CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jean View Post
    Nice job, what cat did you use that it failed though? And thanks for confirming about pre-MAF scenario on OBD1 cars!
    I knew I had forgotten something…
    I have used OEM cats of unknown mileage (I was told 100k but who knows).

I do wonder if I would have passed had I really warmed them up. My 25mph numbers are pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by raj View Post
      I knew I had forgotten something…
      I have used OEM cats of unknown mileage (I was told 100k but who knows).

I do wonder if I would have passed had I really warmed them up. My 25mph numbers are pretty decent.
      The 15 MPH test has twice the load as the 25 MPH test...
      (RESOLVED - Click To View) Does the fact that my car failed at one speed but not the other give you any clues? Does the circumstance that the technician had the car running at idle for a long time and the engine temperature rising in the mean time to above normal have any bearing on this result? Thank you for any input you may have.

Comment

Isn't there a fee for smog abatement you can pay at the DMV if your car is 25 years or older and won't pass. You won't need to smog car anymore, is this true?

AB-550

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
          Isn't there a fee for smog abatement you can pay at the DMV if your car is 25 years or older and won't pass. You won't need to smog car anymore, is this true?

AB-550

That bill died.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
            Oh okay, thank you !

Comment

[*] I came very well prepared with a document indicating the VIN and various information about the vehicle.

Just a question, where did you go to get this? I am getting to the point of needing this for my s52, OBD 2 swap. Did you get a statement from a BMW dealer, if so, which one?

Thanks!

Comment

My motor is OBD1, so this was just documentation to make the ref's life easier. For OBD2 I've read you need to go to a dealer.

Comment

Yep, that's what I'm expecting (to have to go to dealer)

Any of you Bay Area guys have a recommendation?

Comment

It's been awhile since my last visit to the referee, so I made an appointment with the BAR at Southwestern College in Chula Vista yesterday. He cleared almost all of my past issues and then came up with a couple of new ones that I need to remedy.

1987 325i with 1999 s52 OBD2 engine

- The evap sensor needs to be set to ready, currently it is not.
                    solution, I shipped the ecu to Markert Motorworks today, he has been most gracious in helping me to get the ecu compliant.

- A code 10 that appears to be an air conditioning fault code. I searched the BAR site and found nothing stated about having the air conditioning operational, only emissions.
                    solution, I contacted the referee, his response is that if it is just an ac thing it should be fine. I have asked for help from Dave Markert on this, hoping he can delete the air conditioning which would eliminate the code 10 fault next time at the BAR. I have all of the ac stuff but would rather not go there now.

- high HC numbers
                    solution, I'm hoping that by having the injectors cleaned that it will cure this issue.

Before the next visit I'm installing new spark plugs, cleaning the air filter and changing the engine oil.

It was proven with the help of 328ijunkie that you do not need the pusher fan / clutch assembly installed. Thank you to Dave on post #121 of this thread, I had that page printed out and handed it to the referee who agreed that it is not a requirement.
                    I installed the throttle body coolant hoses as required from the previous BAR visit.
                    Had the ecu scanned by the local BMW dealership for $175.
                    Got the pusher fan to operate automatically instead of by toggle switch. Should've done this to begin with, kicks on just over the halfway mark every time.

Any input appreciated.

Comment

- high HC numbers
                      solution, I'm hoping that by having the injectors cleaned that it will cure this issue.
                      Can you share your numbers? I'd expect the oil change will help bring this number down as well. What cats are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by raj View Post
                        Can you share your numbers? I'd expect the oil change will help bring this number down as well. What cats are you running?
                        On the 15 mph test I measured 84, with 54 being the max allowed. On the 25 mph test I measured 33 when 37 is the max.
                        I have the oem cats that were pulled with motor on the 83 k mi z3m donor car.
                        The fuel injector's were black around the spray nozzle when I pulled them to be cleaned. I have been getting crappy fuel mileage as well so I hope this will fix that as well as assist in the HC solution.

Comment

I'm getting near the end of this swap and am down to the wiring. I have the entire harness out of a 99 m3 and will be keeping obd2 and all of the smog crap because : California. I want to shoehorn all the wiring into the e30 m3 cowl covering for neatness and I am wondering what wiring can be eliminated from the m3 harness in order to make this a little easier. Anyone got a list?

Thanks,
                          Sean

Comment

CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Something like that will be quite a chore!... Good luck
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Starting my OBD2 conversion (99 S52). Got a couple of questions regarding BAR requirements. When I got the engine I did not get any of the SAP stuff. So I don't know what I am missing yet and totally lost in this area. Hopefully that is the right diagram.

1- The TB has two inlets for coolant hoses, one coming from the head and the other from the metal pipe. Since I will remove the one attached at the head for the temp switch, is it ok to put a T on the other hose and feed both inlets to the TB?

2- Keep the Secondary air injection pump and SAP from the S52 all the way to the intake manifold (Pump, electronic switch and valve). Just the way it comes on the s52.

3- Where does the intake hose (suction hose per realoem) goes. Don't see any inlets in the intake manifold.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Went back in last week, results.

- The evap sensor needs to be set to ready, currently it is not.
                                solution, I shipped the ecu to Markert Motorworks today, he has been most gracious in helping me to get the ecu compliant.

Something didn't take on the ecu, I still have to set the evap as well as the 02 sensor to ready. Communicating with MM to resolve.

- A code 10 that appears to be an air conditioning fault code. I searched the BAR site and found nothing stated about having the air conditioning operational, only emissions.
                                solution, I contacted the referee, his response is that if it is just an ac thing it should be fine. I have asked for help from Dave Markert on this, hoping he can delete the air conditioning which would eliminate the code 10 fault next time at the BAR. I have all of the ac stuff but would rather not go there now.

The code 10 fault was resolved by MM on the ecu and I can confirm that it is not required to have the ac system operational to pass BAR.

- high HC numbers

Before the next visit I'm installing new spark plugs, cleaning the air filter and changing the engine oil.

I still have high HC on the 25 mph test, even higher than the last visit. It was suggested the culprit could be a small air leak, performing smoke test to check. Passed the 15 mph test.

Any input appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X