98-99 e36 323is into e30??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
    It may make the same power, but it's more reliable and efficient and has torque. M20 no have tq.
    except it makes the same amount of torque (stock)

of course you could do an OBD1 manifold and M52B28 exhaust to help. but if you're going to do all that I still think the M52b28 is a better choice. I don't know that the few lbs shaved by the alloy block is really worth it.. they aren't as strong, either.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

apparently the aluminum 3.0 is the most reliable one built by bmw before transitioning into the newer (even lighter) inlines...oh there must be a few 'totals' kicking around with engines intact.....this would probably transcend even metric mechanic upgrades (10k is just too much imo)

Comment

As awesome as the M52 alloy block is, unfortunately because it has a 24v cylinder head along with timing chain instead of timing belt it actually ends up weighing in at around the same as an M20.

Depending on how you measure it apparently bare stripped without accessories such as power steering pump, etc it is slightly heavier but with accessories compared to an M20 with accessories it is about 4kg lighter.

Another good thing is that the engine should sit lower as it is cantered 30 degrees instead of the M20's 20 degrees but I cannot confirm this.

No disrespect to the M20s as they are great motors for what they are but I'd definitely take an M52 2.5l alloy block over an M20 2.5l to place into an E30. Ok sure the peak power and torque figures for a lightly worked M20 2.5l are not far off at all off a 2.5l 24v motor but the 24v engine is the superior motor because:

1. Better spread of power and torque over a greater rev range
        2. Better fuel efficiency
        3. Better refinement
        4. Better engine management
        5. Better ability to take consistently high revs (no rocker arms to break)
        6. Coil on plug ignition > distributor

And for you guys who are scared of an alloy block motor because an iron block is stronger - sure thing you are right. Iron blocks are stronger but this never comes into factor unless you are boosting the motor or trying to build a ridiculously high RPM screamer. For all other applications is completely fine and the weight savings at the front of the car are extremely welcome.

Sure a 2.5l 24v powered E30 is not super fast but it certainly does not mean it is not worth the effort.
        Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_328i View Post
          As awesome as the M52 alloy block is, unfortunately because it has a 24v cylinder head along with timing chain instead of timing belt it actually ends up weighing in at around the same as an M20.

Depending on how you measure it apparently bare stripped without accessories such as power steering pump, etc it is slightly heavier but with accessories compared to an M20 with accessories it is about 4kg lighter.

Another good thing is that the engine should sit lower as it is cantered 30 degrees instead of the M20's 20 degrees but I cannot confirm this.

No disrespect to the M20s as they are great motors for what they are but I'd definitely take an M52 2.5l alloy block over an M20 2.5l to place into an E30. Ok sure the peak power and torque figures for a lightly worked M20 2.5l are not far off at all off a 2.5l 24v motor but the 24v engine is the superior motor because:

1. Better spread of power and torque over a greater rev range
          2. Better fuel efficiency
          3. Better refinement
          4. Better engine management
          5. Better ability to take consistently high revs (no rocker arms to break)
          6. Coil on plug ignition > distributor

And for you guys who are scared of an alloy block motor because an iron block is stronger - sure thing you are right. Iron blocks are stronger but this never comes into factor unless you are boosting the motor or trying to build a ridiculously high RPM screamer. For all other applications is completely fine and the weight savings at the front of the car are extremely welcome.

Sure a 2.5l 24v powered E30 is not super fast but it certainly does not mean it is not worth the effort.
          Well said. After seeing more than 4 E46's with pulled threads due to overheating the Al blocks I'm staying with teh good ol Fe, If they made an Fe M52TU/M54 block I'd be all over it.
          Originally posted by 325Projectz
          don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
          :nice:

Comment

teh good ol Fe???

What on earth are you on about?
            Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_328i View Post
              teh good ol Fe???

What on earth are you on about?
              Originally posted by 325Projectz
              don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
              :nice:

Comment

Hooray for pearlite.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by JinormusJ
                Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

nice ... lol

Comment

Working...
                  X