CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best reason..
    My powder coated obd-1 valve cover is much prettier than the plastic obd-2 cover

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
    1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
    1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
    1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
    2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
    2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
    2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
    2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

Comment

so let's have a concrete question.

is there any way at all to make the S54 cat headers fit inside the e30 frame rail?

how much interference is there? do they interfere with the frame rail? the floor pan? the sway bar? the subframe? the motor mount?

AFAIK, exhaust clearance is the only major hurdle left here. If it can be fixed with a sledge or a welder, it could be overcome.

when I was getting my M50 BAR'd, the tech told me that he passed an S54 E30 some time prior to that. he was a huge hardass, so I'm sure it had the correct headers, somehow. would love to pick that guy's brain.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        so let's have a concrete question.

is there any way at all to make the S54 cat headers fit inside the e30 frame rail?

how much interference is there? do they interfere with the frame rail? the floor pan? the sway bar? the subframe? the motor mount?

AFAIK, exhaust clearance is the only major hurdle left here. If it can be fixed with a sledge or a welder, it could be overcome.

when I was getting my M50 BAR'd, the tech told me that he passed an S54 E30 some time prior to that. he was a huge hardass, so I'm sure it had the correct headers, somehow. would love to pick that guy's brain.
        Hmm. We could make a S54 catted header fitment jig, with M50 flanges, then try to install on your car(s)? That'd be the cheapest/easiest way to figure out the clearancing without pulling and installing an S54. We can duplicate my factory headers when I pull them off in a couple weeks.
        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

(Assuming they dont cancel/ reschedule me tomorrow) Is there any last minute tips on what I can do to be prepared for the referee tomorrow? My appt is at 8am, planning on driving it hard there and leaving it running the whole time, he's already run it through the tests of all the equipment so Im hoping he will just throw it on the rollers and run it. I really hope this new chip does the trick.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

If you're lucky, he won't turn your car off.

Mine did, it sat for an hour and a half before it ran on the rollers, and it was 40 degree ambient.

If all you're waiting on is the sniffer test, and he's passed all the swap components, then you're 99% there. If he's going to look at stuff, just make it look presentable and professional, not half-assed in a parking lot after half a case of beer. That's about my only tip!

Good luck!!
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Thanks!

Yea this guys name is Ron. He's pretty cool, last time he actually told me to go drive it around a little before he started all his tests because it had been sitting for a while, but theres a million speedbumps at Compton College so I dont think I did a very good job of heating it back up. Some lady in a POS passat was delaying my appt. This time Im first up to bat, at 8am so yea. fingers crossed. Then next up is the exhaust. I'll update this thread after... again assuming they dont cancel on me
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Excited to hear results!

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Originally posted by clavinZERO View Post
                  Excited to hear results!
                  I wish I had good news...well... not the results anyone wants to see. Failed again, and it was actually worse this time. I drove the car hard on the way, but arrived early and decided I would leave the car running while I waited. Idled for probably 15-20 minutes before he finally started the test. I'll let the pics tell the rest.

Waiting

And rolling

Heres a scanned copy of my December results

and heres the scanned copy of todays results. Only change was the chip. Looks like Im going to need to change the cat, but that means Im also going to have the supersprint muffler installed also. #silverlining

Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    I wish I had good news...well... not the results anyone wants to see. Failed again, and it was actually worse this time. I drove the car hard on the way, but arrived early and decided I would leave the car running while I waited. Idled for probably 15-20 minutes before he finally started the test. I'll let the pics tell the rest.

and heres the scanned copy of todays results. Only change was the chip. Looks like Im going to need to change the cat, but that means Im also going to have the supersprint muffler installed also. #silverlining
                    looks like your timing was reduced which is good but youre still runing a smidgen rich...

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                    Full Product Line Tuning
                    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                      looks like your timing was reduced which is good but youre still runing a smidgen rich...
                      I hope a new cat will be enough, even though Im running a little rich. I tried to let them know what my deal was when I ordered the chip, but I have no reason to believe its not just another off the shelf chip that "fits" my setup
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        I hope a new cat will be enough, even though Im running a little rich. I tried to let them know what my deal was when I ordered the chip, but I have no reason to believe its not just another off the shelf chip that "fits" my setup
                        Any updates on your BAR test?

Comment

I have a new chip from TRM that Im going to try and get a "pre-test" done to see what it spits out, but with a wedding in less than a month I have very little free time to play with the E30. Hopefully next weekend I can find a few hours to swap the brake pads (something else Ive been lagging on), change the chip and go get it tested
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Ok, so I've been reading all through these threads and would still like advice from some of you who have successfully done (meaning successfully passed BAR) the s52 swap.

This is going into an 88 vert.

What all do I need to do this swap?

I have both OBD I and II harnesses. Which is the one to use? I'm not looking to get one over on the state, just get it done and have no future hassles. Any other components I need to start stockpiling? (Charcoal cannister, etc?)

Thanks!

Comment

You would need to do everything that MrGreen did
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

I am in the process of completing this myself. I will be posting a big thread one of these days with photo details, just as I have done with my 5 lug swap documentation.

Once I get the fuel pressure switch and carbon canister mounted in/near trunk, I will see the BAR.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                                HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                                **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Working...
                                X