Relocated stock booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocated stock booster

Has anyone on here slotted the holes and moved their stock booster over instead of replacing it with a smaller one?

Also is it true that the early models had smaller boosters to begin with?
    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

1. Yes
    2. No, or at least not mine.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

OK, I read about both points on e30tech, so I just wanted to see if there was any validity to them. I definately think I'll just move my booster over then and trim the fins on the intake mani unless a good deal on a 944 booster pops up.
      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Early models seem to have bigger booster in overall diameter but thickness they are smaller.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

My 3/87 325iS has the same booster as my 9/89 325i.

Either one could have been replaced in 20+ years though.

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Slotted and moved. I think I got about 1/2", probably not enough for the stock booster but it helps.

Comment

I moved mine over, and shaved the fins. There's not much clearance, but I could of moved mine a little more. I think 5/8 ths is about the limit.

Comment

Make sure you pedal doesn't get in a bind. When I installed my IX booster. I slotted it a little lower which gave room for the e34 mc/resv which gave room for the intake boot. TAHDAH!!!
                NASA
                BMWCCA member
                PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                1997 M3 sedan
                2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Hm. So I guess even with trimming the fins and slotting the holes I wouldn't be able to use the stock booster on my 84 318. Time to look for a 944/Ix booster.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Ive owned/raced a few 944's and the brakes are ok,but I really like the feel of my IX booster over the 944.
                    NASA
                    BMWCCA member
                    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                    1997 M3 sedan
                    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

The IX booster is definitely the way to go.

Comment

i have an ix booster, going to try using the stock one first, if i cant get it to fit, then ill use the ix
                        sigpic

Comment

forgotten but the iX booster is pretty much the same as the 530/540 setup in the e34 correct?

Comment

I slotter the booster and moved it over on 3 different swaps I have done.
                            Moved it to the right 1/2 inch and all was well. I have also notched the intake and plastic welded a new piece in on 2 different swaps and that worked well also..
                            I would def just go with the ix booster. The braking power is much nicer..

Comment

When I did RX7 calipers and the e21 booster it was ok but was too spongy so I tried a bigger MC and that just made the pedal harder. E21 booster is good in a pinch but iX seems to better as it has more vacuum.

Comment

Working...
                              X