m50 vs. m20 weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m50 vs. m20 weight

how much heavier is the 92 non vanos m50 vs. a 2.5 m20?

thanks

(looking for weights before and after swap if anyone has one.)

also is the weight noticable when going around corners at speed?

the M50 is heavier by around 45lbs. not likely to be noticeable at all, especially with more power. ditch your AC and get a lightweight flywheel and you'll be at less weight than a stock M20.

there's a site that has all the BMW engine weights listed, maybe somebody will be nice and post it for you.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Don't have any actual weighs, but the car understeered a little bit before the swap w/ GC 350f/475r, Koni SAs and stock sways and now feels more balanced. The Treehouse CABs probably have something to do with the better handling. As far as the weight, I think my front end is pretty close to stock since I removed the AC system.
      '91 318is
      sigpic

Comment

BMW Engine FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) Contributed by: Jared Robinson Horsepower quotes may not always reflect US Rating, If there are two HP numbers, lower HP number generally denotes US rating M10 Straight 4 cylinder SOHC 8V. 1966-1987. 83kg 180lbs Used in 1502, 1600-2, E21 316/318i/320-4, E30 316, 2002tii and 2002 turbo 1.5 (75bhp), 1.6 (85bhp), 1.8 … Continue reading Engine FAQ →

read for yourself

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
        On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
        BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Originally posted by Brew
          Don't have any actual weighs, but the car understeered a little bit before the swap w/ GC 350f/475r, Koni SAs and stock sways and now feels more balanced. The Treehouse CABs probably have something to do with the better handling. As far as the weight, I think my front end is pretty close to stock since I removed the AC system.
          Ditto. The S50 is closer to 60lbs heavier but I ditched the AC and moved some stuff a bit farther back. I didnt ever run the AC so I couldnt tell you the difference. If you are really worried get a MA Shaw or IE hood.
          Im now E30less.
          sigpic

Comment

Josh, are you converting to M50 power now? :twisted:

Beau
            1988 BMW 325iS

Comment

What the heck....someone stole my identity :)

Comment

oops sorry I miss took you for Screaming_bmwe30

Beau
                1988 BMW 325iS

Comment

2.7 m20 owns you :P

Comment

Screaming_ guy, not the other one.

Did you run an event up at the OSU Ackerman lot back in like spring of 03?

I think I talked to you then, just trying to put faces to screen names ;)

Nando, fwiw, 45 pounds up front is a fairly noticeable amount depending on suspension setup, and a non-vanos M50 isn't that much of a step up from a healthy M20. That being said, you can tune that weight balance issue out a good bit with suspension, put a built M50/S50 in there, and it becomes irrelevant.

-Charlie
                    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                    FYYFF

Comment

A complete M50 with accessories, a/c, manifolds, flywheel (remember stock is a dual-mass!) is around 427 pounds. I'm not sure what the weight is of a complete M20 with all accessories.

Remember where weight can be dropped with an M50!
                      -flywheel, stock is 27 pounds...run a 8-11 pounder.
                      -exhaust mani's. Run stainless OBD-2 mani's to save a total of 8 pounds.
                      -a/c--save 45-50 pounds with everything.

I dropped just under 75 pounds off the front of my 318 with these mods, and it will duck into corners like it should. I dropped another 50 or so out of the drivers seat, which helped drastically ;)

Comment

Working...
                      X