Suggestion for swappers!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for swappers!!

I recently did my vanos m50 swap. I thought I had all of the bases covered:new water pump, thermostat, flywheel seal, shifter rebuild, etc-etc. One thing I never saw mentioned was to replace the gasket for the oil filter housing. It wasnt a bad job in the car but would be easier on a stand.

A complete top and bottom end gasket/seal set it is usually suggested, but not always done. Some people think intake and exhaust gaskets, and rear main seal with oil pan gasket and it's good to go, but not the case.

Comment

Yea. I did all the important ones but somehow missed this one, dont even remember seeing it mentioned. Of course mine leaked, it was very brittle when I took it apart. The heat killed it for sure..

Comment

I've heard about that before. On some people's car it becomes stiff and leaks so I changed mine out just for peace of mind. Mine was still in a good shape though.
        90 E30 S50B30
        http://www.fquick.com/roadhazard/

Comment

It's pretty much common sense to replace old gaskets when the engine is on the stand, not just some gaskets.... imho
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
            It's pretty much common sense to replace old gaskets when the engine is on the stand, not just some gaskets.... imho
            Yeah, and one would think that people would swap out plastic timing components when the overhaul their longblock.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
              Yea, I just missed this one somehow. Just trying to help others. It only took about 45 minutes to do in the car, but obviously way easier when its out. I havent seen this mentioned in the swap thread, thats why its here.

Comment

Don't forget the two O-rings on the back of the oil filter housing. They seal the two galley plugs and leak!

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                  Don't forget the two O-rings on the back of the oil filter housing. They seal the two galley plugs and leak!
                  Just did those today.

I do not think they sell them from BMW but I think the ORings are 22(ID)x2.5MM
                  Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                  Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                  Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                    A complete top and bottom end gasket/seal set it is usually suggested, but not always done. Some people think intake and exhaust gaskets, and rear main seal with oil pan gasket and it's good to go, but not the case.
                    True!

I neglected to change my oil pump stand gasket and it bit me in the ass after my swap.
                    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

My rear main seal is leaking. Arrgg.
                      90 E30 S50B30
                      http://www.fquick.com/roadhazard/

Comment

Working...
                      X