What did I miss!!?? OBDI S52.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MR E30 325is
    replied
    Another question:

    At WOT and above about 5k I get a bad stumbling and a dramatic loss in power.

    I have deduced that it is because the fuel pump from my 91 318is cant keep up with the fuel demands that my 1998 S52 needs.

    If I am not at WOT i can accelerate into the higher rpms without a problem. Also, in neutral, the car will easily rev to redline. Only under WOT and high rpms do I have this issue.

    So, my question is, what are my options? Should I get a Walbro high flow pump? which model? Or will a pump from an S52 M3 work and fit right into my E30?

    TIA

    Leave a comment:


  • SoEm0
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up. I have done a bunch of motor swaps in different cars but all my friends have their cars registered out of state, so I have not had to deal with the BAR.

    Leave a comment:


  • MR E30 325is
    replied
    After driving the car for a couple hundred miles, it no longer smells like its running rich, and after calculating the fuel mileage when I filled it up today, i got 22 mpg city/highway.

    After changing the oil to 20w50 I no longer have oil burning problems.

    The swap is 100% problem free. Purchasing a few gauges to add to the car so I can more accurately keep track of how its running.

    On another positive/kickass note, last night I took my buddy up to Riverside to look at a supercharged 1998 M3. He ended up buying it. And boy is it fast!! Just a little quicker than my monster, which makes me even happier.

    There is something extremely calming about sitting behind 250 Bavarian M horsepower. I love this car.

    SoEmo, car is registered in AZ, and I had no problems with the M50 that was in it before.

    Leave a comment:


  • SoEm0
    replied
    Glad you got it running I am envious. Are you going to get it certified to smog? If so post up how it goes, I am thinking of a S52 swap for mine.

    Leave a comment:


  • SamE30e
    replied
    Are you running an o2 sensor?

    That would cause the car to go into closed loop and run rich.

    What is the check engine code?

    Leave a comment:


  • gregslow318i
    replied
    Originally posted by MR E30 325is
    New question.

    Is there anything I need to do to fix it running rich?? When i am driving along regularly I cant smell any fuel, but once the pedal goes to the floor (which happens often) I can smell fuel, and literally see the fuel gauge go down. Like visibly move when I press the throttle to the floor.

    Do I need a chip or anything? Guidance would be nice.
    Is it trowing any codes? do you have any aftermarket programing? have you put a afr gauge on to verifi a rich condition?

    Leave a comment:


  • MR E30 325is
    replied
    New question.

    Is there anything I need to do to fix it running rich?? When i am driving along regularly I cant smell any fuel, but once the pedal goes to the floor (which happens often) I can smell fuel, and literally see the fuel gauge go down. Like visibly move when I press the throttle to the floor.

    Do I need a chip or anything? Guidance would be nice.

    Leave a comment:


  • MR E30 325is
    replied
    Thanks for the concern, but the ticking went away. i ran it for about 3 or 4 minutes and added another half quart of oil after doing some research, and the ticking stopped.

    The OBDII coolant temp wiring write up was incorrect, so I had to swap some wires around, and now it runs soo much smoother.

    I have no issues with the car at this point. I drove it on the open road for the first time this evening. and holy shit.......... I am going to get in so much trouble in this car. It doesnt feel fast, but the speedometer climbs sooooo quickly!!!!!

    My life is complete.

    Leave a comment:


  • Adrian_Visser
    replied
    Do you have the oil pressure switch connected?

    Leave a comment:


  • jrdeamicis
    replied
    I would also stop running the car until you KNOW that it has proper oil pressure. Especially since your lifters are ticking....

    Leave a comment:


  • jrdeamicis
    replied
    If the car has been run for more than a minute the lifters should have oil pressure and be bled by now..

    The O - ring and the e34 - 525 oil dipstick bracket work GREAT for holding down the dipstick tube. It is its job. You just dont have to use the funny nipple for your vacuum.

    Leave a comment:


  • bejbis
    replied
    Originally posted by MR E30 325is
    Oil pressure gauge. I will get one this weekend.

    Is it alright to keep driving it, not too fast or for long distances??

    I need a way to seal the oil dipstick tube 100% securely. any ideas?? I was thinking of JB Weld to seal and ensure proper oil pressure.

    The oil pressure gauge isnt on in the car, but the check engine light is.

    Apart from the ticking, the engine is running super smooth and has no other issues. Idles perfectly and runs through the rpms (though I have only taken it to 4k so far) with ease. So brutal and nice!!

    jb weld 'seal the dipstick for proper oil pressure' what? The dipstick tube has nothing to do with the oil pressure.

    If you have run your car for more than 5-10 min or so and it has not locked up, your oil pressure is probably fine.

    Also if your engine sat up for a while without being run the lifters will be a bit loud. It took about a half hour of running for mine to quiet down.

    Leave a comment:


  • MR E30 325is
    replied
    Originally posted by jrdeamicis
    You are trusting the most essential part of your ignition system to get an accurate reading of a wheel spinning @ 7k RPM by using a zip tie to hold it in........

    The CPS is used to turn on the fuel pump and create spark.
    I jacked an allen screw from a downed M3 to properly attach the CPS.

    Oil pressure gauge. I will get one this weekend.

    Is it alright to keep driving it, not too fast or for long distances??

    I need a way to seal the oil dipstick tube 100% securely. any ideas?? I was thinking of JB Weld to seal and ensure proper oil pressure.

    The oil pressure gauge isnt on in the car, but the check engine light is.

    Apart from the ticking, the engine is running super smooth and has no other issues. Idles perfectly and runs through the rpms (though I have only taken it to 4k so far) with ease. So brutal and nice!!

    Still have a few things to wrap up though, clutch needs to be rebled.

    I will update the thread with questions and whatnot as things progress.

    Leave a comment:


  • jrdeamicis
    replied
    Originally posted by MR E30 325is
    crank sensor is connected and properly seated in the little housing on the front of the engine. Does it need to be held in by the screw in order for it to properly work??

    Its held on by a zip tie, cause I dont have the proper allen screw to hold it in.

    The fuel should be going into the rear part of the fuel rail, by the FPR right?? Cause thats how its set up right now.
    You are trusting the most essential part of your ignition system to get an accurate reading of a wheel spinning @ 7k RPM by using a zip tie to hold it in........

    The CPS is used to turn on the fuel pump and create spark.

    Leave a comment:


  • gman325is
    replied
    It may take a while for the oil to get into the lifters, it should get quiter after the oil pressure goes up.

    Leave a comment:

Working...