• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOHC exhaust, Nando's recipe

Almost Nando's recipe...

2" to 2 1/2 Y"

I used 2 1/2" 14gauge 409 stainless tubing. The recipe calls for 3"

Magnaflow 59956 metal cat.

Borla 40358 as as a center muffler/resonator.

Dynomax 17733 rear muffler.

(continued)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hoveringuy; 06-16-2011, 06:30 AM.

Nando's recipe, part 2

How does it sound? The stock e36 M3 pipes I had before were extremely quiet. This is almost as quiet at idle and has more growl when you lean on it, but not too loud. No rasp. It sounds great.

Here's the M3 muffler "before" clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn96Xp_vv5E

Here's the Borla/Dynomax "after" clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3PF6lP_3rs

The M3 stuff weighed a total of 80 lbs, 45 for the muffler and 35 for the cats.

This new system weighs 37 lbs. A 43lb savings!

It failed emissions with the Magnaflow cat. No suprise, but I was curious. Baby penguins were coming out of the exhaust with the stock cats.

See http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=183145

I still need to weld proper mounting tabs on the Borla but it's 99% done. The Borla as a center muffler is key because anything larger just won't fit. The Borla is the perfect size.

A nice benefit is that with Vband clamps and rubber donut mounts it takes about 3 minutes to remove or install this.

Finally, a plug for Columbia River Mandrel. They had the same stuff as Burns Stainless at a fraction of the price, and they shipped FedEX to my door in ONE DAY on all orders!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hoveringuy; 06-16-2011, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Looks nice. The fitment of the Borla looks perfect under there. I'll probably do something similar on my brother's car once we get his s50b32 in his car. We're planning on doing 3" though, not 2.5"
      Just for reference, the Borla 40359 is the same dimensions as yours, but has a 3" inlet and outlet.

It's too bad the Magnaflow cat failed the emissions. Are there any other aftermarket cats out there that might work better?

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
        Looks nice. The fitment of the Borla looks perfect under there. I'll probably do something similar on my brother's car once we get his s50b32 in his car. We're planning on doing 3" though, not 2.5"
        Just for reference, the Borla 40359 is the same dimensions as yours, but has a 3" inlet and outlet.

It's too bad the Magnaflow cat failed the emissions. Are there any other aftermarket cats out there that might work better?
        If I did it again (knowing what I know now...) I'd use the same 2" to 2 1/2" Y and add a cone transition from 2 1/2" up to 3". It would be the perfect transition with the proper pinch.

Most any high-flow muffler won't perform as well as the stock cats.
        Last edited by hoveringuy; 09-15-2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Sounds/looks good.

I'm going to add another center muffler to my car right now its just a cat and a magnaflow with a few small leaks in between.

Comment

The cat you have there isn't even a 1/4 the size of stock cats.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
              If I did it again (knowing what I know now...) I'd use the same 2" to 2 1/2" Y and add a cone transition from 2 1/2" up to 3". It would be the perfect transition with the proper pinch.

Most any high-flow muffler won't perform as well as the stock cats.
              yeah, now that I'm looking at your merge, that's definitely what you want to do.

did you happen to get any pics of the inside of that merge before you put it in?

Looks good, hope you're happy with the sound once it's broken in. I wonder if the cat will get better with more miles? at least it wont smell like rotten eggs.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Interesting setup great for everyday drives and NO droning. I am really debating what style set up am going with on my current build.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

borla PRO XS ftmw... that's exactly what i'm using. but you have too much muffling.
                  where you have the Borla, i have some 14" resonator and the borla out back. best sound ever (everyone thinks their cars is the best sound lol) 2.5” is just perfect for us in terms of power and weight. I almost made it 3” straight to a borla, but nop.. good job good looking exhaust.
                  No more e30s for me.
                  88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                  88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                  91 BMW 325i [sold]
                  86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

he wanted it quiet, it's not too much muffler.. lol
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Stock cats are king if you need to pass emissions. Period.

Aftermarket cats suck. There is a reason you can get $100+ for a BMW stock cat at a scrap place and about $2 for an aftermarket cat, if they buy them at all.

Comment

I'm surprised it's so quiet, given the volume of the mufflers isn't that big.

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Hopefully they don't get loud as they get older, most Borla systems I have seen are on the louder side.
                          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I have several thousand miles on a similar system, it actually got a little quieter.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Ya know what would be awesome, is if someone digitized the rear pipework from the back of the transmission tunnel to an offset muffler. I hate lining up three 45 degree bends on jackstands, tacking them, then welding them. LOL.

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                              X