What if... Your cams were mismatched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if... Your cams were mismatched?

I broke a cam (intake side) during installation and got another used set. I had S50 cams - but now I think that the used set I bought must have not been from an S50. Maybe it is from an M52 or M50.

So I am thinking I have the S50 exhaust cam, and a vanos intake cam from a different motor. What would happen if this were the case?

Please help... I need a lot of it.

edit: My motor is OBD1. My block is 3.2 liter, with s52 pistons and TurnerMSport chip modified for S50 cams.

No suggestions?

Comment

The results would not be great, but I don't think anything terrible would happen.

Comment

as long as its timed right, there wont be any damage to the engine. the car will obviously just run like poo because the cam's dont match the program in the ecu.

Comment

There is a visual difference in the lobe shape. I have a thread in here somewhere with comparison pictures. Once you see the difference and know what to look for, you'd be able to look at yours and tell (if you didn't do that prior to installing).

You can also measure them if it comes down to it (I have the lift and duration specs in that same thread).
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

it will run worse if the cam with the bigger lift/duration is on the exhaust side
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X