Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean S.
    replied
    They don't need the VIN from the donor car, I was just hopeful that they would be able to run the donor car vin and see that it was originally sold in CA and thus was originally compliant with CA emissions. No such luck so I had to go to a dealership and have them write how the ECU was not modified and was a California compliant car. $200 later, I had this: Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• e30strokr
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean S. View Post
    Well, technically, I passed ... But even after supplying the title to the donor car and showing the inspector that the VINs all match, I still have to go get a letter from a BMW dealership stating that the ECU has not been altered.

So close, but no BAR sticker!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    im getting my M50 stroker parts ready.. well Im pretty much got everything, but the ref needs the VIN number from the donor car now? I got the motor at Pick N Pull.... ?

Leave a comment:

• hambone64
    replied
    Originally posted by mtech325 View Post

An exhaust shop can modify the downpipes of the e36 midsection for better clearance (I did this with my first m50 swap and it passed BAR), but I'd check with the referee station you're planning on using first. Some referees are more lenient where a full custom exhaust that matches the stock e36 configuration is acceptable, while others are more strict and require a completely unmodified midsection.

If you want to make the unmodified midsection work, you'll have to use the offset "eyeball" arm control arm brackets and clearance the subframe as shown here.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I went ahead and ordered the offset condor solid mount lollipops and will clearance the subframe. Not a huge fan of having to run solid mounts since the car is more of a road car than track car, but I'd rather not take any chances with the BAR process. plus I figure I can get the car legal, then take it to an exhaust shop to be clearanced afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• mtech325
    replied
    Originally posted by hambone64 View Post
    Hey guys,

First post here. I've been doing research trying to find answers around the exhaust. I'm in the process of doing a OBD1 S50 swap and got all original engine, ecu, headers and midpipe from the person who sold me the engine.

My question is, can the midpipe be modified at all if I reuse the 2 stock cats? If not, then how are you guys fitting the midpipe. Mine hits both the sway bar and the lollipop.
    An exhaust shop can modify the downpipes of the e36 midsection for better clearance (I did this with my first m50 swap and it passed BAR), but I'd check with the referee station you're planning on using first. Some referees are more lenient where a full custom exhaust that matches the stock e36 configuration is acceptable, while others are more strict and require a completely unmodified midsection.

If you want to make the unmodified midsection work, you'll have to use the offset "eyeball" arm control arm brackets and clearance the subframe as shown here.

Leave a comment:

• hambone64
    replied
    Hey guys,

First post here. I've been doing research trying to find answers around the exhaust. I'm in the process of doing a OBD1 S50 swap and got all original engine, ecu, headers and midpipe from the person who sold me the engine.

My question is, can the midpipe be modified at all if I reuse the 2 stock cats? If not, then how are you guys fitting the midpipe. Mine hits both the sway bar and the lollipop.

Leave a comment:

• e30devo
    replied
    Thanks for the info from all previous posters.

I found myself wondering what different engines failure limits were, ended up finding the page here. Might be helpful in knowing before testing. https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/c....aspx?make=BMW

ASM 5015 is the 15 mph test, ASM 2525 is the 25 mph test. I matched these to previous posts to verify they are correct, so thanks to those that posted their FAIL/PASS slips!

I'll be trying to pass an OBD2 S52, with all emissions equip...

Leave a comment:

• Sean S.
    replied
    I used a KnN e36 conical filter attached directly to the AFM from the s52. Gotta have the CARB sticker or you will not pass. I printed the exact reference description for the applicable CARB number as well so the ref didn't have to go looking (and potentially get wrong info). Once he verified the sticker number applied to the year of engine, he didn't really say anything else about it. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• bradmer
    replied
    Originally posted by fastestbox View Post
    What airbox are you OBDII guys running to pass BAR? The Z3 one I have doesn't seem to fit at all and I really don't want to move the ABS module. I know there's CARB certified airboxes for e36 that may work, but since I'm BARing mine as a Z3, I don't believe I can use them.

Rogue Engineering sells it,
    http://www.rogueengineering.com/

ECIS-INT1998-2000 M Coupe/Roadster ECIS Cold Air Intake

I have a Z3M motor in my 87, I am close to passing and have had this CAI already approved by the ref. Comes with a sticker and heat shield you need to customize.

Leave a comment:

• fastestbox
    replied
    What airbox are you OBDII guys running to pass BAR? The Z3 one I have doesn't seem to fit at all and I really don't want to move the ABS module. I know there's CARB certified airboxes for e36 that may work, but since I'm BARing mine as a Z3, I don't believe I can use them.

Leave a comment:

• Sean S.
    replied
    Finally!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sean S.
    replied
    Well, technically, I passed ... But even after supplying the title to the donor car and showing the inspector that the VINs all match, I still have to go get a letter from a BMW dealership stating that the ECU has not been altered.

So close, but no BAR sticker!

Leave a comment:

• raj
    replied
    I was allowed to watch and even fielded questions the first time. The second time I was asked to sit outside the bay with the rollers but could still watch.

Leave a comment:

• Sean S.
    replied
    At the smog ref right now. Is it normal for them to refuse to let you watch what they are doing? I mean, I sort of get it; don't want to give any secrets away [emoji38], but I can't even be in the vicinity of the car?

Leave a comment:

• raj
    replied
    Originally posted by bradmer View Post
    Would you mind posting the chassis and motor details of your swap?
    Thank you!
    Sure thing…

Chassis: 87 325iS
    Motor: S50 US. Stock headers and mid pipe. New Walker cats. 21.5lb injectors, stock MAF, TRM tune. Castro airbox.

Leave a comment:

• bradmer
    replied
    Originally posted by raj View Post
    I went back to the ref today… and left with a sticker! Notes from the second time around:
    - I was failing before for very high HC and slightly over max NOX.
    - Since the last time, I replaced the cats with new Walker CalCats, cleaned the MAF, and replaced the plugs.
    - I still was close to the max on HC (78/93)
    - The referee was the same one who inspected the car previously. Since nothing changed, the visual inspection went a lot faster, but he did check.
    - I ran the car HARD before I showed up (multiple high RPM pulls), and he put it on the rollers pretty soon after my arrival. I think this was a contributing factor last time, since the car sat for 30+ minutes while they got set up. This time it was more like 20, and most of that time it was idling.
    - They install the sticker in a permanent location on the body. He originally went for the engine bay, but I preferred the passenger's door jamb, so he obliged.

Next I need to get plates, but the hard part is done! Super relieved this process is over with.
    Congratulations raj! Great job!

Would you mind posting the chassis and motor details of your swap?
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X