Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight Check in and 3.73 to 3.46 Review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight Check in and 3.73 to 3.46 Review.

Weighed the car at the local dump.

2520 with
    Full tank of Gas
    Full Interior
    No Spare
    Lots of weight Reduction
    S50
    6 Speed (Getrag)
    DS1s
    M3 Brakes

Im EXTREMELY happy with the weigh in and the car. Complete beast. At the same time I swapped my 3.73 to a 3.46 because someone offered me a trade.

For tearing around town the 3.73 is a FANTASTIC gear for a Getrag or ZF box on the E30 platform. If you never plan on going over 60 (5 speed only) First gear IS usable but a real tire has to implemented to be able to hook up. I was able to hook up and it was gnarly. If I ever blow up this 3.46. I would put a 3.73 back in no problem. Top speed was 166. I have been there a couple times and it has NO problems getting there. The 3.73 really opens up the top end.

As far as the 3.46.

Its still a nice agressive gear and as most said its a perfect mixture of gearing. But another small bump towards the shorter gearing would be nice. I would be interested to compare some acceleration against some of my friends to really see some differences. I don't think the car is any slower. Just a different sort of beast. 3rd gear power slides are still given out like candy. So I approve. 180MPH is the new top speed. We shall see if I can make it there. I see no reason why it would not besides the flying brick thing.

3.73 for some serious oomph.
    3.46 for a nice blend
    3.25 for mileage.
    2.93 for turbos.
    Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
    Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
    Julian 848-248-8029

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
    Weighed the car at the local dump.
    Lots of weight Reduction
    Where did you do the weight reduction? My early chassis with swap was 2650 lbs full tank
    no driver
    no tar in trunk
    Half interior
    no spare and eu bumpers but also had M tech I hanging all around.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Nice job on the weight reduction, #2500 wet is a nice weight target.

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
      Top speed was 166. I have been there a couple times and it has NO problems getting there. The 3.73 really opens up the top end.
      Was this an indicated 166 on the speedo?

Comment

Pictures of your car? Good job.

Comment

good weight. what weight reduction have you done? e30, swap or not, hitting 180 kinda makes me laugh. 166 is also surprising. pretty cool, but where did you find a place to open it up like that/how long did it take haha?

Comment

1+

Originally posted by lennon View Post
            good weight. What weight reduction have you done? E30, swap or not, hitting 180 kinda makes me laugh. 166 is also surprising. Pretty cool, but where did you find a place to open it up like that/how long did it take haha?
            Turbo E30
            Roadkill 80lb 93 octane OBDI tune
            BavSol Cylinder Head
            Stock S50 in. cam Schrick ex. cam
            Otis' tubular T4 manifold
            Oringed 87mm S52, Eagle rods and 8.5:1 CP pistons.
            GT4094r w/Batmowheel Impeller
            614whp@17.5psi, 100 Oct
            690whp@21psi, 100 Oct
            801whp@27psi, 110 URT
            Old: 1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38 (636whp)
            New: ?
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

Comment

You have a full interior, what kind of weight reduction did you do to lose that much weight? That's impressive.

Might want to find a set of accurate scales. I weighed my car at a steel manufacturing plant weigh station, and it was over 100lb off of what the drag strip scale said.

Also, was that a gauge indicated or GPS/radar verified 166? Most e30's are around 5% high, some more, some less. My m50 car gauge reads like 10% high.

I am about 110% sure a 230whp car will not be doing 180mph. Maybe if you get to 350hp or so. And I sure hope you have the tires/suspension/aerodynamics to support those speeds, otherwise you will be roadkill.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

2500lbs is not too hard to believe. My 318is was at 2300 with full interior.

I want to see a vid of the new top speed!

Comment

I believe it, I'm just curious what all he did. My m20 track car is 2420 with no interior, just a single 15lb seat and dashboard. I'm looking for creative ways to lose more weight.
                  85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                  e30 restoration and V8 swap
                  24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post

There is a big difference in weight between an M42 and a S52 plus the added weight of the six speed. They weigh more than a ZF 310 or 320.

180 mph that's a good laugh.
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

2540 with a 1/2 tank of gas an no driver. Car had full interior minus carpet and rear seat, no spare, no sound deadening left, and weight loss from a full exhaust and wheels.

Also wanting to know what weight reduction you have done

Comment

160~170 depending on tire SLR is theoritically the highest attainable speed @7K engine RPM (0.83 6th, 3.73 FD and 235/40R17tire) with 0 drag.

