No announcement yet.

Banging, running like shit!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your ground on all your coil packs, some M52's have a solid plate under them, and I have seen some individually grounded. I would also change out all 6 coils or borrow 6 as they do not always throw a code right away. I had the same sound and it was coils related- same non idle too

Comment

my 99.99% sure of no vacuum leaks was not enough for me anymore, i tore the entire intake off and redid all the vacuum lines with brand new hose. I am 100% sure there are ZERO vacuum leaks now!

I have 2 DME's, both run it the same

I am getting a bunch of other coils tomorrow, so i will be giving that a go as well. And yes, my coils all share a metal plate that is grounded twice to the valve cover bolts... In my experimenting i have added more ground wires to this point to rule that out.
      Last edited by MattM; 10-26-2011, 07:04 PM.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Originally posted by 325issguy View Post
        Could be massive vaccume leak
        A vacuum gauge would reveal or rule this out.

Comment

actually my m20 made a noise liek this when i lost spark on 2 cylinders

sounded like a wrx too lol

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
          89' 318i

Comment

Originally posted by Gruelius View Post
            actually my m20 made a noise liek this when i lost spark on 2 cylinders

sounded like a wrx too lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhohT968Hyg
            He's not getting combustion in bank 1 cyl's, either fuel or ignition timing for the millinith time!!!!!
            Originally posted by 325Projectz
            don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
            :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
              He's not getting combustion in bank 1 cyl's, either fuel or ignition timing for the millinith time!!!!!
              which and why is the question...lol

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Originally posted by MattM View Post
                which and why is the question...lol
                I would come over and help, but iz warmblooded.
                Originally posted by 325Projectz
                don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                :nice:

Comment

So 24v cyl. banks are 1-2-3 and 4-5-6? Interesting. I know m20's are 1-3-5 and 2-4-6.

Comment

New wiring harness, coil packs, and injectors didnt change a thing... basically here is wahts happening:

WITHOUT MAF
                    - engine seems to be idling fine, doesnt make any banging noises(seems to be running on all 6 now...)
                    - Refuses to rev, stalls if attempted, you can work the throttle VERY slowly and get the revs to go up, but will not hold, and engine dies when you release throttle

WITH MAF
                    - Starts and runs for a second then dies, repeats everytime
                    - Throttle response is there
                    - If throttle is held it will stay running, occasional banging...

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

WITH MAF
                      - Starts and runs for a second then dies, repeats everytime
                      - Throttle response is there
                      - If throttle is held it will stay running, occasional banging...[/quote]

Mine did this too, I had my AFM truned around:loco:. I'm sure this is not your cars problem, just thought I'd share. You have the OBD2 setup right? Its sucks but maybe, flurt with the idea of converting over to OBD1, if all else fails that is. It does seem either the cars out of timing or getting to much fuel. My buddys s50 would slap/pop but TMS sent him the wrong software.. We changed the software and it ran perfect after.
                      sigpic

Comment

after doing some reasearch and taking some measurements and notes from a working M52, i have learned that my vanos is stuck in the engaged position... Mechanically stuck... with the engine off the Vanos is fully advanced.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

I figured it was something within that vicinity. Guess you could replace the vanos unit with relative ease.

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

Hi, hope you fixed it. I have a spare vanos in the garage. I would re-check your cam timing just to make sure that was not the problem and the knock you heard hopefully was not a valve hitting a piston.you need the flywheel lock tool and the cam timing tool..It is a pain to get the flywheel to lock as it where you can't see it and usually has alot of crud around it.good luck

Comment

Working...
                            X