A long time coming....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A long time coming....

Well, after years of lurking on numerous e30 boards, I am finally starting out on my project. I thought those of you here whom have gone through this process may appreciate the start on a motor swap.

Here's the details:
    1997 Z3 M52 <90k (torn rear body mount for differential)
    5-spd

1989 e30"is"
    Been mostly stock during it's life with me over the past 10 years.
    Dinan DME chip
    Eibach springs
    Bilstein HD's all 4 corners
    HID retrofit
    Z3 shifter

I love my e30, dunno why some days, but I just love it! I've had both the Z3 and the e30 out of commission for roughly 6 months or better. I'm not gettting any younger and I want my garage back! So here I go, diving in head first.

I want to say thanks to all of you who have posted informative information over the years here @ R3V. It has been an invaluable source of information (albeit, sometimes more entertaining at times!).

I'll post pics as the swap progresses along if there is interest. Any useful tips and help are always appreciated.
    Attached Files

Nice, an alloy block. I'm toying with the idea of yanking the M50 out and sticking in a cammed alloy M52 in a year or so.

You're actually removing weight from the front axle, congrats. :up: Keep us updated! This isn't your only car I assume...

Comment

I like those race ramps :)
      I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
      2875-C Towerview Road
      Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

Congrats
        sigpic

Comment

Lucky bastard, where did you find a single vanos alloy block?! :hitler:

Good luck with your swap! Atleast your car wont suffer in handling from all the added weight that the cast blocks add.

Should be fun! Get some s52 cams, injectors, and a tune while you have the engine out! Well worth the money! :D
          Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
            You're actually removing weight from the front axle, congrats. :up: Keep us updated! This isn't your only car I assume...

Just about...
            N52 255lbs
            M20 258lbs
            M52 (alloy) 260lbs
            M54 277 lbs
            M50 299 lbs

Oh yeah,
            M10 180lbs!
            Last edited by hoveringuy; 01-11-2010, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Well, I gotta say, the whole car came from an old customer of mine. It was his daughter's vehicle and they didn't know what to do with it! So, I took the opportunity......

Race Ramps - For those of you whom are familiar with this product, it is by far the best ramp to have out there. I have both the 2 piece ramps for the front and the 8" wheel cribs for the rear. Great customer service and will plug for them any chance I can.

I am on the hunt for S52 cams/springs currently. Also S52 injectors.

As far as a tune goes, lots to ponder. Turner Motorsports? I know there is one other guy out there, I believe in Canada, who does not only a chip but the EWS delete option as well. I will have to search though my bookmarks and find him again unless someone has it readily available off hand.

I plan to set in the motor/trans to take some measurements then do a small bit of internal rework to the engine. During this time I plan to lay out the stock m52 harness and figure out routing and component placement.

Speaking of components, anyone here have a source for C101? Spares laying about in the garage you don't need anymore? LMK....

Comment

Originally posted by My89is View Post

As far as a tune goes, lots to ponder. Turner Motorsports? I know there is one other guy out there, I believe in Canada, who does not only a chip but the EWS delete option as well. I will have to search though my bookmarks and find him again unless someone has it readily available off hand.
                You might be referring to Mark D Sylvia
                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Glen?
                  Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                  Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                  Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

keep at it... soon enough you'll be firing it up in no time.
                    [PAKSIW]
                    20D .........
                    vmwerks :up:
                    ryan gmw :up:

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                      Just about...
                      N52 255lbs
                      M20 258lbs
                      M52 (alloy) 260lbs
                      M54 277 lbs
                      M50 299 lbs

Oh yeah,
                      M10 180lbs!
                      One of the guys who actually weighed both engines (Drew325is IIRC) removed ~50lbs from the front of his car going from M20 to M52. The weights were comparable.

Comment

Bringing this one back fromt he dead... Any updates? Get that motor in?

I'm curious on your final setup/tune and power output....

Which motor is this? M52B25, M52B25TU or M52B28?

I'm thinking this engine in an E30 could make an excellent SCCA STU car....
                        Ben
                        Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
                        April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
                        May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
                        October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
                        October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
                        Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                        X