I decided why make an adaptor... I will just wire this guy directly into the harness, and cut again in the future if an s50 makes its way in there.

And the e34 m50 pan, pick up tube, dip stick tube- came already washed and clean that was nice to find.

I think one of these is the one to be wired to the e30 body plug, and am guessing the other is for the auto trans... there are more pins in one than the other so I think the one with less pins is for the auto trans and can be cut out. Can someone confirm this?

Also picked these up from studiouspete just because it was an excellent deal

IE sub frame mounts

That is all for now
                        Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Oh yeah here is the m50 when I first brought it home. I am excited, but seeing those s50's out there is depressing!

Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by richardb View Post
                            Oh yeah here is the m50 when I first brought it home. I am excited, but seeing those s50's out there is depressing!

im with ya..M50 NV soon to drop in as soon as my clutch gets here, I feel like im at the first rung of the ladder in power for 24v swaps...... M50nv M50V,S50,S52,S38, V8,V12....WOW!! it is depressing!!
                            NASA
                            BMWCCA member
                            PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                            1997 M3 sedan
                            2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

This is getting expensive! I picked these up today time will tell if I can use them or not

Wiring is 90% done, cleaned the block and painting it tomorrow... going to swap the oil pan now.

Pics later
                              Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Working...
                              X