Who's Running No Charcoal Canister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's Running No Charcoal Canister?

My swap has been running great with no charcoal canister for nearly 2 years now. I set it up by plugging the fuel tank vent line that used to run to the charcoal canister. I also drilled a hole in my gas cap to let air replace the gas as its used. Obviously, this is not ideal, but it has worked fine with no "gas smell" emitted or other problems.

...until recently. I attended an autocross with a full tank of gas. Afterward, there was evidence of a small amount of gas spilling from the hole in the gas cap. Thats no good!

I'm thinking of placing a breather on the end of the vent line that I previously plugged and getting a new gas cap.

I'm afraid the fumes emitted from the vent line/breather could be very bad to emit under the hood. Give me some thoughts.
    Thanks
    S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
    What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Get a new gas cap.

Hook the vent hose to the purge valve and then to the throttle body and just get rid of the charcoal canister.

Comment

Is the purge valve powered? I replaced an electrical component of the system with a resistor to avoid a CEL. I don't recall if it was the purge valve. I think I may eventually do what you have suggested or even reinstall the whole canister system.

For now, will a breather on the vent line be ok? Or will I be creating a bomb?

The lack of any gas vapor smell from my drilled gas cap leads me to believe that the vapors are pretty minimal and probably not a major concern, but I'd like to hear if anyone is setup like this. (breather on the vent line)
      Last edited by Lof8; 02-17-2011, 10:40 AM.
      S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
      What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
      Originally posted by slammin.e28
      I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by nwvb bmw View Post
        Get a new gas cap.

Hook the vent hose to the purge valve and then to the throttle body and just get rid of the charcoal canister.
        im running mine this way too.works good

yes the purge valve is powered,just replaced mine.I honestly would hook it up this way. on my last project,vw rabbit i had the same issues as you but worse I would avoid the headaches and just hook it up minus the canister.i always had a gas smell in the car with half tank of gas.some will tell you to hook up your canister but not sure if a 20+ year charcoal canister has any life left in it.My set up works great.
        Last edited by crazyvwobie; 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
          Is the purge valve powered? I replaced an electrical component of the system with a resistor to avoid a CEL. I don't recall if it was the purge valve. I think I may eventually do what you have suggested or even reinstall the whole canister system.

For now, will a breather on the vent line be ok? Or will I be creating a bomb?

The lack of any gas vapor smell from my drilled gas cap leads me to believe that the vapors are pretty minimal and probably not a major concern, but I'd like to hear if anyone is setup like this. (breather on the vent line)
          You can just unplug the vent line and let it vent to the atmosphere. I have an E36 set up like this and it works fine.

Comment

I just plugged the nipple on the throttle body and have the purge valve vented to atmosphere, havnt had a problem yet.

Comment

You can plug the port on the TB and remove everything back to the gas tank.
              And use #15. You can leave the valve plugged in if it throws a CEL and tuck it
              somewhere.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...10&hg=16&fg=10

Charley

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
                You can plug the port on the TB and remove everything back to the gas tank.
                And use #15. You can leave the valve plugged in if it throws a CEL and tuck it
                somewhere.

Charley
                am I missing something? why go to all that trouble?I understand removing the charcoal canister ,I had no place to put it.It seems like a lot of trouble to remove all that stuff when you can just delete the canister and plug it back into the tbody maybe have to buy a foot of fuel line.I drove my car all last week with the tbody blocked off with the purge valve open in the engine bay and i kept smelling gas fumes.I reconected it yesterday when the new valve showed up and I dont smell fumes anymore .

Comment

i am running the charcoal canister, even on the turbo m50 race car, i like to keep gas vapors where they belong....

i am running the e34 charcoal bracket and have it mounted behind the headlight, works great!

Comment

p.s. if you just plug it into the throttle body without the canister you WILL place vacuum on the gas tank and place a greater strain on your fuel pump and possibly collapse the tank.

Comment

so the purge valve opens (when?) and lets the gas Tank? fumes enter the throttle body for combustion.. ?

Comment

nevermind, after using the above link and this one, i made sense of it and answered my questions. And Yes, the fuel tank vents through the charcoal canister, into the throttle body through the open purge valve.

but when does the purge valve open? normal operating temps? what?

Comment

the only thing to gain by removing it is reduced fuel economy and higher emissions

the purge valve is PWM and opens on an RPM/load dependent basis. it's closed at idle and at WOT.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
                            p.s. if you just plug it into the throttle body without the canister you WILL place vacuum on the gas tank and place a greater strain on your fuel pump and possibly collapse the tank.
                            all the charcoal canister does is act like a filter for the fumes not sure how not having it would place more vavuum on the tank?I just replaced my purge valve because it was stuck open and that was pulling vacuum from the tank.Now thats fixed I have no pressure when I take my gas cap off so their is no vacuum being pulled anymore.I think the only way thats true is if the valve is junk.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              the only thing to gain by removing it is reduced fuel economy and higher emissions

the purge valve is PWM and opens on an RPM/load dependent basis. it's closed at idle and at WOT.
                              not being a smart ass but please explain how not having the canister effects mpg because I have removed them from other cars and never noticed a change in mpg .I honestly beieve it does not effect mpg or not enough to matter.I dont believe it effects emissions much either as far as emissions go I believe the purge valve it opens when you start the car so wouldent the vapor get burned up anyway?what am i missing?If its venting to the atmosphere thats another story.I believe european cars not have them either?

Comment

Working...
                              X