what valve springs should i get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what valve springs should i get?

well i am doing the s50 cams into my m50 soon, so along with a new/rebuilt vanos i am going to be replacing my valvesprings. my revlimit i am looking for is to be set at 7100. i was going to order some s50 valve springs, but researched and saw that m50NV double valvesprings would drop right in and work...
    curious if i should just run the NV valve springs for added peace of mind, or will they hinder any performance?

price they are all within pennies of eachother so no worries there.

input guys?

I ran stock 328 springs and I'm running a m50 2.9 with 244 degree cams and they work fine

Comment

I've got stock m50 springs in my motor with s52 cams. Limiter set at 7200. Been holding up fine so far
      E30 m50/s52 turbo partout:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=236224

AEM EMS setup for BMW:
      http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1781886

Comment

the NV springs are heavier. they might be slightly stiffer, but if it were me, I'd want the lighter S50 springs. when it comes to high RPM, lighter = better.

I'd be more worried about lifter bleed out in a highish RPM M50 than valve spring stiffness..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          the NV springs are heavier. they might be slightly stiffer, but if it were me, I'd want the lighter S50 springs. when it comes to high RPM, lighter = better.

I'd be more worried about lifter bleed out in a highish RPM M50 than valve spring stiffness..

Yah. I had to replace the head on my S50 with one from an M50....I still have the full set of M50 springs/retainers left over if interested. I'd put in new retainers as a precaution though.
          '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

NV springs will hinder you're performance. It's more drag on the engine.

Comment

So just go with the s50 springs. And then oem new retainers?

Comment

Originally posted by devon.818 View Post
                So just go with the s50 springs. And then oem new retainers?
                Go with the 96-99 M52/S52 valve springs, retainers, lifters and cam trays, these are all lighter components. It will fit M50/S50 head and valves just fine.

Comment

Fact:
                  Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                  Go with the 96-99 M52/S52 valve springs, retainers, lifters and cam trays, these are all lighter components. It will fit M50/S50 head and valves just fine.
                  Originally posted by 325Projectz
                  don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                  :nice:

Comment

Working...
                  X