S50 swap- No Crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 swap- No Crank

Hey everyone. So this last weekend I swapped in an s50 into my 318is. A little background- s50 was out of a friends car that had a warped head (he put in a s50b32.) I pulled the head, replaced all the gaskets and headstuds, rod bearings/bolts, blah blah. Also swapped in a zf trans, euro clutch/flywheel, e30 m3 driveshaft, 2.93 lsd, 3.5" maf, silver label 413 with a turner chip. I also converted the engine harness to a c101 connector.

So, we got the motor out friday night, and got everything else in Saturday and Sunday morning. I turned the car on to start up before we put the coolant and radiator in and there was nothing. Turns out we forgot the main ground on the motor We stuck the ground on and tried again. Still nothing, so I clipped the ews wire (green #66). This time, there was a click, but the starter didn't do anything. All interior stuff works except the windows won't move up or down

And that's pretty much where it ended. I had to head out of town for the week for work, so I'm trying to gather ideas for when I get back.

Sorry for the long post, trying to include as much info as possible.

Cliffs: Swapped in s50, won't crank, windows don't work.

Thanks!
    Midwest Spec E30 #64

https://www.facebook.com/thestickergarage

try to start the engine by directly jumping the starter and see if it will spin the engine.

Comment

Clipping the EWS wire won't fool it into starting is the turner chip delete EWS from the DME?

This is beside the point since it would still turn over regardless. As for the cranking check the simple stuff first, are you sure your battery isn't just dead or you that you don't have a bad connection at the battery terminals?

Then verify the connections at the + junction point in the engine bay.

This thread is what you need for that:

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Thanks, I'll take a look at the other thread. I'm not sure if the chip has an ews delete. I know the battery is good because I drove the car an hour and a half on Friday. Might try and have my buddy jump the starter and see what happens.
        Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

No crank has nothing to do with EWS. It'll crank with no ECU at all.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Check and verify that the small wire that runs to the starter, and the small wire running to the alternator are not reversed. If you dont actually check its an easy mistake to make. This will keep the car from cranking, as your keyed power would be going to the wrong place.
            Originally posted by blunttech
            Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
              No crank has nothing to do with EWS. It'll crank with no ECU at all.
              Yes I realize this.

Originally posted by giantkeeper View Post
              Check and verify that the small wire that runs to the starter, and the small wire running to the alternator are not reversed. If you dont actually check its an easy mistake to make. This will keep the car from cranking, as your keyed power would be going to the wrong place.
              From what I remember we bolted it into the top stud on the starter as it was the only one it would fit.
              Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

all 12v wires hooked up and grounded from block to body?

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                  all 12v wires hooked up and grounded from block to body?
                  The one smaller 12v line going towards the fuse box is taped off... I read that it is not needed, is that wrong? The larger of the two going towards the fusebox goes to the starter.

So as far as EWS is concerned I can't just do this-

e36-tech.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, e36-tech.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                  Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

Originally posted by jeffmn8 View Post
                    From what I remember we bolted it into the top stud on the starter as it was the only one it would fit.
                    I said the same thing, but check anyhow. Your smallest is the ground, you should check the middle size which is keyed power...or what allows you to crank the starter.
                    Originally posted by blunttech
                    Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

We got the car working.. turns out the starter solenoid was stuck, I tapped it with a wrench and it turned over no problem. I also ended up getting a red label dme from a junkyard and the car started and ran fine.

Now I just need to get the exhaust done, get a Spal fan, and get an aftermarket coolant temp gauge because the stock e30 sender isn't working..
                      Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

Working...
                      X