In order to overcome the drag at that speed you'd need approx 300ft-lb @ 7K RPM at the engine.

180 in an e30 is going to take built LS1 torque numbers.

+1 on optimistic speedos. mine is ~10% high.
                        Last edited by JeffRR; 11-21-2009, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffRR View Post

Or some turbo love. Turbos make torque too!

Comment

I think >140mph you will need to measure your speed in knots....

Comment

Ok full weight reduction list. I will post what I removed. Just easier.

Power Steering
                              ALL AC components.
                              ALL sound material. (My car had a lot, I mean ALL of it)
                              All engine pay padding / sound material
                              Antenna
                              Spare Tire Tub
                              Parking Brake System
                              Spare Tire
                              Diving Boards (Replaced with Plastic)
                              A lot of undercoating (Go pressure washer / wire brush)
                              Double Thick Early model carpet replaced with Late model (There is a difference)
                              Random Wiring (Antenna, Fog lights, Check panel)

Ill post it as I remember.

Originally posted by lennon View Post
                              good weight. what weight reduction have you done? e30, swap or not, hitting 180 kinda makes me laugh. 166 is also surprising. pretty cool, but where did you find a place to open it up like that/how long did it take haha?
                              Not that long. Going to colorado springs. We were in arizona. WAY nicer roads than california. I hit the rev limiter @ 7k in 6th.

Why is 166 suprising? My E36 M3 did 155 with 2 extra people and a chip on I5 North (Proven by GPS and rev limiter [3.15 in 5th])
                              Originally posted by rneedham1979 View Post
                              1+
                              Originally posted by JGood View Post
                              You have a full interior, what kind of weight reduction did you do to lose that much weight? That's impressive.

Might want to find a set of accurate scales. I weighed my car at a steel manufacturing plant weigh station, and it was over 100lb off of what the drag strip scale said.

Also, was that a gauge indicated or GPS/radar verified 166? Most e30's are around 5% high, some more, some less. My m50 car gauge reads like 10% high.

I am about 110% sure a 230whp car will not be doing 180mph. Maybe if you get to 350hp or so. And I sure hope you have the tires/suspension/aerodynamics to support those speeds, otherwise you will be roadkill.
                              The stock speedo is trash. I don't trust it really. The scale I went to was a landfill. They make there money on accurate measuring. I highly doubt they are off by 100lbs. But I can see a variance of 10Lbs.

Refer to post above ^
                              Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post

Please notice comment on the flying brick part of my post. I am going to run out of power first. But I plan on changing that soon.

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                              There is a big difference in weight between an M42 and a S52 plus the added weight of the six speed. They weigh more than a ZF 310 or 320.

180 mph that's a good laugh.
                              Why yes. Yes it is. The 6 speed is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier.

Originally posted by Mr Two View Post
                              2540 with a 1/2 tank of gas an no driver. Car had full interior minus carpet and rear seat, no spare, no sound deadening left, and weight loss from a full exhaust and wheels.

Also wanting to know what weight reduction you have done
                              Posted above.

Originally posted by JeffRR View Post
                              160~170 depending on tire SLR is theoritically the highest attainable speed @7K engine RPM (0.83 6th, 3.73 FD and 235/40R17tire) with 0 drag.

In order to overcome the drag at that speed you'd need approx 300ft-lb @ 7K RPM at the engine.

Don't trust the speedo. Its shit. And yes. I will for sure run out of power. But I did do 166. It has maybe another 4mph. MAYBE
                              Originally posted by e30esque View Post
                              Or some turbo love. Turbos make torque too!
                              I have a friend with a 400WHP turbo M3. Why yes, yes they do.

Originally posted by bostonbmw View Post
                              I think >140mph you will need to measure your speed in knots....
                              Ahoy matey.

My rev limiter doesn't lie. A set of cams, 3.5" HFM, some injectors, some good dyno tuning and we will see what I can do.

As far as the suspension tires.

Bilsteins on 425/475 Springs w/ 21MM front sway. No rear. Falken RT615s, Poly Everything in the rear. Vorshlag Plates.

Soon to be AST 4100's on 245/35/17 BBS RN 17x8 ET40 with RT-615 shoes. I have the rims just waiting on new tires.

Ill try and post some pics tomorrow.
                              Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                              Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                              Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Working...
                              X